Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2009, 20:30   #1

Teaching and Import/Export

Anyone teach English as a second language? Or your other primary language? For myself, I thought that sending locally made products back to the states for resale may prove interesting. Perhaps an ocean-bound ebay store? Any thoughts?
Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 21:42   #2

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I've got over 10 years experience teaching ESL. I'm not doing it currently as the market is pretty lean with the economy the way it is.

It could be a possibility for limited income while you at anchor somewhere but it's never going to give you enough to save for the future.

There are parts of Mexico you could pull down about a thousand a month (if you're doing it full-time) and in Costa Rica you might be able to swing 600-700.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 19:02   #3

The ocean bound ebay sounds cool. Products that are novelty. Maybe even team up with a local business??
Old 01-07-2009, 19:05   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchaser View Post
Anyone teach English as a second language? Or your other primary language? For myself, I thought that sending locally made products back to the states for resale may prove interesting. Perhaps an ocean-bound ebay store? Any thoughts?
Sending locally made products back to the United States has already been done. It's called Walmart.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 19:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Sending locally made products back to the United States has already been done. It's called Walmart.
Ya, but i think its still a neat idea, last time i checked, you couldnt get one of a kind items from walmart.
Old 01-07-2009, 19:14   #6

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Although the availability of unique products would be interesting I am afraid you'll find (and anyone who has lived abroad outside of the military can probably attest to this) the shipping costs are atrocious!

Like really really really atrocious.

Plus often times it can take 2-3 months for a package to make the journey from wherever to wherever.

Assuming you could make the cost logistics work, you'd have to wait to market the products till a friend in the US could receive them, otherwise the likelihood of someone willingly waiting months on end for their rare antique hand crafted whatsamajigit is not very likely.

Now, turning one of your cabins into a store house of things like spices and goodies from back home that you could sell to other expats at a premium...now that might work.

I've seen a single serve bag of Prawn Cocktail Walkers (Lays) crisps go for $5 easy and they only run you 60 cents normally.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 20:22   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'
Not a problem, I have a 7 ton hold, do you want some frozen tysons chicken with that?
Old 01-07-2009, 20:54   #8

wouldn't you incur an import tax?
Old 01-07-2009, 22:38   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'
That depends on what you are importing and whom you are selling to. There are many places that have established "Free trade zones."

Tags
import