Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 18:08   #1

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Blocking users comments

Any way to do this? I'm a little tired of thread hijackers.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:48   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I believe what you ask is counter productive to a good discussion board. If you think someone is hijacking a thread, speak up on the thread and get it back on track. One persons hijacker is another's source of information. Some folks do get a bit too technical and some even get a bit full of themselves but you can certainly skip over those posts and do your own censoring.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:13   #3

I'm guessing you want to ask a question, which requires comments, so blocking them in total sounds a little counter productive.

If you just want to soapbox, use a blog.

But if you want to be able to selectively delete certain people's comments and input, that's not a board I'd want to be on, and you probably won't have anyone worth their salt on it either.

I agree with your frustration though: freedom of speech is not always the speech you want to hear.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:38   #4

I just get tired or folks who fight by spread their petty personal attacks from one thread to the next. I've only see a few folks that do this but it gets very tiresome. Especially, when there is such good debate. I did find the ignore list just after posting. It helps but doesn't do what I was hoping.

I generally agree with your comment about not wanted to be on a board that doesn't let people speak their mind. I just wish is was about sailing and not personal attacks.
Old 19-02-2008, 19:39   #5
cruiser

When I'm blocking rebel heart for not telling me what his "thud" was...

ha ha ha

Seriously, it would be rather difficult to follow a thread only seeing every 2nd or 5th post because you blocked a member.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
There are a couple of options.

Option 1. If a thread has problem posts, use the report post button (triangle under posters name) and ask a moderator to deal with it. They may or may not agree, but you can try.

Option 2. We actually have an ignore member feature. If you would like to ignore every post made a member, view their profile and you will see an "ignore user" link .

You can undo this option if you change your mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF ignore.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2735  
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Umm, so let me get this right. You want the right to excercise free speech, but stop everyone else having that right? ;-) :-) <<
please note the wink and the smile

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:33   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Well my take on all this is this forum is free. I get really good information here and I also enjoy the fellowshipping that goes on here. To regulate it would just be like anything else that is regulated. Seems we have enough of that in everyday living.
I do agree some people either get a little sideways with the thread but as pointed out, you could easily steer it back on the subject at hand...uh tiller. Often times a newbie to the forum is not up on how it all works. Maybe it is our responsibility to point them in the right direction.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One thing I want to make very clear to all. Excuse me while I pull up my soapbox. righty then.
This site is a Private place. Everyone here is a guest. We have certain rules that ensure that all members can participate in such a way, that they do not feel threatend and/or insulted with the comments they make, assuming thier own comment is not Threatening or insulting. We try not ot have too many rules so as we do not stifle participation on the board. However, we do have some rules to ensure that this board is a "safe place" for members to post and that we do not become cluttered with Spam and Vendors pushing their wares.

Just to possibly add some more clarity. We do not mind people having an opinion. We welcome it. It would be a very booring place if you all just listened to my opinion and took it as gospel and no one ever challenged it. It would be patronising if I considered that another member should not challenge me on my comments. Everyone is entitled to their own view and their own view may not be that of other members. But we WILL NOT TOLERATE any member personly attacking any other member publicly on this site.

Old 20-02-2008, 21:11   #10

I understand and agree with everyone's desire to keep this a free and open forum. I just get frustrated when people attack each other personally and move from thread to thread doing so.

I really like
controversial questions and people. However, angry people suck.

I've used the ignore member feature and that seems to with my frustration.

Thanks
Old 20-02-2008, 21:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Blue, If you see someone do that (move thread to thread attacking) let one of us (Mod/admin team) know. We won't stand for it and will shoot on site, OK.

Old 21-02-2008, 06:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Blue, If you see someone do that (move thread to thread attacking) let one of us (Mod/admin team) know. We won't stand for it and will shoot on site, OK.
Alan, will do.
Old 21-02-2008, 07:51   #13

Thread drift happens but as Wheels said personal attacks do not need to occur.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We (admin/mod team) are very happy to be pointed in the direction of "attack" posts. We often miss them because it is such a big job covering every post, especially on day's like yesterday. It was really busy. One recent thread (those involved knwo what I am talking about) had a history(2-3mths old) that I hadn't gone back into and thus missed what was taking place. I was pointed to that history by a member and was shocked to find what I did. So sometimes we miss things purely based on scale.
We have no clocked over 10,000 members. Wow!!!. So this problem is only going to grow.

Old 21-02-2008, 10:39   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
What happens if you try to block yourself? …. I am very often disgusted by my behaviour!

Seriously Blue, I think all the members here have good and bad posts and like any family we sometimes get a bit hot. BUT one thing I have noticed in this great forum is that the members quite often police themselves by reminding others to keep their toes outside the door and not be personal.

We are in general a pretty happy bunch.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote