Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2021, 14:42   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: How to close my account?

@Full

Possibly the easiest way to have your account closed is to post a few (say three to five) nasty vindictive hateful personal political attacks on a moderator of your choice. All over red rover.

Tongue in cheek response inspired by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
That's strange, I've had post's removed all on their own...... never even asked for it............
And
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I know you're joking around here Davy, but that's a good illustration of the reality. As the Mods often tell us, it takes a fair bit of effort to deal with people who won't play by the rules. They end up having to manually remove or edit posts. It takes a lot of person-hours of work, and results in a cascade of problems when other posters are quoting the original posts that are now being removed.

It's a bit like a house of cards; you start tugging on one card and pretty soon the whole house falls apart.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 14:50   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I would like to close my account, but I couldn't figure out how.

Best regards.
Send me $50 and I will take care of it.
Old 12-05-2021, 17:44   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've seen on other forums where someone deleted a post that had had some replies, and sometime it still existed in a quote. Made the thread confusing either way. I think that knowing a post was forever would maybe make us think before hitting the "post" button.
Surely I'm not alone in wishing I'd said some things differently or not at all.
Still, when I'm tempted to leave all forums and media behind I think that if everyone did that, well, where would this and other helpful forums be?
Old 12-05-2021, 19:23   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
That's strange, I've had post's removed all on their own...... never even asked for it............

Your posts were removed as they were disrupting ongoing discussions.............never mind. [emoji38]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 20:20   #20

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Don't you get banned if you block a moderator? That seems to be the thing on most forums. Kind of like the auto boot system.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 03:48   #21

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Your posts were removed as they were disrupting ongoing discussions.............never mind. [emoji38]
If I remember correctly......... So were yours............
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 05:22   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
If I remember correctly......... So were yours............

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 05:39   #23

A reminder that we're all busily creating free content for Social Knowledge, LLC that they they believe they have full ownership of. Nothing wrong with the concept, just need to go in eyes wide open and both sides need to realize who's actually creating the value here.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 05:40   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
A reminder that we're all busily creating free content for Social Knowledge, LLC that they they believe they have full ownership of. Nothing wrong with the concept, just need to go in eyes wide open and both sides need to realize who's actually creating the value here.

Old 13-05-2021, 14:36   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Well, if this is not satisfactory to you (or others) then don't contribute. Seems simple to me.

Jim
Old 14-05-2021, 12:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, if this is not satisfactory to you (or others) then don't contribute. Seems simple to me.

Jim
I think I remember saying "nothing wrong with the concept", but maybe I'm misremembering? No, that's what I said.

Pointing out the truth of a situation shouldn't lead to being effectively told to leave. That's not terribly civil, to be honest.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:13   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I think I remember saying "nothing wrong with the concept", but maybe I'm misremembering? No, that's what I said.

Pointing out the truth of a situation shouldn't lead to being effectively told to leave. That's not terribly civil, to be honest.
Rob, I'm sorry that you took that personally. Your original post seemed critical of the idea of "supplying content" for the forum without compensation or control of the material. My point is that if this seems unacceptable, simply don't contribute. Nothing about telling you to leave the forum. I see nothing uncivil about that, but if you find it so, my apology to you.

Jim
Old 14-05-2021, 15:00   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just so we're clear, here are the terms of use that we all agree to. The specific clause of interest is:
Quote:
By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a limited license to display, reproduce, modify, and use any text, image, video, music, or any other content that you post on the Websites.
In other words, the owners (Social Knowledge) can do pretty much anything they want with the content users post. It's not a grant of copyright, but it's functionally nearly the same.

So yes, people should use this site with eyes wide open as to what they're trading. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 14-05-2021, 15:54   #29
JPK

Quote:

There's a saying: "If you're not the customer, you're the product."
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 02:30   #30

Boat: X442

In addition to the Meet and Greet forum should there not also be a Bon Voyage equivalent? So an existing user can kind of say good bye and not just disappear. For example if a user with a very large amount of posts were to 'retire' from posting (which obviously has happened many times in the past), isn't it appropriate to kind of say 'it's been fun, am stepping out now' or words to that effect? I for one am curious about what happened when an active poster simply disappears and, to be frank, sometimes very slightly concerned...
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote