Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2007, 12:36   #1
cruiser

Donations, Websites, PR Companies

I'm quite against taking money from people when not in dire financial straits, as has been evidenced by my more than strong voicings on this site.

However, it has come to my attention that more and more cruisers are doing just that. They develop websites, enable donations and have amateur PR folks or hire PR firms to promote themselves to the likes of us readers online.

These people are financing their cruising through doing a little work along the way (such as writing logs, taking photos and updating websites).

I'm curious... how many of us on this board are "accepting donations" right now?

I'm looking at this with less and less of a skeptical eye, since I sit here unable to cruise and will never be able to do so, except through this new and very popular way of begging for your cruising kitty through a sob story or incredible feat of heroism.

Are any of the members here contemplating developing a story, getting PR and opening a crusing log with donations, regardless of current financial status?

It all strikes me as odd, but hey... who am I to judge? I'm just a poor guy sitting on a boat. I'm not a whiz at spinning a marketable story to the public in order to cash in on the donations and/or media/book money.

Is anyone out there planning on financing your cruising in this way, as so many others seem to be doing these days?

Just curious... and while skeptical, I'm not trying to judge anyone anymore. More power to them if they can sell that snake oil. I'm sure they'll get to cruise far and wide as I sit here working for a living.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 13:33   #2

Boat: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I'm quite against taking money from people when not in dire financial straits, as has been evidenced by my more than strong voicings on this site.

.................................................. .................................

Just curious... and while skeptical, I'm not trying to judge anyone anymore. More power to them if they can sell that snake oil. I'm sure they'll get to cruise far and wide as I sit here working for a living.
Jealousy,

Do you think your going to get much response to that?
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 13:42   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilgeRat
Jealousy,

Do you think your going to get much response to that?
Ouch!

I suspect that whilst many do have an online presence this is mainly for freinds and family as well as being a diary.........if I was doing one I would probably also put a donate button on ........but I would not plan my finances around the donations

Sponsorship and PR??, I think all the "good stuff" has been done, nowadays you have to be the first cross dressing lesbian Nun doing whatever in aid of today's fashionable charity and with a Celebrity / Nonentity endorsement to attract more than a few lines in the local rag........of course I could be wrong (known to have happened before )

But I am sure folk are financing their trips around the internet - just no one has told me how
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 14:59   #4
cruiser

Ha ha ha! I think you're right, David. Most of the things have been done already. Many of the donations have probably been given.

I have seen a number of cruisers that accept donations. It's a very interesting way to "make a living while cruising."

Bilge Rat: Yeah... I think I might get some responses. It's a good observation of the many cruisers out there now who develop sponsors, solicit donations, etc... and still have all the cash back home waiting when they return. It seems to be an ever more common way to increase one's kitty in order to cruise on other people's dimes.

Me... I'm not going crusing. I live on a 45' boat with a fantastic wife. Couldn't be happier with my lifestyle, though we have tried to figure out ways to finance cruising - unsuccessfully. These others have successfully tugged at many heartstrings and financed their cruising. As I said above... it's an interesting way to earn a living while cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Ouch!

I suspect that whilst many do have an online presence this is mainly for freinds and family as well as being a diary.........if I was doing one I would probably also put a donate button on ........but I would not plan my finances around the donations

Sponsorship and PR??, I think all the "good stuff" has been done, nowadays you have to be the first cross dressing lesbian Nun doing whatever in aid of today's fashionable charity and with a Celebrity / Nonentity endorsement to attract more than a few lines in the local rag........of course I could be wrong (known to have happened before )

But I am sure folk are financing their trips around the internet - just no one has told me how
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 15:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have seen a number of cruisers that accept donations. It's a very interesting way to "make a living while cruising."
Being willing to accept donations does not translate into getting donations. I've always been willing to accept donations for anything. I am flexible after all. Saying I don't get enough to feed myself would be exaggerating. Without a scam or a service there is only the dream.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 15:31   #6

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Sean - I don't think this avenue of raising some cash is closed to you - look at it this way - here you and your mate are - not much money, rebuilt at least one boat and you're now looking to do it again and all the while you have little income coming in - WAKE UP MAN! - you have a ton of boating and boat living experience that most sailors and cruisers won't have. I think you could set up a very interesteing website and post your real life stories and each week give an update on how your journey to go cruising full time is coming along on the website along with Seans Tips on boat repairs or outfitting or seamanship and you will attract regular readers who would make a contribution to your cruising endeavours.

It's not charity, you are giving them something they need or want - information and sailing life stories. Hell you could have your wife do a weekly article for the ladies as well - the cruising live from a wifes view who has gone through alot to get there. With the right amount of personal emotion and dreams sprinkled in (we all know you are capable of that ) it will keep your stories interesting and enjoyable.

Why don't you give it some thought - it's better than being depressed about your situation and you might just raise some real cash to help you finance your future.

Regards, Randy
Old 19-04-2007, 15:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Course ya got to throw in some "near" disaster stories, a little "poor me" stuff and that other good stuff that Benny talks about. Yeah, some "what I learned from that" stuff. Hey, call yourseves "Marine Consultants".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 17:48   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sean

There are quite a few ways to use the web to make money without depending on donations.

My wife retires in 6 days with a nice pension, she planned much better than I did. But, I have converted my work so my office is a computer and a cell phone, at home or on the boat.

While I can't venture too far from the wireless network I am able to live on the boat and still earn an income. That is actually quite a bit of freedom in my book.

Personally, I believe you have better skills than I to do much the same type job, I've seen some of your work.

Which leaves me with the question.... why are you not sailing up and down the East coast with the seasons and making money?

Cheers
www.kloosh.com
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 18:56   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Sean

I would like to know how much money people really get in donations from their web sites. I'll bet not very much. That's one of the problems with the web. It's free, and web culture isn't oriented toward paying for what you find when you surf the web.

You would need to have a web site that gets millions of hits a month for a sponsor to be interested in your site or advertising that generates any significant revenue.

I have six web sites and have spent thousands of hours working on those sites. It's a great hobby, and it's a good way to share with other members of the cruising community, but it's not a way to make money. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't believe anyone would pay a cent to read anything that I have put on the web. It's nice when people give you compliments. In fact, compliments are the coin of the realm when you have a cruising web site.

I have written five unpublished books. Printing a 200 page book costs about $7,500 out of your own pocket if you self publish, and printing a book doesn't even get your foot in the front door. You then have to spend money promoting it, or the book goes nowhere. There are over 60,000 new book titles published each year in the USA, and bookstores carry about 100,000 titles, and your chance of getting a book into a bookstore is close to zero.

I talked to cruising authors at boat shows, and every single author told me that their books sales at the boat shows did not even cover their boat show expenses. Most of them make only a dollar or two if they are lucky when they sell a book.

Web sites, books, and blogs aren't making anyone rich that I know personally. And I can't imagine that anyone could support themselves living off an income stream from books unless they are Lin and Larry Pardey - and they cruise on a thirty foot boat without a head.

I believe that everyone should invest in themselves by becoming the best person they can be in their own profession. People of excellence are in demand everywhere around the world. In fact, it's hard to find people who are committed to excellence in the workplace. People committed to excellence standout like the light from a lighthouse in the middle of the night.

When we did our circumnavigation, we met lots of people sailing around the world, working as they went. Some people cruised six months, and then returned to the states to work for six months during hurricane season. US citizens freqently made their first work stop in American Samoa which is a US territory, and they could legally work in Samoa. Nurses and teachers are in great demand all around the world, and many of our friends worked in education and healtcare in Australia and New Zealand. Overall, I would say that most cruisers who sailed on a shoestring ended up periodically flying back to the USA to top up their cruising kitty.

The USA is the most expensive cruising destination that I had in my entire circumnavigation. If I wanted to go cruising and still needed to generate income, I would be down in the Caribbean working in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands on my sailboat. I would be a charter boat captain or even charter my own yacht. There are lots of ways to generate real income while sailing the seven seas.

But making money off websites and donations - that's a passport to poverty in my experience.

Cheers,
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 19:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I'm not trying to judge anyone anymore. More power to them if they can sell that snake oil.
Calling it "snake oil" sounds pretty judgemental. I haven't seen any website that gave me the impression that the people cruising were funding it through donations. I don't think you would get far relying on that.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 19:28   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout
I would like to know how much money people really get in donations from their web sites.
$4,108.32 is one datum point

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pages/Main%...Tip%20Jar.html
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 19:44   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I'm curious... how many of us on this board are "accepting donations" right now? "

I've neither solicited donations nor had any magically appear, so I'm not in the process of "accepting" any. Nevertheless...if anyone feels compelled to make one, who am I to stop them?<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 21:26   #13

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
Talking That will be how much????

Boy, I must be totally out of it, or the cheapest SOB in the universe. I can't for the life of me understand why I would want to contribute my funds to support someone else's chosen lifestyle. I'm all for charity, and if someone is down on their luck, or has had a midfortune (like burning their boat to the waterline because they crossed the wrong wires, no, I'm not talking about you wheels), I'm all for sharing and giving them a hand back up. BUT, why would I want to pay someone to tell me about something they are doing if that generosity keeps me from doing what I want to do, which in this case is the same thing. If I go to the gym, and ask a trainer to coach or help me with my workout, I should pay him/her. But if I'm at the gym, staring at the bench press, and some muscle bound narcissist comes over, pumps some iron and tells me about it, I'm not going to contribute to his gym dues....Am I making sense here???

Like Hellosailor, I've never solicited donations or asked for charity, however, if any of you out there feel a compulsion to help me in my quest for adventure and the cruising lifestyle, feel free to send any donations my way. I'll offer you all the worthless, but free advice, I can come up with, and I'll even offer to grovel a bit, and tell you a few sad stories if it will help.

I am reminded of the guy who put an ad in several magazines, asking folks to send him ONE (1) dollar, on the premise that he was doing an experiment on people's tendancy toward generosity. If I remember right he collected close to $40,000. Guess PT Barnum was right, so, if all you wonderful folks out there will send just ONE dollar, I'll be around 6,000 closer to pulling anchor.

I'm gonna take my tongue out of my cheek now, it's making it hard to swallow my beer.

RichT
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 00:54   #14

Boat: Trawler
This is starting to remind me of the flying pig thread.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 06:17   #15

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Ya - sorry I responded - just trying to help Sean with his plans.