Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45   #31
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Yearly CF Support

Seriously, though - I do think this is a valid point.

We operate a business and a sailing club way out here in Kuwait and manage to get plenty of stuff sent out here, either by using CC where a supplier allows, or bank transfer where CC payment is not available.

What is wrong with the prospect of CF adopting either of these options?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:50   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
You say that.

I became a mod so I could get a green badge and CF Burgee for free, since I refuse to use Paypal....
That's what I like about the Board of Advisers. Got the green badge plus the burgee without having to mop up all that nasty spam.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's what I like about the Board of Advisers. Got the green badge plus the burgee without having to mop up all that nasty spam.

But did you get an invite to the mod convention?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 20:31   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Reviving this old thread to see if there is any new info to be had here (I can't find anything in the FAQ).

I too would like to financially support CF. It's a great forum for discussion, information and fun. I would even use PayPal to make a one-off credit card payment (I will not link my personal accounts to it though). But the show-stopper for me is the mandatory auto-recurring PayPal payment demanded by CF.

Remove the mandatory auto-recurring demand and I'm in!
Old 02-04-2012, 20:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Reviving this old thread to see if there is any new info to be had here (I can't find anything in the FAQ).

I too would like to financially support CF. It's a great forum for discussion, information and fun. I would even use PayPal to make a one-off credit card payment (I will not link my personal accounts to it though). But the show-stopper for me is the mandatory auto-recurring PayPal payment demanded by CF.

Remove the mandatory auto-recurring demand and I'm in!

Can't you immediately cancel after signing up and the sub would run till it expires?
netplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 21:56   #36

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
We've used PayPal for 10 years or more, both for payments out of a bank checking account and by credit card. Never had a speck of trouble. It's quick, convenient and easy to use. Don't know what all the fuss is about.
well HUD I never. mine never broke so yours is not .

I have never ether but you I know how rude paypal can be when you buy crap off ebay and it was meant to be genuine. verry had company to deal with if ever you have a problem. c/c ring the bank state problem money comes home.

And I would love to support C/F but not till I make that yearly choice. Andy's missing out on some cruising kitty money it cant be cheep running all the servers.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 22:39   #37

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Just a thought, although it does involve a wee bit of hassle. Every once in a while, I get a rebate from some purchase in the form of a pre-paid VISA debit card worth $50 or so. Or, you could get one of these pre-paid cards in a supermarket, Wal-Mart, whatever, and use the card as a "Paypal guest" with minimal risk. Before long, you'll have sucked the card dry and no one can get anything more out of you in connection with the card.
Old 02-04-2012, 22:46   #38

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

"If you do not extend your subscription, access will be removed."

Sounds like a threat. This is an example of poor public/client relations.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:00   #39

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

I don't much care for PayPal either, but there is a workaround for some of the complaints:

Have two PayPal accounts. Use one for credit card purchases, use it for buying stuff. Link the other to an empty bank account (e.g. any of the free accounts offered by the likes of INGDirect, use it for selling stuff- and transfer any revenues out of that account quickly.

It's not foolproof but it does add an extra layer of protection. If your buyer account is hacked, your credit card issuer should be able to cut it off. If your seller account is hacked, there's nothing there to steal.

And yes, I agree that CF *should* have more options. But there are no viable PayPal alternatives in widespread use right now, unless the admins want to set up their own merchant account, CC processing account, etc. which is a lot of hassle for a small online organization.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:35   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
And yes, I agree that CF *should* have more options. But there are no viable PayPal alternatives in widespread use right now, unless the admins want to set up their own merchant account, CC processing account, etc. which is a lot of hassle for a small online organization.
I'm not objecting so much to the use of PayPal. It is the most ubiquitous payment method online, and when it works, it works well. I use it for other business activities, so I'm not anti-PayPal in principle. I am very cautious about giving out personal info, and I would certainly not link my main bank accounts to anything like this. When I pay, I do so through one-off credit card payments. And I then remove my card from the PayPal.

My real beef is CF's demand for a reoccurring annual payment. This seems unreasonable to me. I want to consciously decide to support this wonderful forum each year, not have it done for me. Is there no way to appeal for a change to a non auto-renewing subscription?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:02   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
... My real beef is CF's demand for a reoccurring annual payment. This seems unreasonable to me. I want to consciously decide to support this wonderful forum each year, not have it done for me. Is there no way to appeal for a change to a non auto-renewing subscription?
I'm certain that Andy is following this thread, and has/is taken all of our comments & suggestions under advisement.
Marshmat and others have noted the difficulties (of scale) that small organizations, such as "ours" face.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm certain that Andy is following this thread, and has/is taken all of our comments & suggestions under advisement.
Marshmat and others have noted the difficulties (of scale) that small organizations, such as "ours" face.
Thanks Gord. I understand the challenges of running a small organization. And I certainly appreciate that it makes life a lot easier for CF to have an automatic reoccurring payment. It just doesn't work for me.

I want to support CF. I would happily hand over the $15.01 (.01?) this year, and probably in the years to come. I do hope a new option appears.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31   #43
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

We will look into other payment options besides PayPal. I don't have an ETA but I will research and analyze the options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netplus1 View Post
Can't you immediately cancel after signing up and the sub would run till it expires?
Yes, you can. Here are the instructions:
How to Cancel a PayPal Subscription: 9 steps - wikiHow

Your account will remain upgraded until the annual renewal date passes.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
We will look into other payment options besides PayPal. I don't have an ETA but I will research and analyze the options.
Many thanks Andy. Much appreciate it. I would hope you might even improve the income line by making automatic renewals optional rather than mandatory.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48   #45
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
More reasons to distrust PayPal...they act unilaterally and disproportionate to the issue at hand

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/12...o-paypal/all/1

Not to rub salt in the wound that is the rubbish, politically suspect, overarching wannabe warlord, suspect undead Demi god...oh wait I have lost hold of myself....

Here are a quick google search of alternative to PayPal...not that andy isn't copped on enough to research himself....wait isn't andy the name of the kid on toy story? Jayzus! I am going to have to look on the bottom of my boot to see if his name is there.

Links follow

https://www.alertpay.com/en/Default.aspx
https://venmo.com/
https://www.2checkout.com/
https://www.moneybookers.com/
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...c=1&authuser=0
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/money
http://bitcoin.org/
http://www.kagi.com/index.php
https://www.popmoney.com/popnet/face...n/homepage.jsp
https://www.obopay.com/index.php
http://www2.paymate.com/pm/default.asp?c=IE&r=07

Not even comprehensive, and some not appropriate to your needs, but clearly you are not tied to PayPal, so please respond to the expressed needs of your client base.

Oh yea, and I love this forum.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote