Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 09:43   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Unable to Post from a Mac

I am unable to post or respond to other posts on my Macbook. I have no problems from my work PC, but when I try to respond to a post on the Mac, it says "too many redirects" and "try clearing cookies". I've cleared cookies, and I've researched this issue online, but I am unable to resolve.

Anyone have an idea of how to proceed? It's not an issue just now, but it will be when I retire and no longer have a PC.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 10:50   #2

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Unable to Post from a Mac

Are you using the Default Apple browser, Safari? If so, I can't help you. Safari seems to basic and limiting to us so we installed Chrome. Seems much easier to use and more robust. Less glitchy. Also easier to flush when something like this happens.

That probably doesn't help your current situation, though.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 10:57   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

No suggestions, but I am using a MacBook Pro with Safari. No issues. I’ve never seen that one.

If clearing the cookies doesn’t resolve the issue then trying another browser like Firefox or Chrome is a good idea. But it’s odd that the cookie clear didn’t work. It could be a server-side problem, but why am I not seeing it? Is anyone else?
Old 18-12-2018, 10:59   #4

Boat: Passport 40

I also use Safari on a Macbook with no issues. Firefox would be a good second choice; when Safari doesn't work for something Firefox usually suffices for me
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:05   #5

It’s probably not a cookie issue. My guess is there is a cached file that is gumming up the works (technical term). Clearing the cookies won’t get rid of that. I don’t have Safari in front of me but there has to be a way in Settings to clear out cached files and other internet settings. Close all browser windows but one, clear the cached files, go to the forum page again and reload it. Might/should/maybe do the trick.
Old 18-12-2018, 13:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Are you using the Default Apple browser, Safari? If so, I can't help you. Safari seems to basic and limiting to us so we installed Chrome. Seems much easier to use and more robust. Less glitchy. Also easier to flush when something like this happens.

That probably doesn't help your current situation, though.
Nope, using Chrome on the Mac. I never use Safari.
Old 18-12-2018, 13:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No suggestions, but I am using a MacBook Pro with Safari. No issues. I’ve never seen that one.

If clearing the cookies doesn’t resolve the issue then trying another browser like Firefox or Chrome is a good idea. But it’s odd that the cookie clear didn’t work. It could be a server-side problem, but why am I not seeing it? Is anyone else?
Ah, good point. I have found that Firefox sometimes works when other browsers will not. I'll try that. But since I use Chrome for everything else on the Mac, that is inconvenient.
Old 18-12-2018, 13:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator View Post
I also use Safari on a Macbook with no issues. Firefox would be a good second choice; when Safari doesn't work for something Firefox usually suffices for me
Well, that was easy. All I had to do was use Safari instead of Chrome, and all is well. I guess I should have figured that out on my own, but thanks!
Old 18-12-2018, 14:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Nope, using Chrome on the Mac. I never use Safari.
Okay. To flush Chrome and resume using it, you might try this:
  • On the right side of the address bar, on the far right is a series of three vertical dots. Click that.
  • Hover over More Tools and then click Clear Browsing Data
  • Make sure there is a checkmark in Cached Images and Files (the other checkboxes can be cleared)
  • Click the Clear data button

Reload the forum page and try it again. That usually fixes mine when stuff gets gummed up.
Old 18-12-2018, 15:06   #10
cruiser

Quote:
I am unable to post or respond to other posts on my Macbook. I have no problems from my work PC, but when I try to respond to a post on the Mac, it says "too many redirects" and "try clearing cookies". I've cleared cookies, and I've researched this issue online, but I am unable to resolve.

Anyone have an idea of how to proceed? It's not an issue just now, but it will be when I retire and no longer have a PC.
I just posted this using a macbook pro on safari without a problem. Try using the Firefox browser to see if that eliminates the issue.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 16:04   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Well, that was easy. All I had to do was use Safari instead of Chrome, and all is well. I guess I should have figured that out on my own, but thanks!
Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, I have the opposite problem (but not on CF). Some sites refuse to load for me when using Safari (get the same message as you reported when you used Chrome); I switch to Chrome and it is all OK.

To repeat, I always use Safari for CF.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 17:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Clear your cache and cookies and the problem should resolve.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 12:29   #13

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Another Safari user who has no problems with the site. In fact I've never had a problem with any website with Safari.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 14:14   #14

AJ n Audrey, Open safari, click on safari then preferences then privacy then manage website data...wait untill it opens, when it does remove everything except data. By choosing Remove all this should fix it.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 15:28   #15

Boat: Catalina 350

I had a similar issue when using chrome (ie, too many redirects), but only when using it on my chromebook. Clearing cookies, etc did not help. Found out quite by accident, if I selected the "remember me" box on the login page, the log in worked and I can post. Odd issue, but this fixed it for me.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote