Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:08   #1

An ideal, drop anchor along coast and metal detect

My plan is to sail along the coast, drop anchor when I see a beach with lots of people, I will stay a mile or two off shore. when afternoon arrives I will move closer to shore, then take my dingy and metal detector to the beach and work the beach for gold.
Is the logical?
wayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:49   #2

Your last sentence isn't.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12   #3
cruiser

Hey Wayland... I have a White's Surfmaster PI PRO that is about a month old (it is an underwater/beach metal detector suitable even for diving). It's still on the original batteries. I just haven't found enough time to use it. It's still on the original batteries from the factory and smells like new plastic.

I paid $700+ for it. If you'd like to make an offer, PM me. It works well, but I just don't have the time.

And yes... your idea is very good. I was doing this myself and it works.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Hey Wayland... I have a White's Surfmaster PI PRO that is about a month old (it is an underwater/beach metal detector suitable even for diving). It's still on the original batteries. I just haven't found enough time to use it. It's still on the original batteries from the factory and smells like new plastic.

I paid $700+ for it. If you'd like to make an offer, PM me. It works well, but I just don't have the time.

And yes... your idea is very good. I was doing this myself and it works.
I will be using a Tiger Shark by Tesoro. I know the White's Surfmaster Pi Pro is a good unit but I have 3 now. Suggest you place it on ebay.
Old 05-11-2006, 17:17   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
It would get you arrested in Florida. Mel Fisher Inc owns all treasure rights in the state up to the high water mark. Interesting story of how this came to pass.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 17:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
It would get you arrested in Florida. Mel Fisher Inc owns all treasure rights in the state up to the high water mark. Interesting story of how this came to pass.

Rick in Florida
I live in the USA and sometimes think there are to many laws made. Some stupid laws are made to be broken. Might see you in court! Wayland
Old 05-11-2006, 18:20   #7
cruiser

See me in court? Whatever for? I didn't make the law, I just was letting you know that there is a law against this here.

Rick in Florida
Old 05-11-2006, 19:04   #8

Quote:
See me in court? Whatever for? I didn't make the law, I just was letting you know that there is a law against this here.

Rick in Florida
Sorry Rick, I didn't mean anything about seeing you in court other than if we are both caught metal detecting somewhere that a law has been made against it and we don't know till to late we might be in the same court.
I thank you for letting me know about this law, I need to research more.
There's a lot of beaches around the world, I just need to find some friendly to metal detecting.
Thanks, Wayland
Old 06-11-2006, 01:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Rick in Florida
The Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Society and Museum has treasure hunting leases on the Spanish treasure fleets of 1715 & 1733, both of which sank off the Atlantic Coast of mainland Florida. - within 12 specific sites located in the Atlantic Ocean (Brevard, Indian River, & St. Lucie Counties - generally between the Sebastian & Ft. Pierce Inlets)).

The Spanish galleon Nuestra Senora de Atocha with a cargo of gold and other valuable sank in a hurricane in 1622 off the coast of Florida. In 1972, the wreck was located. Gold, silver, artifacts and armament valued at $6 million were recovered. U.S. courts upheld the finders' ownership and possession against the claim of the United States
Treasure Salvors, Inc. v. The Florida Department of State
http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/sup...ureSalvors.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:11   #10
cruiser

Gord,

More recent finds have been in Melbourne Beach, Brevard County. Either wave action has moved the wrecks north or gold and silver litters the seabed and is churned up in each passing storm.

Rick -- in Brevard County -- Florida
Old 06-11-2006, 06:17   #11
cruiser

As an aside, I think you missed a couple of wreck areas. Mel becam famous for salvaging the shipwreck Atocha. This wreck site is in the Florida Keys and they are still diving on this one.

If anyone ever finds themselves near Sebastian, FL. The Mel Fisher museum there is worth a visit. The company has a larger one in Key West, FL. In either building you have the opportunity to see what they've brought up from the wrecks. It's simply astounding to see the amount of gold the Spanish were taking out of the Americas.

Rick in Florida

Rick in Florida
Old 06-11-2006, 07:26   #12

Quote:
As an aside, I think you missed a couple of wreck areas. Mel becam famous for salvaging the shipwreck Atocha. This wreck site is in the Florida Keys and they are still diving on this one.

If anyone ever finds themselves near Sebastian, FL. The Mel Fisher museum there is worth a visit. The company has a larger one in Key West, FL. In either building you have the opportunity to see what they've brought up from the wrecks. It's simply astounding to see the amount of gold the Spanish were taking out of the Americas.

Rick in Florida

Rick in Florida
My sailboat is setting docked at Fort Pierce, FL, I will be there in a couple of weeks. The Mel Fisher museum sound interesting. The Fishers have put a lifetime in treasure searching, I'm happy they done well. It shows us what we can do if we try.
Wayland
Old 06-11-2006, 07:37   #13
cruiser

They are always looking for additional divers.

Rick in Florida
Old 06-11-2006, 08:30   #14
cruiser

Interesting thread. I will probably end up keeping the PI PRO anyway. However, Rick is quite right about the restrictions in FL. You will have your detector taken away if you are caught in any area already claimed by someone like Mel Fisher. There is no "day in court." You just lose your equipment and get fined heavily. I think they can even come after your boat as well, but I'm not 100% sure - and the areas are heavily patrolled for people breaking the law.

Also, you are required by law to file salvage rights and split your finds with the good folks at the FL treasury. They will take the items as you find them, sell them or place them in museums, take their cut and then give you your cut. All in all... a pretty restricted area for treasure hunting, just like it is for anchoring.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:47   #15

On any give day between Cocoa Beach and Vero Beach you will see people all along the shore treasure hunting with their detectors. It's actually rare not to see them if you spend the day there. Nobody appears to be getting approached by the police for doing it. I wouldn't worry too much about being arrested unless you are sitting on a specific wreck site.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor