Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 11:06   #16
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,426
Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Speaking as one of the more 'In your Face' posters.. and amongst the most often active (21,312) on here when not at sea.. I'm not sure real names would make that much of a difference..
This may be true in your case Boatie (probably is true ), but it is a well-researched area of psychology. Anti-social behaviour expands in areas where identities are hidden and where there are few social costs to bad behaviour. The research into online communities is quite clear, and is why many “social media” sites and public commenting areas have gone to a real-name policy.

This doesn’t erase the problem, or suddenly turn all crotchety old seamen into angel-tongued saints . But it has been shown to reduce the level of vitriol.

Of course, the downside is that it can dissuade some people from participating, which is a problem for places like CF that rely on a constant flow of new contributions from users.

As for the whole “like” thing, as I said, the only benefit I see to it is that it allows people to voice their agreement on a post without the need for redundant “Me Too” repetition. It’s a quick, easy way of supporting a point without having to re-state it. I think it’s a useful tool, but certainly not necessary, and doesn’t change the civility of the space.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 11:28   #17
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 29,579
Images: 2
pirate Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This may be true in your case Boatie (probably is true ), but it is a well-researched area of psychology. Anti-social behaviour expands in areas where identities are hidden and where there are few social costs to bad behaviour. The research into online communities is quite clear, and is why many “social media” sites and public commenting areas have gone to a real-name policy.

This doesn’t erase the problem, or suddenly turn all crotchety old seamen into angel-tongued saints . But it has been shown to reduce the level of vitriol.

Of course, the downside is that it can dissuade some people from participating, which is a problem for places like CF that rely on a constant flow of new contributions from users.

As for the whole “like” thing, as I said, the only benefit I see to it is that it allows people to voice their agreement on a post without the need for redundant “Me Too” repetition. It’s a quick, easy way of supporting a point without having to re-state it. I think it’s a useful tool, but certainly not necessary, and doesn’t change the civility of the space.
Two things contributed to my rehabilitation.. strikes and bans in the early years.. and giving up red wine..
Oh.. and one more.. did not want to keep scaring potential customers.
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 11:44   #18
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,426
Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Two things contributed to my rehabilitation.. strikes and bans in the early years.. and giving up red wine..
Oh.. and one more.. did not want to keep scaring potential customers.
GIVING UP WINE!! OK, now you’ve gone too far … where is that button?
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 12:46   #19
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 19,264
Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Two things contributed to my rehabilitation.. strikes and bans in the early years.. and giving up red wine..
Oh.. and one more.. did not want to keep scaring potential customers.
But. Bet you aren’t having as fun here as 5 years ago.
__________________
It is OK if others want to do it different on THEIR boat
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 12:49   #20
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 29,579
Images: 2
pirate Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But. Bet you aren’t having as fun here as 5 years ago.
True.. a lot off the good ole boys have left.. or died.
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 13:05   #21
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 17,093
Images: 19
Re: Site improvement

We tried the like / dislike button on another fourm, Ribnet actually. This is what happened.

In the early days everyone was busy collecting and giving "likes" so it almost became a challenge to see who had the most likes which completely took over the forum.

Then "likes" became passe, so everyone then tried to become the bad boys of the forum collecting as many "dislikes" as possible.

The effect was to pass the long nights one winter but it became a complete distraction from the aim of the forum so the decision was taken to turn them off and get back to the forums topic.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 13:44   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Posts: 3,436
Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Two things contributed to my rehabilitation.. strikes and bans in the early years.. and giving up red wine..
Oh.. and one more.. did not want to keep scaring potential customers.
I knew there was something I liked about you.

Lets not confuse strong opinion with bickering. Sometimes it's best to let them slug it out.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 18:03   #23
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 26,190
Re: Site improvement

Some posts concerning moderation have been deleted.

To refresh any memories out there that might need it, here's the rule: Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

Please remember you agreed to abide by the rules when you joined CF.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 20:31   #24
Registered User
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 697
Re: Site improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardean View Post
Hi Jim
Ive read heaps of Ann and your posts, i wish i was able to show some appreciation by pressing a like button. I hope i meet you on the water one day, we were to start living aboard and cruising 2 years ago but have had many setbacks, we are now ontrack for a may kickoff, cheers Dean
check out the little box in the lower right hand corner, ya the one that says "Thanks". There ya go.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lines Led Aft - Is It Really An Improvement? KISS Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 70 05-05-2016 09:30
Sailboat Re-Fit/Improvement Blog - Nonsuch 30 Island_Moose Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 01-08-2013 09:44
chart ares that need improvement.... JNoel General Sailing Forum 0 16-11-2012 06:03

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.