Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 06:35   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
So Why Would a Thread Be Deleted ?

I know threads on anchoring, global warming and firearms can be hot-button topics. Buy WHY would a poll and thread about having weapons on board just be deleted? There was adult discussion, without vulgarity or name-calling. The subject of weapons on board is a valid part of the cruising life. I've seen the anchoring/ global warming threads closed, but never deleted!

I moderate on another board where there are topics that may not appeal to EVERYONE, yet contain discussion that a fairly large portion of the forum finds relevant. I would like to suggest that CF create a passworded forum that allows members who DO feel that they would like to have weapons aboard share information. The anti-weapon membership can simply not request the password from a mod, ignore the weapons aboard forum and thus not have their ire aroused.
Old 23-12-2010, 06:41   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Probably gone off to Modland - where all the naughty threads go to get spanked..........sometimes they come back cleaned up. sometimes locked.

But still got one Gun thread on the go - so plenty of opportunity to fire a broadside, in either direction.
Old 23-12-2010, 07:03   #3

Boat: Ohlson 38
I'm curious to know the answer myself.
Old 23-12-2010, 08:24   #4

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Generally speaking, when one is confused and perplexed, all you have to do is follow the money and all will be made clear. Rabid gun threads don't sell ads and do not add value to the site.
Old 23-12-2010, 08:33   #5

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Before paranoia runs totally rampant, the thread is still here. Search under "Ultimate Gun thread".
Old 23-12-2010, 08:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
dont no about closing the thread but was searching for a nice photo to post last night of the fire~ arm markets around the aden golf countries,typed in on google "a reference to a certain country and certain item".
found some really good harmless photos but when i copied and pasted them,
had the whole computer crash!,also server broke all links four about 3 hours.

am i paranoid? or is this big brother?
Old 23-12-2010, 09:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Before paranoia runs totally rampant, the thread is still here. Search under "Ultimate Gun thread".
it was a different spinoff thread from that one
Old 23-12-2010, 09:54   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
many times there is a condensation of all the bs into one rousing bs thread--isnt that what happened here???
Old 23-12-2010, 09:57   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just so every member is aware, other than spam, Nothing is ever deleted! Not in the sense that it is irretrievable by the site staff. The question you should be asking is, "Why are some threads removed from public view?"

Actually, if every member would bother to read the Community Rules, they would already have a solid understanding of why we remove certain threads, or individual posts in threads, from public view. We're reviewing problematic posts / threads to determine if they should be restored or kept out of public view permanently, and our guidelines for making such determinations are all found in the Rules and the Terms of Service.

Every single person who has ever joined Cruisers Forum has checked the box that indicates they have read the Rules and agree to abide by them. It's funny how many people then turn around and ask, essentially, "Why can't I violate the Rules I agreed to abide by when I joined?"

Managing Cruisers Forum (which means Enforcing the Rules) is a fascinating study in the psychology of dealing with personality types and intellects that span the entire spectrum of possibilities. Unfortunately, sometimes it's worse than herding cats . . . it's herding the very few cats that are mentally challenged, given to violence, very slow learners, poor communicators, childish, willfully obstinate and / or clueless that wastes an incredible amount of the site staff's time and sucks the joy out of trying to keep Cruisers Forum the best sailing site on the internet.

TaoJones
Old 23-12-2010, 10:40   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Managing Cruisers Forum (which means Enforcing the Rules) is a fascinating study in the psychology of dealing with personality types and intellects that span the entire spectrum of possibilities. Unfortunately, sometimes it's worse than herding cats . . . it's herding the very few cats that are mentally challenged, given to violence, very slow learners, poor communicators, childish, willfully obstinate and / or clueless that wastes an incredible amount of the site staff's time and sucks the joy out of trying to keep Cruisers Forum the best sailing site on the internet.
.........and that's just the Moderators Forum
Old 23-12-2010, 10:42   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.........and that's just the Moderators Forum

Just so you know.. yer officially on the list.
Old 23-12-2010, 10:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate A Message in there somewhere......??

Hoi n de Polloi

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 23-12-2010, 11:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Just so every member is aware, other than spam, Nothing is ever deleted! Not in the sense that it is irretrievable by the site staff. The question you should be asking is, "Why are some threads removed from public view?"

Actually, if every member would bother to read the Community Rules, they would already have a solid understanding of why we remove certain threads, or individual posts in threads, from public view. We're reviewing problematic posts / threads to determine if they should be restored or kept out of public view permanently, and our guidelines for making such determinations are all found in the Rules and the Terms of Service.

Every single person who has ever joined Cruisers Forum has checked the box that indicates they have read the Rules and agree to abide by them. It's funny how many people then turn around and ask, essentially, "Why can't I violate the Rules I agreed to abide by when I joined?"

TaoJones

IMHO the rules are vague and left to the interpretation of the moderators, who, IMHO interpret them subjectively based on their personal views as to the content of the subject post or who is doing the subject post. If your post is 'flagged' by a moderator and you ask for clarification from the moderator they simply refer to the rules(which, again, are vague/subjective and left to the interpretation of the moderators). I fully understand this site is NOT a democracy and IS a dictatorship, with no one having a RIGHT to post here, however, if a member asks for clarification as to why they have violated the 'rules' then the moderators should give a detailed explanation so the poster knows how the moderators interpret the rules. Our Supreme Court(here in the US) does not simply hand down a ruling without explanation. They hand down a ruling with explanation so everyone knows the interpretation of the constitution. The original poster in this thread asked for an explanation and got the above(again, simply referring him to the rules). How does this help anyone? I enjoy reading this forum and find it very informative, however, the moderators seem to be above any explanation as to their actions.
Old 23-12-2010, 11:09   #14

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
RUN. DAVID.RUN, you're on the list....
Old 23-12-2010, 11:32   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ude123 View Post
IMHO the rules are vague and left to the interpretation of the moderators, who, IMHO interpret them subjectively based on their personal views as to the content of the subject post or who is doing the subject post. If your post is 'flagged' by a moderator and you ask for clarification from the moderator they simply refer to the rules(which, again, are vague/subjective and left to the interpretation of the moderators). I fully understand this site is NOT a democracy and IS a dictatorship, with no one having a RIGHT to post here, however, if a member asks for clarification as to why they have violated the 'rules' then the moderators should give a detailed explanation so the poster knows how the moderators interpret the rules. Our Supreme Court(here in the US) does not simply hand down a ruling without explanation. They hand down a ruling with explanation so everyone knows the interpretation of the constitution. The original poster in this thread asked for an explanation and got the above(again, simply referring him to the rules). How does this help anyone? I enjoy reading this forum and find it very informative, however, the moderators seem to be above any explanation as to their actions.
The fact is, we do provide at least brief explanations when a rule is violated. We are also volunteers who do not necessarily have the time to spend hours writing a summary of a decision as if we were paid Supreme Court justices.

As is life, many things are not black and white, therefore it is impossible to make rules which cover every possible situation. Many situations do indeed fall into that gray area where even the mods do not have a consensus as to which is the best path to take. We do discuss situations and then do what we think is the right thing. What more can we do?

If you want perfection from the mods then you had better be willing to pay for it, because you are not going to get perfection each and every instance from people who do this for free in their spare time.

Nobody is telling you that you are obligated to visit this website. You do have a choice if you do not like the way things are.

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread