Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 16:10   #1

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
pirate Cruising the Pacific as a Chef?

I am a capable qualified chef who did his Apprenticeship in a true old school institution. I now has a Business/Law Degree from a respectable Australian university with some experience in maritime law.

At the moment I have not too many commitments and almost enough money to buy a boat offshore (maybe Mexico) and slowly meander back west across the Pacific.

So are there any other Chefs out there who support their cruising adventures working their way across the Pacific. More importantly, when money is tight is it possible to find work (of any sort). Are there any problems with visas etc or are some places easy going?

(I note I would prefer minimal pay in a relaxed atmosphere to high pressure for bucks )

Thanks, Shane
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 16:21   #2
cruiser

My sense, especially if you have some dynamite specialties, you could find work in touristy locations and enjoy the non-touristy experience on your off hours. Anytime on any island I have visited if there is a new chef producing great meals people (tourists and locals alike) flock there for a new treat.
Look here
StX Restaurant Ratings
20,000+ posts devoted to finding good food on one small island.
My 2 cents is go for it!
Truth in advert disclosure: This opinion worth exactly what you paid.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 16:54   #3

Michael - thanks mate!
Old 10-11-2009, 17:36   #4
cruiser

Shane you might want to pick up a copy of "Financial Freedom Afloat" for more info on earning while you cruise. Someone will likely point out the problems with work permits and such. This certainly is a valid point and I would not suggest you get yourself locked up. However the book points out if you have a skill a local 'big man' wants problems can suddenly disappear under his protection. Given the turn over in the restaurant biz I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it true there. I attest first hand this might possibly kinda maybe to be true in some lines of work - at least sometimes - not that I personally would ever have any experience as an illegal alien worker.

Truth in advert disclosure: This opinion worth exactly what you paid.
Old 10-11-2009, 17:49   #5

Mikee,

Having a law degree I understand that there are rules and regulations that need to be observed. Saying this, I am nowhere near as rule anal as some of my compulsively bureaucratic contemporaries (Opps - did I just make a damaging admission?).

I also wouldn’t expect that establishment owners anywhere else in the world would be any more or less likely to offer under award cash in hand deals for labour than the so called entrepreneurs in my local area (wow – isn’t Australia supposed to be a developed nation?).

This kind of “exploitation’ is half the reason I got out of being a chef. Regardless, it might not be seen as the same if you where enjoying some island paradise in casual surrounds?

I will have to add the book suggestion to the priority register on my Amazon with list.
Old 10-11-2009, 18:04   #6

The first question I get asked for crewing is "are you a good cook?"
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:49   #7
cruiser

Shane life is what it is. Cash for service rendered? What's wrong with that? One mans exploitation is another man's freedom.

You said you wanted to have your own boat. However yacht chef is not a bad gig at all and you likely can save toward the boat if you want to consider it for a while. See new places and get paid for your service. Just search yacht chef. And you may well find "your" boat in some port of call

My son is 26 and at loose ends and I am encouraging him to expand his horizons. As a skilled welder I have steered him toward yacht work. Travel the world and get paid and perhaps find "his" boat. What a concept! Were I younger I would be looking for an engineer's job aboard a 120 footer - big enough to pay well but not so big to run you ragged.
Old 10-11-2009, 19:10   #8

Mikee

Although I now have a degree and professional qualifications under my belt I still regret leaving working as a chef on a day cruise boat – it was awesome fun and paid almost better than what I am sitting here pretending to do this very minute!
Old 10-11-2009, 20:07   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm thinking that perhaps those who own mega-yachts might be looking for an excellent chef.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 00:16   #10

David & All,

I must have had a rational moment and am hoping my purchase of a pocket offshore cruiser from up Queensland works out. I actually have a mate up that way I went to Tech Collage with who is a top chef and till recently even oversaw the running of a little restaurant on Stradbroke Island. If I get up that way I am sure he would provide me a half decent reference, which might be handy if there is work going and I decide to hang around and enjoy the summer.

All good experience to one day setting out on a longer voyage across the Pacific?

Tags
chef, money, Pacific Ocean