Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 13:54   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Bahamas Diesel Pumps

Just bought diesel fuel from the Shell station in George Town Great Exuma, AKA Lambs Enterprises, and there pumps are off! You pay $4.85 per gal and on every 5 gal paid for you get 4.5 gal. They don't care as that works out good for them man! They are the only fuel around and you have to diny the fuel to your boat in cans. Food is high, over $7.00 for a small box of Ritz Crackers, etc. Thats the way it is, you know what it is and how much it cost. I also know what $4.85 USD is and what 5 gal is. Does the Bahamas use a different gal? I hope so, as the people are friendly. $300 USD to clear in has been the highest fees paid from Antigua to the Bahamas. I sure hope the pumps are right!
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bahamas Diesel Pumps

I’m here with you.
They had to fix the pump the other day, it was broken, maybe they messed up the calibration somehow.
I’m not real impressed with the average mechanical ability around here.

Although I’m astonished that the place that has the largest population of cruising boats that I have ever seen, that there are no real businesses and or infrastructure to support cruisers and or their boats, it’s weird.
The number of boats here have to be in the hundreds, seemingly most Canadian, and just talking to people, they stay for long times, months.

It seems that is the only gas station in Georgetown? Cause there is always a line of cars waiting for gas it seems
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Bahamas Diesel Pumps

I ran up to the Marina at Emerald Bay rather than screw with jerry cans. Decent facility, good fuel dock. It’s about a 15 mile run.

There were about 170 boats when we were there. Down from a couple of weeks before when the regatta was on. I talked to one lady who had been there 16 years, 6 months each year. It’s more like a gated retirement community for live aboards. But the water arobics was useful.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bahamas Diesel Pumps

Well they must have fixed the pumps because I just filled four 5 gl containers trying to fill them as close to the 5 gl mark as I could on the container.
Total for all four was 19.947 gls, close enough I’d say.
I heard today that there were about 300 boats here today, today is the last day of the Regatta I believe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas Diesel Pumps

The difference between the American and Imperial gallon is about 20 per cent.
The U.S. Gallon is 83.3 per cent of the Imperial gallon, or conversely, the Imperial gallon is about one-fifth or 20 per cent greater in volume than the American gallon.
1 US Gallon = 3.785 (3.7854118) Litres, whereas 1 Imperial Gallon = 4.546 (4.54609) Litres

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, diesel, local information, pump