Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 14:48   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Invasive popup at bottom of screen

Anyone know how to be rid of the
Quote:
Sailing News Delivered to your Email!
Stay up-to-date with the latest cruising news.
popup at the bottom of screen?
It does have a close tab, but that doesn't work

I have noticed, now that I am logged in it is gone, seems only to be there when browsing.
Old 03-02-2013, 15:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Invasive popup at bottom of screen

Answered you own question?
Old 03-02-2013, 15:47   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Used to be you could X it out once and it would be gone for the rest of your session. Now you can't even X it out. Pretty annoying. Sometimes I don't really want or need to log in, but I do just to get rid of the thing.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I will see if I can get that looked into.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:35   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

About 60% of the page's surface area is made up of ads. That's how they make their money; advertising. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
About 60% of the page's surface area is made up of ads. That's how they make their money; advertising. Mauritz
Thanks God for AdBlock! I wish there were one for TV.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
Thanks God for AdBlock! I wish there were one for TV.
Hmm. Using the a service (the forum) but withholding payment (the ad revenue)... I believe that is commonly referred to as "stealing".
mr_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 22:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Hmm. Using the a service (the forum) but withholding payment (the ad revenue)... I believe that is commonly referred to as "stealing".
Nonsense. There is no law, rule, regulation, EULA, agreement or contract that say that I have to read ads. Your's is a view only held by the TV lobby, that hates when people skip stupid commercials in recordings.

To beat a dead horse, If I were stealing I would have something of value that belongs to somebody else, which is obviously a fallacy.

I think it's legitimate to block ads in my computer being, among other reasons, that they use energy paid by me (and a lot of it, many animated and flash ads suck up a lot of CPU) to display them, without my permission to do so. I imagine that following your criteria, if I want to check a movie time in, say, a free issue of the LA Weekly, I'd be obligated to read it cover to cover. I would find that to be idiotic.

Which is not saying that I do not appreciate the work of publishers of this site. They do an amazing job and an incredibly useful service to the community. I'm sure there are sufficient readers of ads to make work their business model. Only that I exercise my freedom not reading unsolicited ads by blocking them. And so do millions of internet users around.

Be a little more careful before accusing people of stealing, it could be construed as slander.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 22:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
Nonsense. There is no law, rule, regulation, EULA, agreement or contract that say that I have to read ads. Your's is a view only held by the TV lobby, that hates when people skip stupid commercials in recordings.

To beat a dead horse, If I were stealing I would have something of value that belongs to somebody else, which is obviously a fallacy.

I think it's legitimate to block ads in my computer being, among other reasons, that they use energy paid by me (and a lot of it, many animated and flash ads suck up a lot of CPU) to display them, without my permission to do so. I imagine that following your criteria, if I want to check a movie time in, say, a free issue of the LA Weekly, I'd be obligated to read it cover to cover. I would find that to be idiotic.

Which is not saying that I do not appreciate the work of publishers of this site. They do an amazing job and an incredibly useful service to the community. I'm sure there are sufficient readers of ads to make work their business model. Only that I exercise my freedom not reading unsolicited ads by blocking them. And so do millions of internet users around.

Be a little more careful before accusing people of stealing, it could be construed as slander.
First, I never suggested you had to read the ads.

Second, the LA Weekly does not get paid by view, they get paid by circulation. Your analogy in not valid. I suppose it would be more like you got the movie times and then somehow forced the paper to give back the revenue for ad sales.

Third, the fact that those ads use some trivial amount of your power is not relevant. You are not required to visit the site.

You are correct that you are free to do whatever you want. I am also free to publicly judge you for it. If I ran a forum, I would certainly ban users with ad blocking software since they are using my bandwidth (something of value) without providing me payment. Not a difficult thing to do, so I guess you should be glad that this forum doesn't do that.

EDIT: Also, to be clear, this would be libel, not slander. Good luck pursuing that.
mr_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 23:33   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Of course, if you find this site to be useful and/or entertaining, you could just drop the 15 bucks per year it costs to upgrade your membership. I have done so, because I find this site to be both of the above. One of the vey few internet sites that is.

15 bucks is peanuts. I've gotten a return on my investment back so many times over that I can't count it.

But to each his/her (no discrimination here friends) own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54   #11

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I use AdBlock Plus (and NoScript) for most of my roaming around the internet, because most of the ads served up are just ridiculous and nothing I'm interested in. It's like having a Fuller Brush salesman get his foot in your door.
But for Cruisers Forum and other sites I respect and support, I just go to the AdBlock settings and click "Disable on Cruisersforum.com." I'm happy to view ads that are relevant to me.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 06:30   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I will see if I can get that looked into.
Still not fixed. Will not close. Very irritating as I use a netbook when cruising and the banner takes up a fifth of the screen.
Old 17-02-2013, 06:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Still not fixed. Will not close. Very irritating as I use a netbook when cruising and the banner takes up a fifth of the screen.
I had a similar issue in a different forum. I unchecked a couple of of extensions in Chrome. Gone.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:36   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

Maybe if I withhold the tech guy's beer?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I had a similar issue in a different forum. I unchecked a couple of of extensions in Chrome. Gone.
In Firefox, you can get rid of the bottom banner by unchecking the "Enable Java Script" in Options. But then other things may not work properly.
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen