Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2006, 18:59   #1

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Numbers

When I read that there is a 10% unemployment rate, and I figure I need money to go sailing, I chose to join the 90% who are working. When they say 20 or 30 or 40% of the population will die, I would remind them that 100% of the population will die, the date is the only unknown factor. Actually we have a pretty good idea of the date. But if they say that 20% will die this year, then I will chose to join the 80% living. The chance of a disability taking you off the job, is the most likely nasty event to happen during your working career. Does everyone lay awake at night worrying about this?
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 19:07   #2

Nope!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 19:23   #3
cruiser

Na.... I was a casualty of the economy some time back - GenXers were pretty hard hit from many angles:

(see the book titled "Strapped" on Amazon for an account)

I don't worry about these things anymore, 'cuz I don't work at a "job." And never will again.

As for dying... not worried either. Could die while I'm typing this... could die when I'm 100. Either way, I know I have lived life without ever having to look back and say, "I wish I tried... xxxxxx"
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 19:30   #4
cruiser

Oh boy... a rant... damn! Sorry!

Also... divided and frightened people are easier to rule. In the States, that's how they get the population to take all of the bad deals they have been dealt lately.

Fear of terrorism = bye bye civil liberties
Fear of government = civil obedience
Fear of economic probs = will take a job at Wal-Mart and not complain that it takes you the better part of an hour to earn a gallon of milk and you have no health care
Fear of Bird Flu = ??? I'm waiting to see what that does. Less civil liberties, I'm sure

Don't listen to the news. It's only there for ratings, shock value and as a tool to keep you frightened. Distill out the real stuff from the sensationalist propaganda. The sooner you kill your TV the better. We have been without one for almost a year now, and it's almost indescribable. It really gets you on the level of that one Jimmy Buffet song where he's talking to Mr. Scott from Star Trek and says:

"You pick the century and I'll pick the spot."
Old 14-03-2006, 19:35   #5

Hey Sean.

I guess I better shoot my TV huh?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 14-03-2006, 19:41   #6
cruiser

Quote:
CaptainK once whispered in the wind:
Hey Sean.

I guess I better shoot my TV huh?

Hell yeah!

Na... save it for watching DVDs. That's all we do with ours. DVDs and the occasional video game.

Would you believe that other than internet banners, I haven't been exposed to an ad in almost a year?? We usually listen to NPR or other stations without commercials on the radio, have MP3s, DVDs of our favorite shows (Seinfelds, Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, etc...). So we have no exposure to ads. That clears out the brain like you wouldn't believe. Stress melts away.

Oh yeah... and we have a membership to the library where we are docked right now, so a lot of books.
Old 14-03-2006, 19:46   #7

Love The Simpsons, and Family Guy!! Funny!!

Actually I get my news onff the internet. I don't watch TV news hardly anymore!!

I haven't read much books lately. Burnt out on reading!!

Old 14-03-2006, 20:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I figured, if the world blows up, someone will tell me

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 21:04   #9

Oi Alan.

Old 15-03-2006, 01:15   #10

"the chance of a disability taking you off the job,is the most likely nasty event to

BC Mike C,Ya join the 90% working,Ya choose the 80% living,Ya part of the 100% dieing,A disability taking you off the lob is not the most nasty event to happen to you during your career,"Its beeing part of the 100% dieing that you should be worried about!!""Mike ,whatever ya do dont go to sleep!!. 16% of people die in their sleep!!So I guess ya should really join the 84% of people that lay awake at night,or join the 70% of people that dont read that silly **** to start with."At least ya wont die tired.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 06:35   #11

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Re: TV - also XM Satellite Radio gets you commercial-free music channels. Well worth it for me just so I don't have to listen to someone scream at me to buy a car...

Ever notice how the news channels all regurgitate the same stories as the newspapers? Change channels and get the same exact stories - the wonderful benefits of media consolidation... rant rant rant... Sorry Sean - this was Your rant...

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with XM, just enjoy commercial-free music!

Old 15-03-2006, 07:05   #12
cruiser

Good point about XM! I haven't made the plunge (I try and avoid anything with montly charges). But I would love to have it.
Old 15-03-2006, 11:32   #13

Sirius & XM satelite radio.

They have commericial free channels. And they do provide a great range of variety of music genre's.

On Sirius I always hang around between channels "The Vault and Hair Nation!!"

I hate the way radio or even TV has flooded their channels with useless commericals. Ever noticed how the volume of regular programming changes once they go to commericial. Then the volume tends to get blasted. Almost blowing yer ears off once the commericial starts?

Old 15-03-2006, 13:14   #14

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Michael - Sometimes ! The next day I make sure I am doing what I can to avoid being a statistic. There is usually a specific issue that is causing the stress. These concerns go with owning your own business. Setting off on an unknown journey is much the same. The concerns are valid. How you respond to and manage the risk can improve your chances. Much more interesting than just showing up at Wal-Mart for another day of secure hell.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 14:30   #15
cruiser

Larry is right!

This is my 2nd business (and much more simple one that doing mangement consulting and custom software/database development in NYC).

After many dizzying highs and terrifying lows owning your own business, you start to get into a zone where you just don't care. I find that's when I do best.

We are trying to maintain that attitude for the charter business. It seems to be working, since we have the month of May sold out already without even trying. There is no fear, and just a little rush from the good things.

PS: Larry - check out my post in the Marine Charting Software section of the forum. I did a screen shot of MacENC. Thought you might be interested since it runs on OSX.