Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2007, 23:59   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
ICA Rally of around NZ

I just meet some wonderful people that are circumnavigating NZ as part of the ICA rally. We had Fantastic weekend and I really envy them all. I am now very excited about planning to join up for a trip next year or the one after.
I have told several about here and hopefully in a few months when they finish, we will see some arrive here. I hope they do as I look forward to hearing their stories and keeping in touch with future events. Many were here from Australia and I think I heard some are from the US as well, but maybe wrong. I will post a photo in the gallery of three boats in the bay.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 18:48   #2

Boat: Holland 10.5 metre "Xaviera"
They were here in Napier also Alan ... added a bit of extra colour to our marina.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 19:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes they said they came from up that way. They are all heading to Nelson and then on down the coast to Fiordland. That made me very enviouse on one hand, but on the other, glad I ain't doing it with the weather cycles we have been getting. I warned the Ozy crews it's a long way with no where to go for shelter and some nasty weather fronts when they cycle in like they are at the mo.

Old 30-01-2007, 00:56   #4

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Nelson will be ok but count me out on the Fiordland part. Get another of those regular storms and urrrrrggggggg
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 06:26   #5

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
Nelson will be ok but count me out on the Fiordland part. Get another of those regular storms and urrrrrggggggg
Took a harbour cruise whle in Auckland a year or so back and I asked the skipper if anybody did cruises (for tourists) around NZ.

"No," came the reply, mainly because the west coast is treacherous. "We ARE in the roaring 40s, after all."

Thinking back on our drive down the west cost of the south island (as far as the glaciers), I'd have to say there weren't a lot of great, snug little harbours. Beautiful shoreline, though, as long as you were on dry land.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 10:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually there are several doing Fiordland trips. One is Affinity Cruisers, used to be Havelock based, but I believe he is in Wellington now.
The other, breaksea girl, works out of Fiordland and will cruise down in the lower Islands of NZ as well. Keen lad in my opinion.
Pete Wedderel is more familiar with the operators down there than I and may know of several others.

The big issue with the South Islands West coast is there is a whle lot of nowhere to go. From the time you leave Nelson, I would estimate at a ruff geuss, there would be 800 miles of very uncomfortable seaway with only three harbours the entire distance. These three harbours are on extremely dangerouse River bars and should not be attempted in ruff weather. So when it gets ruff, you have no where to seek shelter. And speaking of ruff, the sea is reletivly shallow compare to the East coast, the weather arrives onto the coast in shuch away as to produce a short steep close swell that has breaking crests and it is a lee shore coast. So you need to keep well off the coast and it is just plain uncomfortable. If you are ever going to suffer from seasickness, it will be here.
If you want to see one of these river crossings, go to my photo's in the gallery and look for a fishing boat crossing the bar.

Old 30-01-2007, 15:40   #7

Boat: 1982 Dubois 42ft Alloy ex 2 Tonner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Actually there are several doing Fiordland trips. One is Affinity Cruisers, used to be Havelock based, but I believe he is in Wellington now.
The other, breaksea girl, works out of Fiordland and will cruise down in the lower Islands of NZ as well. Keen lad in my opinion.
Pete Wedderel is more familiar with the operators down there than I and may know of several others.

The big issue with the South Islands West coast is there is a whle lot of nowhere to go. From the time you leave Nelson, I would estimate at a ruff geuss, there would be 800 miles of very uncomfortable seaway with only three harbours the entire distance. These three harbours are on extremely dangerouse River bars and should not be attempted in ruff weather. So when it gets ruff, you have no where to seek shelter. And speaking of ruff, the sea is reletivly shallow compare to the East coast, the weather arrives onto the coast in shuch away as to produce a short steep close swell that has breaking crests and it is a lee shore coast. So you need to keep well off the coast and it is just plain uncomfortable. If you are ever going to suffer from seasickness, it will be here.
If you want to see one of these river crossings, go to my photo's in the gallery and look for a fishing boat crossing the bar.
I just did a quick measure on Google Earth and the trip from Nelson to Milford Sound via farewell spit is approx 400 miles. So you're looking at 2-3 days to sail there. The metservice is pretty accurate on forcasting to 3 days so its not as bigger challenge as you might think. If you left on the front side of a passing high pressure system it'd could be a great ride down that coast. Potter around in the sounds for a few weeks then head to Stewart Island......crikey.....now we're talking!

Jeez this working for a living is really getting in the way of my life.

Anybody know where I can find a sugar mama? Preferable with daughters?
Seaquesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 18:01   #8

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
The metservice is pretty accurate on forcasting to 3 days
Not the metservice site that I look at four times a day. Maybe for the Hauraki Gulf but the Cook Strait no way. Print off their forecast for three days out and then check it in three days time. Looks completely different.
We watched a 10knot Southerly forecast for three days recently. When it came we had a gale Northerly in the strait.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 20:00   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Metservice is so far out, I don't bother with it.
I need to take a look at the chart too. I might learn something. But I would have thought it at least 100Nm from Nelson to the spit. The top of the spit is level with a 1/3rd of the way up the North Island. So you must travel 150-200Nm just to get back level with Nelson I would have thought. Hmmm, I better go do some plotting.

Old 30-01-2007, 20:58   #10
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Wrong time of year for Fiordland, the middle of winter is best for wind conditions but unfortunately the sun doesn't last long. I've had many a bollocking in the summer time but funnily enough have never rounded Puysegar (9 times) in more than 15 knots of wind. I'm not aware of any sailing cruises available down there but there are a few power boats chartering there.
Any predictions for NorthIsland East Coast from Saturday morning onwards? We're out of here, heading for Auckland and it doesn't look too bad so far.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 21:49   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 30-01-2007, 21:55   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry for the way that layed out. I can't seem to change it.
Anyways, it looks like light airs and a mixed bag Pete. Probably enough to be frustrating. Watch the peninsula north of Gisborne. The tide can make it uncomfortable around that if the wind does come up.

Old 30-01-2007, 22:04   #13
cruiser

Bit of a mixed bag. I might have to dust the cobwebs off the spinnaker and have it ready to go. I've been hammered in a 130 metre cargo ship at East Cape but at least we're small enough to sneak inside. Shouldn't be too frustrating with the new 180 litre fuel tank I made, just a bit noisier.
Old 30-01-2007, 23:09   #14

I cruised with the ICA a few years back - it's good if you are a newbie but wouldn't worry about it now. Do your own thing. The old 'herd' mentality is well and live amounst the cruisers at ICA. The West Coast of the South Island can certainly throw up some bad weather but pick a window and go and you will be in Nelson in no time!! Remember, once around the spit it's generally good sailing to Nelson. The ICA is good for oldies and newbies but that's about it.

I think their is a real market for setting up a cruising rally for young people - ie. people under 50. I know of lot's of yachts who fancy a young and fresh approach to rallies.

Hey Pwederell - when do you get to Auckland?
Old 30-01-2007, 23:57   #15
cruiser

Hi Tim, I've got C 16 booked from the 8th so anytime around then. What coins do I need for the showers, I'll be pretty smelly by then.