Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2021, 03:01   #1

Boat: RB98
Proper place to ask for advice on boat for sale?

I am looking to buy a boat for circumnavigation. But as I am well aware that i do not know everything I would like to get input on the boat I am looking at.

Sort of
"Does the boat in this ad look like a good idea for someone who wants to sail around the world?
https://www.boat24.com/XXXXXXX"

Where in the forums should I post such a question?
Raubaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 03:12   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Proper place to ask for advice on boat for sale?

I would recommend a more holistic approach to long distance sailing. This means gaining knowledge and experience in all facets of expedition sailing. Kind of a walk before you run approach.

Then when you are ready for circumnavigation you will not need or want to ask this question. The boat is only one small part of the equation.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 03:59   #3

Boat: RB98

Agreed.

But let's say that i am looking at a boat that I will use to step by step work my way up to a circumnavigation. And that I feel confident in buying a coastal cruiser, handling a boat up to 32 feet and living aboard for a month or two. But now I'm looking for the next step.
Where should I ask questions about an ad for a boat that is just outside my comfort zone?
Raubaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 13:24   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raubaton View Post
Agreed.

But let's say that i am looking at a boat that I will use to step by step work my way up to a circumnavigation. And that I feel confident in buying a coastal cruiser, handling a boat up to 32 feet and living aboard for a month or two. But now I'm looking for the next step.
Where should I ask questions about an ad for a boat that is just outside my comfort zone?
Such questions could well be placed in the general sailing forum, or the monohull forum as well. This forum (forum tech support) is for questions/requests about the CF site in general.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard CF... we're here to help you in your quest.

Jim
Old 18-11-2021, 07:54   #5

Raubaton:

As Jim sez, just post to the general forum and don't get too worried about choosing a "subforum".

You have already started your seafaring career I gather, but I think there is wisdom in coming to the understanding that it is not the boat that takes the crew safely across oceans, it t'other way about - it's the crew that takes the boat safely across oceans. Therefore MOST boats you will find in the second-hand market will do the job, given PROPER preparation. And if YOUR skills as skipper are adequate.

The RB98 would do it if properly fitted out and properly handled, although I would, myself, consider her a little light, which is not surprising since she must have originally been designed and constructed for Skärgården.

I do not have a sketch of the interior appurtenances, but I see from what little specifications I can find that she has 6 (six!!?) bunks in a 28 footer of less than five tons displacement. That, IMO, is not sensible use of space for any long term cruising by a couple, let alone a single-handing sailor.

So leaving aside for now the sailing characteristics of this or any other boat you might choose, consider carefully what sort of accommodation your own body (and that of your companion, if one is involved) requires to be content during long periods of isolation. Choose for discussion a boat whose interior already offers such accommodation. Then we can discuss that particular boats sailing characteristics and debate whether she is fit for a circumnavigation.

Lycka till :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 10:14   #6

Here is a website which provides consultation on the purchase of Water boats">blue water boats. Boat Selection Consultation Service – MAHINA SAILING
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, for sale, rope, sale