Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 06:08   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 41
Message length

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters

“When trying to respond to posts or creating a new one I receive an error message telling me that my message is too short and must be at least 5 characters. This is even though my response may have run to several hundred characters. This is frustrating since my response is lost and must be re-entered (which still doesn't work by the way). This does not happen using the mobile app but typing responses on my smart phone is very cumbersome.”

This exact post was just attempted while logged in on my computer.

Why is this happening?
Ribman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 06:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Message length

Howdy.
I am not a forum tech. But I have a few tips you might check to avoid problems:

1. IF you are writing a LONG message, write it OFF the forum in a text editor and then paste the finished text into the Reply box. Otherwise you may lose your text if the forum "times out" on you. I am not certain of the allowed, but I think it is something like 5 minutes or less.

2. As I recall, you must include a subject line (title) in Private Messages, in addition to the main message text. If you do not, you will see a popup dialog box.

IF you are entering your message in the SUBJECT line box, instead of in the main message box, you would probably see a popup message that says your message is too short. I don't think you can simply add a short text message in the Subject Line box and have it work, as the software requires both the subject and main message, as I recall.

In short, make sure you are entering BOTH a Subject Line and a Main Message.

3. I don't use the CF app. I use a browser (SAFARI) on my ipad. I did not like the reduced features and menu and look of the mobile app.

Hope that helps. For further help, the forum tech support should help you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 09:09   #3

My posts have been made in the main text area and after I started having issues I would copy and paste for further attempts but no joy.
For my first post today I first tried on my desktop and then emailed the text to my self so that I could paste on my phone which is when I had success.
Old 13-10-2017, 10:31   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

All I can say is I've never had that problem using a PC. This makes me believe it's not a forum problem.
Old 13-10-2017, 17:02   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I have the problem, occasionally, from my laptop here on the boat, but although I sometimes get the message (maybe 3 times a week), the posts usually go through.

I check to see if it arrived by looking at the thread again, refreshing it first. Usually the post is there. Some of said posts are fairly long, perhaps 6 paragraphs.

Ann
Old 13-10-2017, 17:37   #6

I haven't noticed the posts going through in the past though they may have. I just assumed when getting the error message that nothing had happened. But if that had been the case in this thread wouldn't there have been duplicate posts to start with? At any rate I'll pay closer attention in the future.
If it happens to be
intermittent issue so be it, I'll just work around it.