Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 22:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah Jeff H. I enjoyed your expert input way back then and often think "I wonder what Jeff would have replied" when I see a post on hull design. Jeff, your knowledge is Gold and much appreciated.
Quote:
That I can not get paid to do this full time
Hehe, yeah I think the entire "team" think that or similar often. In fact to be more to the point. I think we all kinda scratch our heads and wonder, How come Andy owns the board, earns money from the board and we all do the work ;-) :-) Hmmm, I thought I was supposed to turn left at the Fork in the road. But the Fork turned out to be a Shovel.
No really, I enjoy it and if it wasn't for Andy, we most likely would not have a Forum today. GISLE most likely woudl have pulled the plug at some stage because of other commitments.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
No really, I enjoy it and if it wasn't for Andy, we most likely would not have a Forum today. GISLE most likely would have pulled the plug at some stage because of other commitments.
The growth of membership is more often the key to the demise of the forums and still is. It starts out as a small group of fun loving people and suddenly it's a large mass with a lot of diversity and like a small city attacks a few of the anti social class.

SPAM used to be a severe problem when we had "bots' designed to automatically place spam. We have held back those attempts but are now faced with a new attack. Biologically based spam bots. Low wage 3rd world employees that manually subscribe to boards with throw away email addresses.

Without some active management most boards can't grow to any significant size and stay attractive and active. We still need members to report spam and threads headed out of control. We need help making sure new members are welcomed and discover the good parts about Cruisers Forum. We also need the growing volume of experiences and information we all share. New stuff happens all the time. We all want to be there for that too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
As for the founder of our world:
His name is GISLE...not Gisel.
It is an old viking name..It means: He who is going to start the cruising forum in 1000 years on a plastic cat...
Dag: Thanks for the spelling correction, and the translation.
I woke up, in a panic*, last night, thinking, did I femininize his name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
... Here is to the next 1000 years...
Another thing that scares me* , is a Viking with a German name, talking about a 1,000 year reign.

* Doesn’t take much to terrorize me.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39   #19
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Hope I didn't forget anyone?
Any openings? I promise to behave this time!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
This forum is head and shoulders above the rest because the administrators and moderators keep things under control without stifling discussion.

Good job mates.
Perfectly stated. Thanks to everyone for making this happen.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:59   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations to all of you for maintaining a great forum! I think it has grown quite a lot from just the couple years I've been here. Really hard to keep track of all the new folks and I miss saying "welcome" to a few. I know how good it made me feel when folks gave me a "big hello."
Great forum and well done.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48   #22
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Not much I can add to the info provided above. When I acquired the site Gord and one other member (who enjoyed sea planes, what was his name) were the only mods. We recruited some new team members and they have done an amazing job of fostering the community. I would like to raise my glass and give a big toast to the mods and admins who volunteer their time to manage our online community. Without their guidance and hard work, CF would be a very different place. Thanks guys!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:50   #23
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
When I acquired the site Gord and one other member (who enjoyed sea planes, what was his name
The Sea Plane fanatic was a SHE...Have not heard from her lately...
Old 04-03-2008, 13:46   #24
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
The Sea Plane fanatic was a SHE...Have not heard from her lately...
SHE, huh? Well, that rules out the owner of Hemisphere Dancer . . . you know, the PBY with the bullet holes in the fuselage from a little "Jamaica mistaka."

TaoJones
Old 04-03-2008, 14:03   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Amphibian was the first moderator.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ibian-735.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 16:38   #26
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Amphibian was the first moderator.
Yup, that is her. I met the young Lady on a different board, then invited her over to this place. She is a flying nut, but I took virtual sailing and she liked it..Lost contact with her. Perhaps she bought a boat and are now out sailing...?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:43   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I would just like to echo what most have said thus far. My great appreciation to you for the hard work from all of you making this a site where you can express in a give and take way.
Also a hand for all the members and there vast knowledge of boats and their patients as well...Cheers
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 17:24   #28
Marine Service Provider

I was just looking for anti-fouling info which I finally found here with the help of a couple of the members. Low and behold I'm still here and just haven't gone away or as some may say 'we haven't been able to get rid of him'

Also owning a marine based business I've found it a mine of information on how, why and what everyone wants from people like me and our products. We have changed the way we do a few things, how and what info we give out and all sorts of good things. All damn good stuff really, I've learnt lots and still are.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 19:26   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Gawd! I've been on here so long I forgot there were other sites.

Is there?
Old 06-03-2008, 20:01   #30

Howdy to all the site greybeards ! I still check in here from time to time . Been coming here since April 24th, 2003. Loved it when it was small. I'm uncomfortable in large crowds. This is still a great resource, though.
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
history