Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 07:21   #1

Lagoon 620 as a Bluewater Cruiser for Circumnavigation ?

When I choose a title this long, it seems redundant to add a message below. Anyways, anyone have any idea for Lagoon 620's and their bluewater ability? I know I've asked so much comments these days but trying to decide...

Best Regards;
Mehmet CAN
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:03   #2

The two biggest issues to add to consideration are:

1) Do the significantly higher moorage fees and reduced availability matter to you?

2) Would you be comfortable with the expense of a lengthy tow if it were necessary to haul out in an area without a travel lift wide enough to handle your vessel?

Other than that, I'd say it would be cruising in style (assuming you're certain to have adequate crew).
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15   #3

Location: Aboard, 8 years. Usually E.Coast of USA but right now we're in Havre de Grace, Maryland on C'peake Bay
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch, s/v Norne Gaest
Hi,
I have put thousands of miles on a Lagoon 43 power cat. I have moved it from C'peake Bay to Florida and back for the owner numerous times. There were LOTS of issues with the electrics (both 12v and 120v). Only one resulted in a minor boat fire (if the fire doesn't go out it becomes a major boat fire). The hulls 'work' a lot so doors won't stay shut and drawers won't open. Many of the overhead panels came loose (the screws stripped). One of the engines (Volvo KMD300s) eats the serpentine belt about every 100 hours or so. The 'stainless' rusts. The bilge pumps are ridiculously undersize and clog constantly with 'builder's debris' even after 4 years of operation. Chunks of f'glas & gelcoat 'pop' off the hulls on occasion.
The owner has been trying to sell this boat for 2 years but, no takers.
I deliver many yachts and there are much better boats out there than what Lagoon makes. But, that's just my opinion.
marineruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:32   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Need crew ?

;-))))
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:37   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Need crew ?

;-))))
b.
+2. But you better get the five-cabin version, because Barnie and I will each want private cabins.
Old 04-10-2010, 13:27   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Lagoon catamaran experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineruscg View Post
Hi,
I have put thousands of miles on a Lagoon 43 power cat. I have moved it from C'peake Bay to Florida and back for the owner numerous times. There were LOTS of issues with the electrics (both 12v and 120v). Only one resulted in a minor boat fire (if the fire doesn't go out it becomes a major boat fire). The hulls 'work' a lot so doors won't stay shut and drawers won't open. Many of the overhead panels came loose (the screws stripped). One of the engines (Volvo KMD300s) eats the serpentine belt about every 100 hours or so. The 'stainless' rusts. The bilge pumps are ridiculously undersize and clog constantly with 'builder's debris' even after 4 years of operation. Chunks of f'glas & gelcoat 'pop' off the hulls on occasion.
The owner has been trying to sell this boat for 2 years but, no takers.
I deliver many yachts and there are much better boats out there than what Lagoon makes. But, that's just my opinion.
I've owned two Lagoon catamarans, both paid for with my own money, not borrowed boats from an owner. I'vee also owned two Beneteau yachts which are obviously made by the same manufacturer. And none of us can be sure that my experiences are typical but............

The Lagoon product is not beyond criticism and I have suffered from some issues. But frankly they have been minor. Small trim issues, some malfunctioning kit (fitted but not manufactured by Lagoon), and some poor finishing on areas such as caulking of teak cockpit. All my problems have been sorted out under warranty by my dealer, Ancasta, in the UK.

Though it hurts, I have to accept that I have bought a product that is aimed at the more price-sensitive end of the market. And so, I can't expect Mercedes quality for Ford pricing. But, like most motorists find these days, Ford quality has improved, and for most of us it's just fine. Well, Lagoon's the same. Great value for money, and does exactly what it says on the tin.

If you are suggesting that there are better quality products on the market for much more money, then it's clear that this is true. If you are asking if there is better value for money at anywhere near the price, then I think not.

As for the 620, then it's just a huge vessel. And as a RTW yacht, it would be fantastic. But who has the cash to pay for it, and the budget to run it, and the money to park it somewhere nice? If you do, then take good look at the boat. There may be better built yachts available, but anywhere near the price? No chance.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:06   #7

Dear Garold;

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience as an owner. At this point, I must ask, what would you offer as a 60-70 foot RTW cat alternate for rock solid reliability and comfort?

Best Regards;
Mehmet
Old 04-10-2010, 15:40   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Your question cracks me up. Your asking about a boat that absolutely needs 3 people to operate. It's brand new. It's a couple million dollars to purchase. Any you want to know what people seriously think?

Maybe Mehmet can buy it, maybe not. But really - if you can, ask your assistant to schedule your jet to fly you to La Rochelle so you can personally check it out.
Old 04-10-2010, 15:58   #9

You can guess there's difference between seeing in marina and long term usage, right?
Old 04-10-2010, 16:02   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Dear Garold;

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience as an owner. At this point, I must ask, what would you offer as a 60-70 foot RTW cat alternate for rock solid reliability and comfort?

Best Regards;
Mehmet

The Lagoon 44

Go look at it.

Its the largest cat I have seen doing the RTW stuff. The others are in Charter or some high performance cats.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:24   #11

Thanks a lot Mark.

Regards,
M.
Old 04-10-2010, 17:14   #12

Well lets see.

Not sure of your sailing background, so apology if I offend.

The main is about 1500 sq ft, the headboard is 12 foot off the top deck, the main probably weighs 450#s. Could be very tough to handle.
The engines are twin 110 hp so you will burn 4.2 gal per hour.
The platform is big for docking.

And a big one got away from a crew recently.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25   #13

Yes, the height of the boom concerns me as well. Fountaine Pajot's seem great as well, but never sailed them...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:40   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Mehmet

Not sure if this is a wind up or not because most people who look at such a large invesment (if that word can be used in the same sentence as 'yacht') have built up over a number of years and often through several brands.

My opinion does not extend very far at this level. I have been on the 620 twice now and was impressed both times. The quality of finish is definitely better than the rest of the Lagoon range and the space is incredible. However, it looks to me like a small crew of maybe at least 3 people would be necessary all the time. The sail handling is all on motorised winches and so much of the strain is easily taken. However, in a rough sea, when lines get snagged or equipment fails, I'm not sure how one person on the fore/bridge deck would manage.

Other brands? I did view a Privilege 745 earlier this year. The finish was more motor-boat quality and it was very impressive (even had bath). Whatsmore, the salesman told me that his colleague moved it onto the berth on his own! (bowthrusters?). But I believe that the price is very different from the Lagoon.

Other brands? No idea at this level really. However, we have sailed on a smaller Fontaine Pajot. And we chose the Lagoon. The FPs are a bit more sporty in set up and frankly didn't suit me. But it may suit you.

Sounds like you will have to spend some money on short charter breaks to try them out. As for private jets mentioned by someone earlier..... I believe that they are significantly more expensive to run than yachts, so probably the next step up the ladder!

Just by the by, there are couple of newer Lagoon models (450 & 560) coming out that may be of interest. Go to the website. Same style, similar features, bit easier to handle, and surely still big enough unless you have ten kids. And cheaper too. Remember, new models always hold the most value for the longest (this may not be an issue for you but is for me certainly).

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16   #15

Dear Garold;

First and foremost, thank you very much for your insight and kind reply. The idea of broken down equipment always scares me, not only on a big boat either.

I'm planning to do the trip on trades and this makes me lean towards a cat instead of a monohull. And I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to need to reef much earlier than a monohull which kinda liberates me from the concerns of a big size. In addition, I'm also not planning to spend much time in the marinas, so docking would not be a great issue as well.

For the L560 (and L500 for that matter), I'm very excited too and it'll probably much more user-friendly than the 620 anyway.

Last but not least -for the private jet remark-, I'm an aircraft broker and if it were a question of choosing the right jet, trust me I know the answer. I don't own a jet and I'm not planning (or able to) buy one in the near future as well. Thanks for the stereotype of "if he wants something bigger than 35 feet, he must be a jerk"!!!

Fair winds to all...
Mehmet

Tags
circumnavigation, cruiser, lagoon