Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 16:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Slow Page Loading

Problem still exists but not on other sites. At least I just notice it on CF. Has anyone on the technical team looked into this?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 16:27   #17

As said by DeepFrz problem still exists on Firefox 28 but I use Chrome and its ok. Possibly better on FF29 but I'm reluctant to update just yet.
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 16:43   #18

I did upgrade to FF 29 and it seems to have normal loading speed currently.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 18:09   #19

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

They have a redirect loop in their own javascript. If you are running a Mac or Linux, do this to see it: curl -v -L http://cdn.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nner/detect.js

So what some of you may be experiencing is the rendering of the page hanging until the browser unrolls the broken fetch enough to know it's broken. For my high latency Internet connection here in St Maarten, it's taking Chrome about 16 seconds to do that. Maybe other browsers handle this better by 'cacheing' knowledge of bad requests like this, and immediately failing them. I don't know -- Chrome certainly doesn't, and must figure it out (for ~16 seconds) on every page load.

Folks with lower latency Internet connectivity -- cable modems in America or whatever -- probably have this play through much more quickly and won't even notice. Especially in the context of this site, with the undersized back end that adds a large delay anyways. So whoever upgraded their forum software (I'm guessing that's how this error was made), didn't notice since the site is already slow and they have a fast Internet connection.

If this really bugs you, look at an extension for your browser that allows you to block a specific URL. And just block the one I mention above. Or, do as I do and just wander away for a while towards Kindle books or other sailing sites until they find a nerd to fix this for them.
Old 28-05-2014, 18:18   #20

An older "ads" topic first brought this up. My CPU use hikes to 199% when this site loads. It's a pain, but worth the content. Wondering when someone else would bring this up again. Too much clutter.

Running W7 on a celeron laptop, FF 29.

OK, OK, stop with the celeron jokes already.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 18:28   #21

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

I shouldn't say this, since it's a really blunt way to do this, but if you are on a Mac and just want to smack this with a hammer, do this in Terminal:

sudo echo "127.0.0.1 cdn.cruisersforum.com" >> /etc/hosts

To undo this hack when they fix it (or if it breaks the site for you some way I don't see):

sudo sed -i .bak '/cruisersforum/d' /etc/hosts

This is blunt because it also breaks any other fetches they have to that cdn.cruisersforum.com domain. Nothing of which looks important to me, but you never know. Anyways, this makes your browser fail the javascript fetch immediately, instead of taking ~16s (or whatever) to unroll the redirect loop enough to give up.
Old 29-05-2014, 03:50   #22

I think I understand some of the reasons expounded above but for now I'll stick with FF28 and use Chrome for this site.
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 04:02   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyappuk View Post
I think I understand some of the reasons expounded above but for now I'll stick with FF28 and use Chrome for this site.
Tony
That's what I have ended up doing.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:29   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
They have a redirect loop in their own javascript. If you are running a Mac or Linux, do this to see it: curl -v -L http://cdn.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nner/detect.js
Oh, thank you msponer!!
I did update to FF 29 and it seemed to make it worse. I followed some tips from FF support which helped some but then I realized it just seemed to be CF that was sooo slow. I slipped the above url in to AB+ and voila...not so slow any more.
Old 29-05-2014, 07:24   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I reported msponer's post above so that the technical team(?) will see it. Hopefully they will do something about the problem.

I just tried CF on Chrome and it is slower than what FF 29 was before I put the URL into AB+. It was slower on some loads than others and seemed to get stuck on some page loads for some reason. IE was very slow.
Old 29-05-2014, 16:15   #26

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Did an update of Firefox a couple of hours ago. From FF27 to FF29, with a system reboot after the update FF app restart (machine had been up for days, needed a refresh).
CF is now kaput with FF29.
Still working fine (but as usual, slow) with IE8 and Comodo IceDragon (a chrome based browser), assuming it still also works with Comodo Dragon (not updated yet, FF based) and two versions of Opera that I use.
Running WINXPP on a dual processor server mobo, max RAM, chingo terabytes of disk, average speed 3g cell wireless connection, four or five flavors of anti-malware/virus programs active, plus other apps.
Again only significant change was upgrading FF to version 29.

With FF29, in loading a CF page, it doesn't seem any slower than normal (before) to begin, I see IP port traffic opening to CF domains, but the page only partially loads, then stalls.
I get a normal looking page outline with the top elements rendered ( CF banner, tab dropdown menus, forum and page tree, login area, and the green bar w/"upgrade", "user cp", then everything below is just a light gray box. No page topic info, ads, etc., at all.

Haven't gone into the FF29 option settings yet (what I had set in FF27), they sometimes make unbidden changes to your customized settings; they may have added some kind of blocker too.

Anybody else seeing this?
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 16:17   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tx J, did you read the previous posts?
Old 29-05-2014, 16:58   #28

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Tx J, did you read the previous posts?
Yep, DFrz, noted something about some js dead loop stalling things for a while, IIRC, for others it was just a long delay in page loading, my FF CF pages never complete at all, even after sitting there spinning for a half hour (FF indicator still showing page not loaded yet).
I think I started from the original first comment and went right through everything .

I was going to hold off on that leg until I check the FF options menu and see if anything looks fishy in there first. I hate to get into workarounds and cobbled up patches for things that shouldn't happen in the first place (and might make my particular config worse) .

I got lazy (or stubborn) and temporarily gave up on using FF with CF, just switched to IE8 and CIceDragon, which work fine .

FF29 is also working fine with a few other sites that I have up and checked (NOAA, C34 pages, etc., [having 18 FF windows and hundreds of tabs open at any given time-- can't do that with a Celeron I bet, hehe-- ;] ; many dozens of other tabs open in various other browser windows]). With a very few page trys, CF is the only site that is 'broken'.

Ruh-oh, time to watch Doc Martin...
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 17:18   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Strange. My FF29 update went fine except for very slow page loading on CF. I checked the FF support pages and followed some leads there with some little bit of improvement but blocking the URL fixed it right up.

CF doesn't work properly on IE. After I have read a post or two it stops scrolling with the mouse scroll wheel. I thought it must be IE but it only seems to happen on CF. I have IE 11 installed and Win 7. This only happens after I open a forum thread, not in the home page.
Old 29-05-2014, 17:56   #30

Boat: Catalac 10M

Thanks msponer! adding "127.0.0.1 cdn.cruisersforum.com" to my HOSTS file worked like a charm for me!

ps on Windows machines you will find it at: C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
thims is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa