Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 10:24   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 feet
Removed post

I made my first post yesterday. The post has since disappeared.
If the post was not acceptable for this board, please make me aware of it so I do not so it in the future again, however I would like an explanation for the removal of my post.
Thank you
Rhonda
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 13:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Rhonda - The post was pulled as it was not germane to this forum. I had not notified you yet, as it hasn't been permenently deleted pending site staff reviewing it. I will PM you directly when it has finished being reviewed.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 14:00   #3

Boat: Lagoon 410, 41 feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
Rhonda - The post was pulled as it was not germane to this forum. I had not notified you yet, as it hasn't been permenently deleted pending site staff reviewing it. I will PM you directly when it has finished being reviewed.

The "Cruisers Forum" is first and foremost a virtual meeting place for like-minded individuals to share their experience, knowledge and expertise with other boaters. Boaters of all flavours are encouraged to join our community and participate. Participants are encouraged to ask a question and solicit advice. Our regular contributors have a tremendous amount of experience in all facets of boating and we’re sure you’ll find favourable and pertinent responses. Remember, the only "stupid" question is the one that "doesn’t" get asked.

I simply offered some advice to cruisers about the other dangers of cruising, the post was completely "germane" to the forum and the safety of other cruisers who live a similar life style to myself. Perhaps while reviewing my post you should review the bumfuzze posts, the cruising with weapons posts, and the pirate posts. This may help you put things into perspective. I placed this post to hopefully keep people safe.
Perhaps you should take a stance against my life style to another forum, as I am sure the people who post here will not permitt this here.
Rhonda

QUOTATING GORDMAY's post #55
I believe that administration stops, and censorship begins, when adults are denied access to non-proprietary ideas and information, which are of interest to them, and which are of no harm to others.
I suspect that any nascent call for censorship might disappear if we cease casting aspersions upon each other and absent others (Pat & Ali).
I’m certain we can entertain adult debate regarding the relative merits of pizza vs bulgur wheat, MOB pole colours, and other cruising related topics engendered by the Bum’s example. I’m also certain the negative characterisations do little to further any particular point of view.
Let's deport ourselves with some modicum of dignity & decorum.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 14:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Spike - this is not a debate.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 15:17   #5
cruiser

ATTN Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

As someone who was sickened by the post you put up (sickened in the right way - against the violence), I wanted to communicate the moderator team's actions.

First, nobody on the moderation team is a bigot, weirdo, or even mean. I've known them for years, since before this was a popular board. You shouldn't claim a lifestyle assault like that, even though you are probably angry your post was removed, as the people who run this place are quite kind and would not do that sort of thing.

The reason your post was removed was that is has nothing to do with sailing. Picture it this way:

If there was an attack in the Bronx on a guy from Chelsea (the most gay neighborhood in NYC), does that news story belong in a forum about sailing? Even if they guy from Chelsea was gay? No, it doesn't. The reasoning is that we have a board about sailing and experiences a boater might have. An attack on people that takes place on the mainland is not a sailing related topic. That is why the moderator decided to delete your post.

See? It's a friendly place, but your post wasn't a sailing or boat related post. I hope you see the reasoning here. None of us are adverse to the gay scene. In fact, I chartered my boat out as friendly to gay and lesbian travelers this summer in the Hamptons.

While the article turned my stomach, it just wasn't about sailing. The other posts you mention (bumfuzzle -yuck!, guns on board, etc...) are about sailing.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 15:54   #6

I'm not a moderator, but I will chime in and say that I did read the post in question when it was up and it didn't really seem to be about sailing, per se.

That said, I can see why it was posted. I can't remember where it was posted, but it seems to me that the appropriate place for it in these forums, (if the mods decide it is appropriate at all, and I suspect they may not) would be in the Destinations category.

BTW, that picture of the cracked skull was pretty gruesome
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 18:47   #7

I hate to get wrapped up in this discussion, but as a close friend of Rhonda and her partner I have to chime in, especially since I am the one who turned her onto this forum.
From what I saw and read of her post, she placed the post in the "off topic forum"
I just re-opened this forum to see that there are many, many, many... oh multiple post that have nothing to do with Sailing, cruising etc.
I do not want to accuse anyone of any type of bigotry, and please do not see this as any kind of accusation. I learned my lesson already on this board when I got involved in the bumfuzzle thread.

Rhonda is by far one of the most caring people I have met, from the conversation I had with her today and since I can not recall exactly what her post had read she, let me know that she was attempting to let cruisers who are gay/lesbian or parents of gay/lesbians a warning about the attitudes towards gays and lesbians in the Bahamas/Caribbean. I was not aware of the intolerance and now am aware.

This is a very touchy subject in my eyes as nothing I can recall reading in the post had anything to do with opinion, speculation but rather it was all fact.
Perhaps she should have posted the following link: http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1010635
This link outlines how the Cayman Islands refused a gay ships occupants from coming ashore..
I will be watching this closely as I am sure many others will.

THis is a great forum! For the short time I have been on board I have spent hours reading posts, I have met a few of the members and as of today I will be hosting a great couple in Florida for New Years (looking forward to it!) I have asked for experienced knowledge and received it, I have pretty much learned more and had more answers provided to me in one month from this forum than.. well there simply is no way to put it into words.
This site is amazing, when I was looking for water makers, I simply did a search and read posts, when I wanted to know about purchasing in another country I posted.. I can say that this board is like the encyclopedia of sailing, what I also know is that with this immense body of knowledge I am sure that there is no room for bigotry. The moderators have their hands full and are human just like the rest of us. I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for all of this.
I am looking forward to the final decision on her post. Here is where I get in trouble.. generalizing... Most cruisers/sailors I have met are open minded and tolerate of the beliefs and practices of other people. I am sure this is just a misunderstanding, but I also "feel" quit strong that there needs to be a full explanation put forward to the entire board outlining why it has been removed and why it will be or will not be re-posted.
Please do not insult us with "it had nothing to do with sailing" If so then the Off Topic Forum needs to be removed.
Just my $0.02
Sorry if I opened up a can of worms.
CCM
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 19:27   #8

Boat: now floating easy37
whilst having nothing against gay people( my own brother is gay) i can see the potential for this thread to go manky even in the off topic category
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 20:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Off topic material still needs to bear some relation to cruising, or the cruiser. As Sean stated above, his example would not be suitable for the off topic forum either. If spike's post was about someone that was attacked on a boat, it would be on topic and suitable for the Piracy thread. If the person was sailing and he had gone ashore for R&R and was attacked, it would be sutiable for the Piracey thread. But a person attacked somewhere could happen and does happen at anytime and not related to this site, even the off topic forum.

Spike, please accept my deepest sympathies for your friend. I don't care what religon, genda, sexual pref, wearer of funny hats, no one deserves that and teh culprits are nothing more than scum. Infact scum is probably too good to call them.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 23:58   #10

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
"This forum is for non-cruising discussions, stories, jokes & other general topics that are not directly related to cruising."

If your policy is going to be what you state, then it might be prudent to change the description of the off topic forum.

On the other hand, in most, if not all other forums I've been to, the off topic forum was a place for people to talk about stuff that wasn't related to the board's theme, things that are "off the topic".

On the other other hand, I realize this board's resources aren't infinite, and that you will, and probably have at somepoint had to delete things at some point to make room for new stuff.

Personally, I think that the post did have at least some indirect relation to cruising, the bahamas is a relatively popular cruising destination.

I do not wish to get into trouble here, I enjoy the conversations here and the information I've gained is priceless, I just simply state that I disagree on this point.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 00:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I understand your point, but where do we draw a line on something like that. I mean, we have just had a Tourist couple attacked and robbed. NZ is a cruising destination and these people are tourists. And I bet there will be more similar stories in countries all over the world. See what I mean?? But I do appreciate your comment and as stated by Sean. we the "team" are discussing this. Remember we are learnign what to do as well and this is why the post has not been dleted as such, but moved to a "holding" area for us to decide what to do with it and other future posts of similar nature.
As a result, the team is viewing a set of guidlines that other forums use. I think this will help the team be more consistant in our ruling.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:25   #12

My 2 cents worth. Any post that warns us about the safety of an area is pertinent. My son is gay and I was considering a charter trip to the Carribean for him. I sure as heck don't want to send him into harms way (I know he can find his own way there!)
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:23   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you copy and paste into forum messages copyrighted material you can be sure it will be removed - no matter what it says about or not about cruising. This issue while not properly stated here on this thread was a serious factor in the pulling of the posting.

Given that the initial post was actually a published article that was pasted into a a Crusiers Forum message using our BBS is quite frankly the only reason required to pull it from the board.

Cruisers Forum takes the position that copyrights are to be respected. We have pulled some really great cruising information because the author did not give permission to post it here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:31   #14
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Guys,

If he had posted a general description of the attack, and a link to the article, would that have met the forum guidelines?

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:02   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If he had posted a general description of the attack, and a link to the article, would that have met the forum guidelines?
Direct to the point of your question - "they didn't"

Odds are we never would have noticed in an off topic section. It would not have been much of a post. A see it's not safe to travel post isn't going to attract much.

The ability to cut and paste copyrighted pictures and text makes the post much more alive. Someone with a gash in their head draws attention. It was a copyrighted news story so it has something of a structure to it. Your average clown can't write that well and supply pictures. It also gets on the radar screen really fast. If you see pictures in a message think "copyright".

If we want to have an off topic policy then we need to work at it a lot more than any of the other policies. It's highly subjective. Other people see it different. Better to not to pull it first and ask questions here later. Maybe the next one won't be as simple.

We could for instance do a quick go through and make a list of posts that are off topic at least as the lead post indicates. Then see if we can pull something from it. That says nothing for all the drifted messages attached to the many post we have. We sure can't go there any time soon. It's the section, topic and first post that sets things in motion.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote