Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 11:59   #16

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: WARNING- SCAMMER ON FORUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
You can find out a whole lot about someone if they have a facebook page. Many people do. Scammers don't.

Like all generalizations, not entirely true. I’ve never had a personal Facebook page and never plan to have one. I know you said ‘many people do’ but that test would relegate the status of those of us who abhor big business social media companies and the personal data they collect and sell to the label of ‘Scammers’

Might want to propose a better scammer determinative indicator.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:36   #17

I feel fortunate that I’ve never been “had” by a scammer. I deal with only the most honest Nigerian princes when collecting my $50million inheritances.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:43   #18

Maybe a forum escrow service? The site holds funds until buyer receives item?
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:49   #19

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I use Amex and have had to complain about dodgy charges 3 times, each time they immediately refunded the money subject to investigation. I would highly recommend them based on my experiences.
Old 09-09-2020, 13:04   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
. Obviously nothing was investigated and no action was taken even though I noted in my note to the webmaster that the individual had no posts and had had his profile checked numerous times.

Only banning this scammer is pointless as he can easily appear again under another name and different ip.
Action was taken, he and another 5 scammers were banned. As to investigation, please remember the unpaid moderators are ordinary members who volunteer to spend some of their time each week to keep the forum running smoothly.

However, you are correct, there will be more in the future, who we will deal with swiftly. There is a report button on a private message (little red and white triangle. Hit this and let us know your concerns.

Peter

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 13:08   #21

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

I got scammed for a tool recently. PayPal, refunded my money in 10 days. They ask you to try contacting the vendor 1st and provide them with appropriate documentation but they have been very helpful in my case which is why I prefer to pay for internet purchases with PayPal.
Old 09-09-2020, 14:05   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
I disagree about not having a trading section on CF. We are all adults of some sophistication as to the ways of the world. A few bad apples do show up anywhere in society.
The mods have to be on top of listening to credible complaints and ban the nomme de ruse when appropriate.

A possible filter might be to require any trader to have a minimum amount of posts on general topics before allowing a trading posting. This might go a little way on establishing at least minimal bonafides.

That wouldn't help iin this case. It was a response to someone posting a want ad.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 15:35   #23

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

PayPal works but can be a double edged sword. Having an eBay store i deal directly with them on a regular basis, and for the most part they are extremely helpful, but scammers can still drive you crazy. I made a purchase from a *Canadian* company, paid higher Canadian rates, import duties, etc and later learned it was a drop shipment from California/China...which tracking showed it moved about 100 miles IN California some 20 days prior to my contacting PayPal for the third time. I provided tracking evidence, proving shipment hadn't moved in three weeks and same evidence proved it wasn't a Canadian shipment. It was registered as under a pound while my order was at least 10 pounds. PayPal contacted the scammer and the scammer provided the exact same evidence which, according to PayPal, was proof the shipment was in transit (tracking showed it in a warehouse while in truth waiting for a slow boat from China or never existed)
PayPal resolution was to allow 45 days shipping time before processing my refund.
It works, but they allow every option for the scammer to actually prove legit. Any tracking update automatically adds 10 days to your case. Many shippers use their own or 3rd party shipping before USPS gets the box. Smart scammers delay by updating their shipment from one warehouse to another while all they are doing is moving it on a computer.
In my case, I did not receive a refund until the package was actually delivered, to someone else, close but not in my immediate area. The USPS provided written proof the shipment associated with the tracking number was in fact addressed to another party, another address, but in the same zip code. It was not a package at all, but actually an envelope. Probably empty. Some scammers are going to extremes.
PayPal issued a refund about 30 seconds after receiving the emailed proof provided by USPS, hit my account while I was still on the phone but what a nightmare.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 15:55   #24

Boat: Cuthbertson marconi sloop 11.5 meters

Having read this thread, I am now convinced I have been caught on same type of scam. Purchased a c-map NT card still waiting after 6 weeks. Will contact paypal. Thanks for putting it out there
MickWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 17:14   #25

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Action was taken, he and another 5 scammers were banned. As to investigation, please remember the unpaid moderators are ordinary members who volunteer to spend some of their time each week to keep the forum running smoothly.

Peter

I don't know when the poster was scammed so I can't really argue about whether timely action was taken or not by the folks running this website. All I can tell you is that I contacted the Webmaster on August 17 with the scammer warning.

As for solutions, Shouldn't be that technologically challenging to have an algorithm that spots users who have no web activity other than replies to "wanted" adds. Surely, these would be your prime suspects.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:54   #26

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Shipmate,

Sadly, when these things happen, and they happen more often than we can imagine, all we get when we attempt to contact someone is a Robot. Speaking with a LIVE HUMAN is almost an impossibility these times. During my twenty-six-years Naval Career I managed Multi Million Dollar Navy Commissary Stores and Navy Exchanges, but still yet I have also have been Scammed Several Times here on the internet. The worse case for me is when earlier this year some unknown deposited a Check for $9,402.00 into my Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) Checking Account. As it turned out the check was a Social Security Settelment meant for some elderly woman which apparently the person who deposited into my account had stolen it. NFCU immediately declared me GUILTY and then Blocked all of my accounts, Canceled my DEBIT CARD, and all that without considering that I had been an NFCU Member since 1967 with a perfect record. That was five months ago and I am still blocked. As I told NFCU, If I were Admiral Freeman, instead of Senior Chief Freeman, this would never have happened. So all I can say to you Good Shipmate is Grin And Bear The PAIN.

NAVY SENIOR CHIEF RETIRED
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:59   #27

Boat: Pugh windstar 54 Van De Stadt 57 aluminiun ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
You can find out a whole lot about someone if they have a facebook page. Many people do. Scammers don't.
Makes me a scammer then. I expect I'll shortly be banned.
south4320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:24   #28

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Me to, but I was banned from FB because they asked for a picture of me after 15 years and 0 posts and I never supplied it
So I was banned for not posting :-)
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:21   #29

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

They at FACEBOOK ask for my Picture also, so I sent one of Jack The Ripper and so heard no more from FACEBOOK.

If ya can't beat them, join them. Remember also that Ya win some, ye loose some, and some are rained out.

SENIOR CHIEF
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:53   #30

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Come on, a little due diligence can avoid these scams.

On another forum, a new member joined yesterday and has responded to 15 WTB for items ranging from $500 to $30,000. That’s a red flag.

If they can’t describe the item: red flag. And if they won’t provide photo with today’s date, ask for payment via ScrewPal F&F, have a ten year old account with two posts, can’t provide a phone number or refuse to talk on the phone, etc.

Be careful, and be diligent
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forums, rum