Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2008, 16:26   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is It Possible . . .

I'm sure I'm the only one who has this "problem," but I find myself wondering why, when I go to the end of a looooong thread to see what has been added since I last read it, and find that the last page contains all new posts, when I go back one page (looking for the last post I'd already read), I'm taken to the top of that previous page. Then, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, find the last post, then scroll upward looking for the last familiar post.

To me, it seems more logical that one would be taken to the bottom of the previous page when going there from a later page.

Just a thought.

TaoJones
Old 23-05-2008, 17:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
As far as I understand and may I say I have little understanding when it comes to computers, but the only way the software knows you have been to say "the last post" is for a cookie? or some tag to be held on your computers HDD. The site then asks your computer for a "tag" and the site would then take you to the last read post. However, if you are not accepting cookies, or have a firewall or I dunno..but some means that stops the site from polling your computer for information, then the site can never take you to that somewhere. Now it may well be that the sites software does not send that much and that kind of information, so even if you do accept cookies, the site may simply not supply it.
I hope somewhere within all that, the answer may be and may have helped.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 19:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I'm sure I'm the only one who has this "problem," but I find myself wondering why, when I go to the end of a looooong thread to see what has been added since I last read it, and find that the last page contains all new posts, when I go back one page (looking for the last post I'd already read), I'm taken to the top of that previous page. Then, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, find the last post, then scroll upward looking for the last familiar post.

To me, it seems more logical that one would be taken to the bottom of the previous page when going there from a later page.

Just a thought.

TaoJones
Good to hear that you don't have too many big issues bothering you in life - LOL.

Just kidding.

Missed you arounf here for a while and it looks like you moved to NV. You were in SoCal before, right?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 20:24   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Dan,

Yes, I was living in SoCal for thirty years (1975-2005) while I was working in the film business. When I became convinced that the real estate market could not sustain itself, I sold my home there of 18 years in June of '05, put most of a four-bedroom house full of stuff into storage, bought an RV and hit the road.

This year, some forty thousand miles later (and after having withdrawn my offer for Bumfuzzle in May 2007), I decided to stick a toe into the real estate pond again. It's funny - when I was in Vegas in late '05, I looked at a few nice houses, and even considered buying something then.

In the 2 1/2 years since, given what has occurred in the real estate market, I was able to buy this house for right at 65% of the '05 asking price. Could I have gotten it for less had I waited? Probably. I don't see the real estate melt-down ending for several years, at least.

But I was ready to drop anchor (or should I say leveling jacks) permanently, and ride out what I foresee as some seriously rough times in the near future in a place of my own. Then, in the middle of escrow on this house, the whole Snickers saga began (see "Shipwrecked Animals in Peril . . . Please Help" in the Cruising with Pets Forum) and I haven't had much spare time until very recently.

So it's good to be greeted here by my young (ish) friend Ex-Cal as I get back up to speed on Cruisers Forum. How are things in Singapore?

TaoJones
Old 23-05-2008, 20:28   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
If you aren't aware of it, there is the little blue arrow next to the subject that will take you to the first unread post, then you can read forward from there.

The "New Posts" feature is handy too, as long as you come here frequently...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 20:45   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
If you aren't aware of it, there is the little blue arrow next to the subject that will take you to the first unread post, then you can read forward from there.

The "New Posts" feature is handy too, as long as you come here frequently...
Aha! Got it! Thanks, scotte.
Old 26-05-2008, 16:43   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

So it's good to be greeted here by my young (ish) friend Ex-Cal as I get back up to speed on Cruisers Forum. How are things in Singapore?

TaoJones
It's nice to still be called youngish, especially after celebrating(?) my 47th this month - LOL.

However, I have noticed the boat keeps me young and active. Don't feel 47. More like 45 or 46 - Ha...

Other than having an extremely busy first quarter and finally getting my feet back on the ground, it's been swell. We just finished a haulout and got a ton of small and big jobs done.

The main one was repairing the foredeck and reinstalling the bow pulpit. Some may recall that we were hit at night late last year (hit and run) and the bow pulpit was destroyed and ripped out of the deck. We took too long to repair it but it was therapeutic to re-hone my fibreglassing skills.

We are in the doldrums for a bit now and it's hot and sticky and mostly no wind. However we do get lucky. We had our bi-weekly twilight sail and came in 3rd.

I hope your economy predictions don't come true but if they do, keep your head down and your money safe!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 18:46   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It's nice to still be called youngish, especially after celebrating(?) my 47th this month - LOL.

However, I have noticed the boat keeps me young and active. Don't feel 47. More like 45 or 46 - Ha...

Other than having an extremely busy first quarter and finally getting my feet back on the ground, it's been swell. We just finished a haulout and got a ton of small and big jobs done.

The main one was repairing the foredeck and reinstalling the bow pulpit. Some may recall that we were hit at night late last year (hit and run) and the bow pulpit was destroyed and ripped out of the deck. We took too long to repair it but it was therapeutic to re-hone my fibreglassing skills.

We are in the doldrums for a bit now and it's hot and sticky and mostly no wind. However we do get lucky. We had our bi-weekly twilight sail and came in 3rd.

I hope your economy predictions don't come true but if they do, keep your head down and your money safe!
Glad to see that you've gotten the pulpit repaired, Dan. Did you ever find the culprit?

The only thing I would point out about my economic views is that they're observations based on historical patterns, not predictions. Predictions in economics are about as reliable as . . . well, insert your own favorite derogatory comment here. But it is possible, in my view, to gather information, analyze numbers and patterns, separate indisputable fact from BS and assign probability percentages to possible outcomes.

After that, if a person has the courage of his convictions and risks capital, or secures his capital from risk, based on what his analysis has revealed to him, then that's the best that he can do. He won't always be right, of course, but if he's right more often that not and understands sound capital management, then he'll win more than he loses.

What more could one ask in such a high-stakes "game?"

TaoJones