Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 15:55   #1

New CF App for the iPad

I know it's easy to get used to a site and forgiving of its shortcomings, and that a revamped site can seem a nuisance because we have to reset our nav compass, but what's with this new CF app for the iPad?

Unlike some webpages, the CF page holds up well on the iPad and I was hardly hanging out for an app. And at first blush, I can't see any advantages in it. It doesn't appear to offer new features nor expidite any processes and the aesthetics and readability factors are, IMHO, inferior (the value of columns for readability has been long accepted).

In short, the new app seems like a solution in search of a problem. But in fairness, I haven't yet given it a reasonable go - and anyway, I'm hoping others will shortcut that process by instructing me herewith on the app's advantages.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:06   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico
I think its OK but the forum category names don't seem to match the actual categories that you see on the site.

Also, there are numbers on the icon that indicate unread messages (or something else), but I have no idea what those numbers mean. On email it would indicate unread messages, but with the app I don't know since messages aren't sent directly to you unless it's a private message. Maybe someone else can explain what the numbers mean.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 17:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
I know it's easy to get used to a site and forgiving of its shortcomings, and that a revamped site can seem a nuisance because we have to reset our nav compass, but what's with this new CF app for the iPad?

Unlike some webpages, the CF page holds up well on the iPad and I was hardly hanging out for an app.
The forum does display well on an iPad but the same app can be used on a iPhone and this is where it shines. Loading all the graphics on a phone can take a long time and the app makes keeping up with threads and PMs a lot simpler on the tiny interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Also, there are numbers on the icon that indicate unread messages (or something else), but I have no idea what those numbers mean. On email it would indicate unread messages, but with the app I don't know since messages aren't sent directly to you unless it's a private message. Maybe someone else can explain what the numbers mean.

These are unread subscribed threads. At the bottom right there is a "button" with the word More under three dots. Pressing "More" brings up a menu page, the top of which is "Subscribed" (like going to the list in "User CP." When you have read the posts in subscribed threads the number will go away.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 17:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The forum does display well on an iPad but the same app can be used on a iPhone and this is where it shines. Loading all the graphics on a phone can take a long time and the app makes keeping up with threads and PMs a lot simpler on the tiny interface.
Yes, very good point. I've just tried it on the iphone and it does make a helluva difference. I'd previously pretty much given up CF on iphone for that reason and it had disappeared from my thinking. So yes, it's a big leap forward there. Thanks.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 17:10   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DarkBlue
Today I was browsing the iTunes site for some boating apps for my iPhone and then I found out this CF app!!
I'm testing it and till now it seems perfect. Thank you!
DarkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 22:40   #6

I hope it works better than the iPhone app...mine crashes every time I use it.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad