Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 10:29   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: ADVERT CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
ooh. I misunderstood. Probably not cf, since no one else has experienced it, but possibly your internet provider. Call and ask if they've had some malware problems as you're having these issues and your computer is clean based on 3 or 4 different cleaning methods.
And it hasn't happened again in two days.

Odd. Maybe it is my ISP.

I did get a email that was a spoof to get me to send them info and when I tried to forward it to spoof.paypal.com like they say to it was returned by my ISP as being suspect. I need to ask them why they allowed it to me but I can't send it to one that wants it.
Old 18-03-2013, 11:33   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are a couple of Apple Stores in Tampa. Just sayin' . . .

TaoJones
Old 18-03-2013, 11:41   #33

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
restore is the ultimate option I know.

No rootkit scanner. Is there a free one? (that works).

System Restore is different from a complete reinstallation of Windows, if that's what you were thinking of. . . . System Restore marks major points in your computer's evolution -- like every time a program or driver is installed -- and you can choose to Restore to an earlier system configuration. It's pretty innocuous. It doesn't delete any of your personal files.

On Windows 7 machines, just click on Start and type "System Restore" into the search box. You should see it in the menu above, and you can follow directions from there.

If you have Win XP, it's Control Panel > System > System Restore.

If you have any restore points available between the time you got the machine and when the problem started, roll it back and see if the problem goes away.

As for rootkit scanners -- some of the malware programs have them built in, so you may have already scanned for rootkits when you ran Malwarebytes. But here's a page recommending the best free rootkit scanners:

Best Free Rootkit Scanner and Remover

and this link should take you to the one they recommend most highly:
How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon)?

Good luck!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 17:14   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
There are a couple of Apple Stores in Tampa. Just sayin' . . .

TaoJones
Heh.

Thanks.

There is one in central west FL. In Brandon. My son sells them (and fixes them) there.

I will convert when it all works (like I and others expect it to) with "the business side of things".
Old 18-03-2013, 17:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
System Restore is different from a complete reinstallation of Windows, if that's what you were thinking of. . . . System Restore marks major points in your computer's evolution -- like every time a program or driver is installed -- and you can choose to Restore to an earlier system configuration. It's pretty innocuous. It doesn't delete any of your personal files.

On Windows 7 machines, just click on Start and type "System Restore" into the search box. You should see it in the menu above, and you can follow directions from there.

If you have Win XP, it's Control Panel > System > System Restore.

If you have any restore points available between the time you got the machine and when the problem started, roll it back and see if the problem goes away.

As for rootkit scanners -- some of the malware programs have them built in, so you may have already scanned for rootkits when you ran Malwarebytes. But here's a page recommending the best free rootkit scanners:

Best Free Rootkit Scanner and Remover

and this link should take you to the one they recommend most highly:
How to remove malware belonging to the family Rootkit.Win32.TDSS (aka Tidserv, TDSServ, Alureon)?

Good luck!
Thanks.

I have used system restore in the past. It is just the in between data loss that I have to save and then put back in. I have been known to forget some things to save and/or not get them put back correctly. No guru here.

But now on day three without it happening.

Kaspersky TDSSSKiller = no threats

I must be clean.