Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 10:06   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Speaking as one of the more 'In your Face' posters.. and amongst the most often active (21,312) on here when not at sea.. I'm not sure real names would make that much of a difference..
This may be true in your case Boatie (probably is true ), but it is a well-researched area of psychology. Anti-social behaviour expands in areas where identities are hidden and where there are few social costs to bad behaviour. The research into online communities is quite clear, and is why many “social media” sites and public commenting areas have gone to a real-name policy.

This doesn’t erase the problem, or suddenly turn all crotchety old seamen into angel-tongued saints . But it has been shown to reduce the level of vitriol.

Of course, the downside is that it can dissuade some people from participating, which is a problem for places like CF that rely on a constant flow of new contributions from users.

As for the whole “like” thing, as I said, the only benefit I see to it is that it allows people to voice their agreement on a post without the need for redundant “Me Too” repetition. It’s a quick, easy way of supporting a point without having to re-state it. I think it’s a useful tool, but certainly not necessary, and doesn’t change the civility of the space.
Old 28-02-2018, 10:28   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This may be true in your case Boatie (probably is true ), but it is a well-researched area of psychology. Anti-social behaviour expands in areas where identities are hidden and where there are few social costs to bad behaviour. The research into online communities is quite clear, and is why many “social media” sites and public commenting areas have gone to a real-name policy.

This doesn’t erase the problem, or suddenly turn all crotchety old seamen into angel-tongued saints . But it has been shown to reduce the level of vitriol.

Of course, the downside is that it can dissuade some people from participating, which is a problem for places like CF that rely on a constant flow of new contributions from users.

As for the whole “like” thing, as I said, the only benefit I see to it is that it allows people to voice their agreement on a post without the need for redundant “Me Too” repetition. It’s a quick, easy way of supporting a point without having to re-state it. I think it’s a useful tool, but certainly not necessary, and doesn’t change the civility of the space.
Two things contributed to my rehabilitation.. strikes and bans in the early years.. and giving up red wine..
Oh.. and one more.. did not want to keep scaring potential customers.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:44   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Two things contributed to my rehabilitation.. strikes and bans in the early years.. and giving up red wine..
GIVING UP WINE!! OK, now you’ve gone too far … where is that button?
Old 28-02-2018, 11:46   #19
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
But. Bet you aren’t having as fun here as 5 years ago.
Old 28-02-2018, 11:49   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But. Bet you aren’t having as fun here as 5 years ago.
True.. a lot off the good ole boys have left.. or died.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 12:05   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We tried the like / dislike button on another fourm, Ribnet actually. This is what happened.

In the early days everyone was busy collecting and giving "likes" so it almost became a challenge to see who had the most likes which completely took over the forum.

Then "likes" became passe, so everyone then tried to become the bad boys of the forum collecting as many "dislikes" as possible.

The effect was to pass the long nights one winter but it became a complete distraction from the aim of the forum so the decision was taken to turn them off and get back to the forums topic.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 12:44   #22

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
I knew there was something I liked about you.

Lets not confuse strong opinion with bickering. Sometimes it's best to let them slug it out.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:03   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some posts concerning moderation have been deleted.

To refresh any memories out there that might need it, here's the rule: Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

Please remember you agreed to abide by the rules when you joined CF.

Ann
Old 02-03-2018, 19:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardean View Post
Hi Jim
Ive read heaps of Ann and your posts, i wish i was able to show some appreciation by pressing a like button. I hope i meet you on the water one day, we were to start living aboard and cruising 2 years ago but have had many setbacks, we are now ontrack for a may kickoff, cheers Dean
check out the little box in the lower right hand corner, ya the one that says "Thanks". There ya go.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men