Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: 1000 DAYS AT SEA - How long do you think they will be able to stay at sea
0 to 6 months 40 40.40%
6 to 12 months 24 24.24%
12 to 18 months 5 5.05%
18 to 24 months 10 10.10%
24 to 30 months 2 2.02%
30 to 36 months 1 1.01%
THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE IT! 17 17.17%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2007, 22:25   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
There is a link to their blog in this thread.

Now I am not normally a conspiracy theorist but in browsing the blog a picture they apparently took of their gps as they crossed the equator caught my eye. The reflection of the person appears to be bald in the front and definitely not dark skinned. All the shots of him show a full head of hair.

He wears a toupe?
There is a 3rd person on the boat?
They had a visitor?
This is not his picture or his gps and they are on a beach somewhere sipping mai-tais?

Take a look about half way down the page - 1000days.net - Home
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 01:21   #47

Well spotted. It certainly doesn't look like the skipper. (Or the crew) Much darker hair, and much less of it. Actually it looks like Paverotti. The conspiracy deepens.......
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 02:59   #48

Without any "Proof"I would say it is him.At times he sounds vain.On land he would have grown his hair longer which would "cover-up the fact that he has a receading hair line.At sea I would imagine a hair cut or two to save on washing and wasting water.Personly,if I was doing what they are,I'd shave the whole lot off.

If ya have ever spent 4 weeks at sea on a commercial reef fishing boat,you would notice a lot of changes to hair colour and thickness.It ain't no pleasure cruise.ie.. not heaps of resh water and appearences to keep up.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 05:29   #49

Boat: Sabre 42
I think its her taking the picture... with a bandanna on... or her hair pulled back. If you look closely below the ear, you can see the edge of the bandanna.

The bottom right of the reflection definitely is an alien though... so I think the Mars Ocean Odyssey is more real than we know.

Or... they are on a beach somewhere. Either way... they are not sitting in my cube being a slave to the $. I know that for sure, because thats where I am... and very few people care enough to blog/post about it.
Old 20-09-2007, 09:34   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Some people will do anything for their fifteen minutes of fame. Isn't that his motivation?
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 11:46   #51

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
I thought it was a bit goofy as a project, when I first heard about it, but pretty much everything is goofy from somebody's perspective. Even with their very big stumble early, they have been at sea for 150 days. My tops is 24 and a half. Good for them.
The best parts of a long passage are things like being tired two hours in to your watch and then having a great sunrise that fills you with energy and happiness and you find yourself doing all sorts of work on the boat when minutes before you just wanted to sleep. They are getting rich on all that stuff that makes long distance sailing enjoyable. I'm typing at a computer in my office 30 minutes from my boat, so I would feel pretty foolish throwing any stones at somebody out there, especially folks who seem to be appreciating their time. I hope they achieve their goal, and will be interested to see what happens once they head to the Southern Ocean.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 14:07   #52

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I'm kind of with Mudnut on this one; they're out there doing it and learning (I bet they are a lot better now on watch keeping) and getting the experience needed to complete the trip. Because they left not a prepared as some of us would means nothing to me; most of us would have thought the Pardy's crazy for going around the world in a small sailboat with out an engine, their first time around. And I don't understand Larry's stand again a life boat on a world cruiser, a bit nutty to me. But hey, you'll never hear me lecturing the Pardy's what to do or how to be prepared, heck they use "used" charts whose practise I would question.

In terms of seamanship and experience; if you apply the definition strictly as Erick Lund did in his book "God Foresaken Sea"; all single handers going a long distance exhibit poor seamanship - they have to sleep which means no watch keeping. So could you imagine resurrecting Joshua Slocum and lecturing him on his poor seamanship? Who here would be that.... uh... challenged?

Or how about Sir Chichester on Gypsy Moth? I presume he had to sleep during his circumnavigation so demonstated poor seamanship. But one of his famous quotes still sticks in my mind; I will quote him, but not word for word: "Anyone can sail around the world, but it takes real talent to sail around the world drunk." He was famous for taking 35 bottles of gin on board - had to have his afternoon cocktail you know. So not only did Chichester sleep but he drank while driving as well; I'm not sure any of us would really want to take up the challenge and tell him he exhibited poor seamanship.

At the end of their 1000 day journey, I'm sure they'll write a book and lecture, making money from their efforts; and people will pay to hear them and will purchase their book - heck I might buy it myself.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:00   #53

The problem I see with this venture is the lack of purpose. I wish them luck but what is the point. Have I missed something? Without purpose I doubt they will be successful and if they are so what?
Old 26-09-2007, 08:12   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
The problem I see with this venture is the lack of purpose. I wish them luck but what is the point. Have I missed something? Without purpose I doubt they will be successful and if they are so what?
I will use the standard "for the same reason people climb Everest today"... or the "if you have to ask why, then you don't get it."

I am not saying its something I would do, but I understand why they would want too. Exploration is such a massive part of the human psyche, and is the reason for so many things. Now though, that most the cool/attainable stuff is discovered, and exploration is left to government bureaucracy, or those with alot of cash... people have had to make up their own adventures. Thus... sailing around the world, out of sight of land, for 1000 days... with only a boat, some sprouts, and an internet connection.
Old 26-09-2007, 09:31   #55

Mysticgringo
I will buy that
I wish them luck
Thanks for reminding me that conforming can be death and I think we all have some rebellion in us
Just so few are willing to publicize it and to attempt the non conforming
Old 26-09-2007, 17:35   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
<snip>

with only a boat, some sprouts, and an internet connection.
It's amazing what we consider essential...

I am not criticizing the way the world works but often many of these ventures are commercial in nature. I think that adds a slight amount of hypocrisy to the "because it's there" motivation.

Because it's there and I can make some money at it seems to be a driver these days.

But I get it - Like movies and sports - as long as there are people willing to pay to live vicariously through the exploits of others there will be commercial drivers for advnture.
Old 26-09-2007, 23:23   #57

No matter how long they stay out for,I would like to be there when they land.If only to see how they wobble on solid footings.<GR>.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 05:15   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It's amazing what we consider essential...

I am not criticizing the way the world works but often many of these ventures are commercial in nature. I think that adds a slight amount of hypocrisy to the "because it's there" motivation.

Because it's there and I can make some money at it seems to be a driver these days.

But I get it - Like movies and sports - as long as there are people willing to pay to live vicariously through the exploits of others there will be commercial drivers for advnture.
You know, I was kinda wondering about their connection to the real world during this, and if it lessens their experience. I am sure they would say it doesn't, just because their experience is so rich... or boring... depending on your view. But I think any communication to the world might be bad. And occasional notice about wars, or major world events might be acceptable in a true walk-about/sail-about.

My older sister backpacked through India, and into the Middle East back before internet connections were thought of. She sent postcards, and an occasional phone call, maybe once a month.

I backpacked through Central America, and found internet cafe's everywhere. I communicated a few times a week. While I had an amazing time... I can't help but think that my sister learned more, and grew more doing it without communication to our world.

Maybe they should try going for a few weeks without reporting anything... that would do a few things, they might learn more being truly isolated, and surely it would build internet hype about them... only boosting their marketing.
Old 27-09-2007, 20:26   #59

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Mystic, they said they were going to sea for a 1000 days, not joining a monastery. If you check their site and look at all the photos of friends, etc; I can see why they communicate a lot. The one set of parents I saw looked like they were starting to get long in the tooth and I couldn't help wonder what they would do if one of them past away.

Even if they were to quit now, they have accomplished more than most boaters in the world. Most of us think a month is a long voyage and they've been out for a while now. And when I saw his pics of his boat in Antarctica I realized this guy has some serious sailing under his belt to have gone to those extreme lattitudes which aren't easy lattitudes to sail, again read "Godforesaken Sea" by Derek Lund.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 21:11   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post

My older sister backpacked through India, and into the Middle East back before internet connections were thought of. She sent postcards, and an occasional phone call, maybe once a month.

I backpacked through Central America, and found internet cafe's everywhere. I communicated a few times a week. While I had an amazing time... I can't help but think that my sister learned more, and grew more doing it without communication to our world.
I did a similar thing. Before internet, cell phones and all there was Posta Restante. Your family had a general idea of where you would be and they sent mail ahead of you to general delivery which you picked up at the main post office of the city you were in - Is that even possible today - LOL.

I spent weeks at a time out of touch from friends and family. Now if you don't get an SMS or a Skype call every 6 hours they call search and rescue...

Tags
poll