Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 20:57   #16

Boat: no boat, I'm a "landlocked" navigator
Re: What's Going on ?

sarafinaRe: What's Going on ?
Hi Alan,

Thread is in Quarantine right now, that's why you can't access it. If it is returned to the boards you will be able too.

What possible reason might there be for such action, "Quarantine" concerning a discussion of multiple sun shots is something that escapes me. Perhaps my lack of understanding evolves out of to much time spent in and around operation chemical process plants and reseructed oil refineries. In any event, as above mentioned, the logic or reason escapes me.
alan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 21:07   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Me too ???
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 21:24   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan2 View Post
What possible reason might there be for such action, "Quarantine" concerning a discussion of multiple sun shots is something that escapes me. Perhaps my lack of understanding evolves out of to much time spent in and around operation chemical process plants and reseructed oil refineries. In any event, as above mentioned, the logic or reason escapes me.
While all moderation is handled privately and never discussed publicly, suffice to say that two members had a difference of opinion that escalated to a regrettable point where it was necessary to remove the whole thread from public view until order could be restored.

The only thing illogical about the whole mess is why one of the parties would turn his wrath on the moderator who was only trying to calm things down. Again, once the objectionable content is removed from the thread, it will be restored to the forum it had been in and you will be able to resume reading and posting as before.

TaoJones
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
... two members had a difference of opinion that escalated to a regrettable point where it was necessary to remove the whole thread from public view until order could be restored ...
I do not speak for the Forum, and only offer my own personal understanding of the "rules of engagement" of Polite Debate by way of elaboration on TaoJones & Sarafina's comments.

Among the greatest problems faced in a public forum; is how participants may disagree, without descending into either personal attacks, or invective.

It is possible to disagree, even to disagree significantly, in a civil manner. Disagreement is seldom comfortable, but if we refrain from permitting it to become a war (or a flamewar) we might learn something, and keep our blood pressure down at the same time. Disagreement can be fruitful. But it will be fruitful only so long as certain guidelines, or rules of engagement, are followed.

THE paramount rule of Polite & Civil Debate: Grant your opponent respect.

This means you must allow that he or she can examine the facts, and come to a different conclusion from you. This is harder than it sounds, particularly for those who view disagreement as a personal affront, or a sign of stupidity. Persons who hold such views cannot engage in fruitful debate.

To criticize or belittle the one who holds a certain position, rather than the position itself, is an unacceptable personal attack.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:10   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Guys.. I need help here, my English get to its limits: what is a sun shot?
Tks
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Guys.. I need help here, my English get to its limits: what is a sun shot?
Tks
A celestial navigation technique.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Thanks...

I'm disapointed here.. I thought it was something naughty...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:28   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Very well spoken Gord.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Thanks...

I'm disapointed here.. I thought it was something naughty...
Evil on him or her, who evil thinks. BTW, this might well be just one of life's seemingly ongoing disappointments, and a minor one at that.

Alan
Old 10-11-2011, 10:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I do not speak for the Forum, and only offer my own personal understanding of the "rules of engagement" of Polite Debate by way of elaboration on TaoJones & Sarafina's comments.

Among the greatest problems faced in a public forum; is how participants may disagree, without descending into either personal attacks, or invective.

It is possible to disagree, even to disagree significantly, in a civil manner. Disagreement is seldom comfortable, but if we refrain from permitting it to become a war (or a flamewar) we might learn something, and keep our blood pressure down at the same time. Disagreement can be fruitful. But it will be fruitful only so long as certain guidelines, or rules of engagement, are followed.

THE paramount rule of Polite & Civil Debate: Grant your opponent respect.

This means you must allow that he or she can examine the facts, and come to a different conclusion from you. This is harder than it sounds, particularly for those who view disagreement as a personal affront, or a sign of stupidity. Persons who hold such views cannot engage in fruitful debate.

To criticize or belittle the one who holds a certain position, rather than the position itself, is an unacceptable personal attack.
Forwhatever it might be worth, I agree with the above. That being said, and respecting the "inappropriate commentary" elsewhere referenced, perhaps the result of inattention on my part, I hadn't noticed any such thing. Glad to see that the thing seems to have been solved.
Old 10-11-2011, 14:49   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A celestial navigation technique.

....and all this time I thought it was a new drink!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 15:29   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan2 View Post
... respecting the "inappropriate commentary" elsewhere referenced, perhaps the result of inattention on my part, I hadn't noticed any such thing. Glad to see that the thing seems to have been solved.
You probably didn't notice, because the Mods removed it (for review & editing), in a timely manner.
That''s what they try to do.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 15:35   #28

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Evil on him or her, who evil thinks.
Honi soit qui mal y pense?
Old 10-11-2011, 23:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Honi soit qui mal y pense?
d'accord, as my increasingly vague memories of French go.