Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 08:58   #1

Boat: Beneteau 373
Send a message via Skype™ to Rharvey
Sailing in Florida

My wife and I are considering sailing our boat to Titusville Florida next July on our way to the Bahamas in December. Would anyone have testimonials for the Westland Marina in Titusville? Thanks.
Rharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:31   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I usually go a little further to dragon point and Telemar bay marina.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 16:05   #3

I actually prefer the titusville area things are cheaper. You didn't say the size of your boat. Telemar if living aboard minimum is 35 feet and expensive. There is another Marina called sundance marine a mile or to great marina reasonable hand they allow you tp work on tour own boat in the water. Ask for steve the dock master and said skip sent you. In that section there's good water almost shore to shore
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 16:16   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Sailing in Florida

it does not say where you live and i have no idea where charlottetown is - but if not in fla why in the world would want to take your boat into the hurricane zone during hurricane season -- we spent 5 years in miami and went thru something like 7 hurricanes - not good
oh and what does your insurance company say --

does not seem to make a lot of sense as you can leave the carolinas after hurricane season and drop down to fla and then across

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 17:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
but if not in fla why in the world would want to take your boat into the hurricane zone during hurricane season -- we spent 5 years in miami and went thru something like 7 hurricanes - not good
So, Chuck....Are you saying your boat made it thru 7 hurricanes and still floats?
What is the difference between a tropical storm and a hurricane? 1 MPH?

I understand your concern, but the truth is, if it's not a bad season the odds are not bad either....

Another truth is....a hurricane is an excuse for a party...after the boat is secured with lines 3X diameter what you normallly would use and then double that amount. If you can find a suitable anchorage....in a suitable "windfree" spot...

However...if you have never been thru one, you will wish you were on a rollercoaster at a theme park, because you will at the least know when the ride will be finished....
Am I right or am I wrong?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 17:29   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

What do you want to know about Westland. Are you going to haul? Keep the boat on the hard? Get work done? Or just stay a night? If you're just passing through and want a marina for the night, Titusville Marina would be the stop. Don't think Westland caters to transients. The anchorage in Titusville is now full of moorings but you can still anchor east of the ICW or north of the moorings.
Old 25-01-2013, 18:22   #7

Boat: csy 37

i'm currently hauled out at westland. been going there off and on for the past ten years. hope to be back in the water in a few months, then it's back to the bahamas.

westland is an excellent yard if you want to work on your boat. you can do nearly anything - although they do require you to 'tent' with tarps if you do heavy bottom sanding or spray painting (i did both). they have an excellent mechanic - tommy - who can do any mechanical work you might need. what he cant do (like injector pumps) he can send out to quality shops.

they have a new boaters lounge, laundry, heads, showers, and free wifi. on the other hand, they do not have a yacht club ambience. it's a working yard. dock space is available and satisfactory. if there's no space available, you can anchor out in a large bay and i'm sure that rick, the yard boss, will let you use their dinghy dock while you wait. there's a canvas shop on premises.

there is some shopping within walking distance, including supermarkets and restaraunts. there is a county bus system that will take you to more shopping. cape canaveral national seashore and park is across the bay. lots of nature stuff to see and do, like fishing, and kayaking.

westland marina shares it's breakwater with the city of titusville marina. that marina rents mooring balls as well as having dock space. it's a tiny bit more upscale then westland in that there is no work area, but the amenities aren't as nice as the new facilities at westland.

i've been in westland three times in the past ten years, for several months at a time, and will go back again.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 19:03   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Westland just put my boat back in the water today. I keep it at the the City Marina next door. We will be using them again, very nice folks.

There are some people that live on the hook out near the mooring field. I think its $5 or so for a pump out with the City if you are not renting a slip or ball.

Tags
florida, sailing