Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 11:43   #1

yanmar sd 20 electrlysis

last year unable to replace the anode on saildive SD20. for reasons beyond my control, finally got a diver to do it and he found some electrolytic damage. A friend suggested I might be able to repair it using two part epoxy products.i should be getting a haulout soon, and wonder if anybody has any experience with this. Thanks.
pagmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: yanmar sd 20 electrlysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagmd View Post
last year unable to replace the anode on saildive SD20. for reasons beyond my control, finally got a diver to do it and he found some electrolytic damage. A friend suggested I might be able to repair it using two part epoxy products.i should be getting a haulout soon, and wonder if anybody has any experience with this. Thanks.
"some electrolytic damage" I have no idea what that means.
That could be anywhere from re-prime and re-paint to just chuck the whole thing and get a new drive.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:23   #3

I'm not sure what it means either till I get it hauled out, but the diver said some "chunks" of metal were soft under where the anode sits. I'm hoping to repair those with epoxy but of course replacement of the unit is a last resort.
pagmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 14:31   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Probably surface degradation. If it's not too bad take a wire wheel in a driil motor and clean it to bright casting. wash with alcohol and use the two part epoxy called JB weld liquid steel. You may have to do a little bit at a time so it won't sag. Just wire brush between build ups. sand smooth, cover with epoxy primer and then paint.
I was a skeptic over the years of this product but I tried it on a Westerbeke thermostat housing as a temporary fix with a corrosion hole until I found a decent priced replacement. I found one but procrastinated on replacing it and when I sold the boat 6 years later, it was still doing it's job.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 17:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Probably surface degradation. If it's not too bad take a wire wheel in a driil motor and clean it to bright casting. wash with alcohol and use the two part epoxy called JB weld liquid steel. You may have to do a little bit at a time so it won't sag. Just wire brush between build ups. sand smooth, cover with epoxy primer and then paint.
I was a skeptic over the years of this product but I tried it on a Westerbeke thermostat housing as a temporary fix with a corrosion hole until I found a decent priced replacement. I found one but procrastinated on replacing it and when I sold the boat 6 years later, it was still doing it's job.
I have no idea if "steel" is a component of this product but be aware that if it is, applying it to an aluminum sail drive will be the kiss of death due to galvanic corrosion.
Old 13-06-2021, 19:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have no idea if "steel" is a component of this product but be aware that if it is, applying it to an aluminum sail drive will be the kiss of death due to galvanic corrosion.
Relax, it's not. Besides how many "kiss of death" stainless fasteners are on it?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-06-2021, 20:40   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagmd View Post
...the diver said some "chunks" of metal were soft under where the anode sits.
Hold my beer...

https://youtu.be/88ax4YKe9H0
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 22:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

EeeeeYikes!!! Aqualube sail drive!

Tags
yanmar