Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 16:14   #16

Re: How to re-invert falsely inverted photos??

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Is this a test or a joke? phones, computers, etc all have photo inversion options.
Not a joke. Uploading pictures on a forum is different than uploading on facebook or emailing. The picture can look totally normal to you, but when you upload it, it could be sideways or upside down. On another forum that I mod, IT has looked into it, but they can't fix it for some reason. It's one of our main frustrations.

Cropping, if even just a little bit, fixes the issue.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:06   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Thanks guys, I appreciate all this info and input.
My photos get inverted even if I take a one with phone horisontally and button on right hand side. And yes, rotating photos in phone's gallery doesn't help. But now I know what the issue is, thanks for explaining this. I guess I'll have to start editing photos in laptop before posting. Meaning posting photos from phone direct without laptop editing has become an obsolete method.
Cheers.
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 08:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
It is your phone that is the culprit. Before you take a picture, turn off the auto rotate feature on your phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The problem is not with CF, it's with web browsers image rendering.

The problem arises because you can hold a smartphone "any way up" when you take a photo. If the camera is held "upside down", the software will store the data from the same start corner to the same end corner of the image sensor so the image is stored "upside" down. The camera also stores an "Orientation" tag in the EXIF data which is contained in the image file along with the actual image data. If the camera was held upside down, the Orientation tag will read "Bottom Right" instead of the normal "Top Left".

Any good image display software, including the one in your phone will read this tag and display the image in the correct orientation.

Unfortunately web browser renderers generally do NOT read the EXIF data and just assume that the image is stored from top-left.

There are two options:
1. Edit and then save the image with software that lets you rotate the image.
or
2. Hold your phone the other way up when you take photos.

(For the geeks, there's a good discussion of this issue and an experimental CSS property, which may cause as many problems as it solves, here: https://foobuzz.github.io/ )
Thanx Stu for explaining this better than I could. I don't know all of the "details" But I do know it originates with a smart phone. Your "Lucy splainin" was much better than I could have ever done!
Maybe I should have said Ricky splainin....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lucysplainin.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	139664  
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photo