Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2005, 17:27   #1

Manna From Heaven?

I posted this in another area, but I should reside here.

"A sideline on this tax thing. Any US citizen that is living in the Pacific area should claim Guam as their residence and register to vote there.

Not only will you have no income taxes, but you will receive a rebate check from the IRS as your share of the military base rent credited to all Guamanians. I know this is legit as a friend of mine who is a retired GI living on Okinawa does this. He was originally from Maine, but he gets that check annually from Uncle Sugar. I haven't checked but I would guess that you could register to vote online as with any of our states."

I believe that the check came from the IRS, but it may have come from Guam.
Old 23-10-2005, 17:35   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Aye, more details, including dollar amounts would be very interesting and the information could certainly affect my future sailing plans....
Old 24-10-2005, 02:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
These tax advantages could be one of the criteria used in selecting an exotic home port.
OTH, it can be difficult to establish a counterfeit residence, and any such falsification would be criminal.

I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve had some experience in “proving residence” (both Canada & USA).
If your residence is ever questioned - you will generally have to provide, in addition to a mailing address, three additional “proofs” of residence, such as:
- Two Documents addressed to you at that address (Dock ”Lease” not ‘rental’ agreement, Tax or Utility Bills, etc)
- Driver’s Licence
- At least one “other” document (as simple as a library card)

FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 16:41   #4

I believe my friend got in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2000. This was in 1991. I believe that the transfer of your boat title and a voter registration card would provide all the documentation necessary. The territory of Guam, would simply mail the documents to what ever address you give them. They like all other governments get revenue from you for services. They get tons of US tax dollars based on population (schools, roads, educating all those military dependents). They are just kind in sharing some of the loot with you as one of their citizens
Old 24-10-2005, 18:34   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Wukong

Now you've done it! You let the cat out of the bag..........._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 19:16   #6
cruiser

Is there a JD/CPA in the house??

Good Lord... is this a cruising forum, or a forum on how to beat 3 card monte??

I know... let's talk about boats. ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 20:14   #7
Kai Nui

Those of us who invest money in boats, especially wood boats, already believe we can beat 3 card monty
I will say that any deal like this, or living off of state entitlements require's effort. Do not get me wrong, I am in favor of social programs, but I have seen what it takes to "make money" from such things. If you want that to be a full time job, go for it, but I would rather put away what I legitimately can, and go cruising. Not to say I would bury my cash in the back yard, but it is sort of like driving 10 extra miles to find a gas station that is a penny cheaper.People do make money on some of these schemes, but not me.
Old 24-10-2005, 20:19   #8

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Residence

The following is word for word from the book on estate planning.
" Domicile is a nebulous concept used by the courts in determining what jurisdiction governs /////// It is esential to determine the clients correct domicile "

Sometimes it is easy other times it is as the book suggests. Do not be driven by a single concept when making your plans. You may save a buck in one area and spend a buck elsewhere.
Would you buy the wrong boat because it was the right colour? They have a saying with Border Collies " the right dog is never the wrong colour "
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 20:32   #9
Kai Nui

Thanks Mike, I think we are on the same page.
Old 24-10-2005, 21:10   #10

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Same page

Agreed.

Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 15:51   #11

I believe the category of this area is "Making a living while cruising"

The transferal of residence is no more that what would be required from GA to FL. If you are cruising about the Pacific why not check it out. By the same token, if you are cruising from the high income tax areas of the North East down to the carrib, why not stop in FL and establish residence. FL has no state income taxes. If you want to pay the state and local income taxes in NY or Philadelphia, by all means be my guest. However stop complaining about penny pinching to cruise.

I kept my FL residency when I lived in PA for several reasons.

1. It saved me money.

2. Why give money to Damned Yankees.
Old 25-10-2005, 23:37   #12
Kai Nui

My issue is not with saving a buck, but I have found that it turns into a full time job. To go back to another post, the 3 card Monte guys do make a living, but it is not an easy job.
I submit to the idea that there are tax benefits to documenting a boat in a certain place, and if that was all it was, I agree, but when you start talking about drop box residency, you are playing with fire. Keeping track of mail and messeges while cruising can be enough of a challenge without having to worry about multiple locations. I suppose if you were to have a mail drop in Guam, and it was your primary address, setting up to handle all of your affairs in that location, it would make sense, but mail to relatives in Ca, boat documented in Delaware, residence listed in Guam. What a mess!
Old 26-10-2005, 08:10   #13

This mail thing is the most nonproblem of all things to deal with. During my last military assignment my address as listed on my FL Drivers License was a Box # at APO San Francisco 96274. There are many US Citizens that live in foreign countries with overseas addresses that have official documents from both federal, state and local governments delivered to them on a daily basis.

My most amusing moment with this DL was after being stopped by an idiot city cop in Philly. His comment was, "Whoa what is this a FL DL with a California address driving a car registered in TX?" We certainly don't yet live in a Soviet system where you have to get offical permission where you reside. One given fact in the US is that people move. All governments want revenue. They make it very easy and comfortable for you to live in FL and still pay your income taxes in PA, MA, CA or any other A.

If I was living aboard a boat like a gypsy, I could claim residency in any place my boat was at a period of time (in the US) and have my mail sent to my mom in TX. As long as you have a reasonable explaination, our system of government can handle it. It is a little unusual but not uncommon.

Old 26-10-2005, 21:51   #14
Kai Nui

Didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said it wasn't worth all the effort. At least to me. If it works for you kule!
Old 11-04-2006, 15:15   #15

I'm an attorney in the CNMI which is right north of Guam. We're "America" too. Well, there's a McDonalds but no taco bell, a 1st and 2nd Amendment, but white guys can't own land, so I'm not sure how "America" it really is.

In the CNMI, we do not pay federal income tax. I could be wrong, but I would guess they pay federal income tax in Guam, seeing as how it is a territory (the CNMI is a Commonwealth.) Not much difference, but big enough).
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote