Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 16:33   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari Evolution, 40ft, Helia 44 July 2018 delivery
New post

Could you please advise me how I can post a question on the Forum?
I seem to have missed the obvious link. Apologies from an 'old guy' who would prefer to be sailing in 40kts than battling a computer. Cheers Logie

Maybe I have just stumbled onto it, although not sure I can get here again
Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 16:35   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: New post

You've already posted one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 16:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari Evolution, 40ft, Helia 44 July 2018 delivery

Thanks, I am embarrassed now... Can never find a 6 year old to help me, when you need one...
Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 02:30   #4

Now that made me laugh. A post saying I can't post
kxsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:10   #5

Boat: Norseman 447 AC

I'm replying to a post, but don't know how to start a new one, Could use some help
compdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:27   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc View Post
I'm replying to a post, but don't know how to start a new one, Could use some help
Welcome to CF, the both of you!

compdoc, to start a thread, go to the section of CF where you want to start it, & look over on the LHS of the page perhaps 30% of the way down. You'll see a small rectangular box that says "Start Thread" just above the vertical list of recent threads in saidi section of the forums you're in. Click on it, & you can begin. Starting with creating a title for the thread, & then entering the info that you want to use to begin the thread. Whether it's a question, or a statement. And you can attach; pics to the thread, videos, or links to other threads, & websites, etc. All by pasting the addresses of these items into the box where you reply to the thread, or info on the new thead is entered. Ditto when replying to a thread.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I also advise using the "Go Advanced" button rather than the Quick Reply, IF you want to add photos etc. It also shows emoticons like smilies

Here is a my tip on posting photos:

How to post a photo or multiple photos on CF threads:

I encourage everyone to post photos in CF because everyone enjoys seeing photos of boats and photos of gear helps to clarify communications about problems and helps others help one another with answers that fit questions. When you post a comment, you can use the "Post Reply / Advanced / Manage Attachments" function to add up to 12 photos to your post. It first allows 6 photos, but if you upload six first, you can then add another 6 for a total of 12, if you want.

You can find a very easy to follow video instruction about how to post photos on CF by going to the FAQ here or look on YouTube for a very clear video that shows how to do it. It is easy, but not intuitive. The video is a big help. Here is a link to the video.
https://youtu.be/NW5n8vZM34c

Watch and it is very easy to do. You can also post other types of content (videos, etc.) and photo files of many kinds.

Speedy Tip 1:
I usually post a jpg photo file that is about 1200x800 pixels, because that is what I consider a nice large size for web viewing. Most files can be downsized to about 100kb - 400kb or some larger. If my original photo file is high resolution (like a photo I take with my iPad), I prefer to first use some software (an app) to downsize the image file so that it is smaller and faster to upload. Since I use my iPad for most of my web surfing and CF surfing too, I use a free app called "Image Size" (by vsmedia.de - Software Development - iPhone & iPad apps and desktop applications) which is very easy, fast, and has multiple options. It does have some ads in the free version, but $1.99 removes the ads. I have no connection to that app other than being a happy user. It works for me and is intuitive and flexible.

Speedy Tip 2:
If you think you might refer to that photo in the future (e.g. Photos of your own boat or boat projects or gear), you could also upload it to your CF Profile and start a photo album there to contain your boat photos.

Old 11-11-2016, 14:02   #8

thanks. i wish I could say that helped but no luck. There is no box "start thread" anywhere on the page, only "post reply"
Old 11-11-2016, 14:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc View Post
thanks. i wish I could say that helped but no luck. There is no box "start thread" anywhere on the page, only "post reply"
He meant the button that is labeled. "NEW THREAD". You will see that when you are looking at the list of Topics within a forum.

Once you are IN a discussion topic/thread, the button changes to read "Post REPLY."

It is a button in the upper left corner of the forum page for any forum you enter. Look in the menu bar, upper left above the list of current discussion topics/threads.

Good luck.

Also, there is a FAQ somewhere, it may have more explanation.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Logie, and kxsport.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:47   #11

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Welcome to the very exclusive club Logie.
Now the club numbers TWO !!!!!
Viz : THE LOGIE LARA ASSOCIATION.

It has been lonely here.
B. At anchor near Manly ferry wharf.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:05   #12

thanks Steadyhand, finally got there but it took a while!