Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 00:46   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Marlboro Man

No this isn’t a dig at Wheels!.....

Just wondering…….how do you deal with smokers who profess to be non smokers so as to come along on a cruise with you …. (that is part of your stated ground rules)…… and then you catch them smoking !....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marlboro-man--8516.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	4533   Click image for larger version

Name:	56534553_ISJEFFTHEMARLBOROMAN.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	4534  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:36   #2
cruiser

Ha! Good one!

I had a problem with a crew member on a delivery in this dept.

The boat was strictly non-smoking. After I found out the crew member would be in nicotine withdrawal, I had her smoke on the aft quarter by the boarding ladder.

As the delivery went on, she left ashes back there and didn't account for instances when the wind was coming from the stern. Smoke went into the salon.

Also, she snuck cigarettes up on the bow (out of sight of the helm) a couple times when I was on watch.

I found the piles of ash up there. I also didn't enjoy watching her throw the cigarettes in the water when she was done.

In the end, she was lousy crew anyway. Couldn't get up and take watch until after 10AM, grouchy, couldn't boil water in the galley, etc...

She was fired from the position.

However small, the smoking *did* play a small role in the total evaluation of her performance. It showed a level of dishonesty and disregard for rules.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:39   #3
jzk

Man there is nothing worse than a smoker on a boat.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:04   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I disagree - there are many things worse than having a smoker aboard (this includes axe-wielding bipolar disorder guests and finding out that you left all the liquor on the dock). If the rule is smoking is only allowed on deck at the most downwind part of the boat then I have no problem with smokers. It might suck for them if it is gusty, rainy and cold and you are on a run so they have to rig a harness and go to the bow but it is beats having to force addicted smokers to "sneak" a smoke where they shouldn't.
Zanshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:07   #5

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I don't smoke, but I also don't care.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08   #6
jzk

To each his own, of course. No doubt a smoker would not agree. However, the smoke always seems to make its way to wherever I am regardless of where the smoker positions themselves. The fresh Ocean air is one of the draws to sailing, and who needs to have it messed up by some fiend?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:11   #7

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
fiend?
It this about the movie "Reefer Madness", or about smoking cigarettes?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:26   #8
jzk

There are many things that I enjoy, but nothing that I can't go a few hours without. For the most part, smokers let the smoking control them. At least there is some articulable point to using reefer.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Wow...tough one for ones private boat. I have never had that problem on my workboat. People just don't smoke in general. One guy asked once and I said it was fine. Just smoke all the way aft...he understood why. Ironically he was a commercial diver.

As far as yachts go, I think the skipper needs to make it absolutely clear that smoking is not acceptable at the same time you set a date to bring a guest aboard. If the skipper does not make this absolutely clear at this time, then he or she only has himself to blame when somebody wants to light up who was not warned of the no smoking policy.

Clearly communicating your policy well beforehand is the key. This gives the smoker the choice of not coming aboard your boat at all if they do not feel they can abide by the rules.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:14   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Clearly communicating your policy well beforehand is the key. This gives the smoker the choice of not coming aboard your boat at all if they do not feel they can abide by the rules.
Doesn't bother me. Smoke like a Chimney But is a question I always would ask before coming on board, and if I couldn't smoke at least on the aftdeck / downwind then I would not come on board. To be honest on a boat I prefer to smoke outside anyway. Sad? Yeah But I figure life's too short* to always pander to other people's desires.

If you know your freind smokes and you invite them onboard and then say no smoking it won't be a great thing to add to freindship.

*it is for us smokers
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:28   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah. Pelagic, hard choices. Do you:

a) set them adrift in the life boat
b) Toss them overboard
c) Commit a Marpol infraction, require them to field strip & jettison the ciggies?
d) Douse them in starting ether, and invite the to smoke on the pushpit?
e) Make for first land and put them ashore?

It's trespass and assault, not to mention the lie, and any response less than ballistic would be kinder than they deserved. I don't take kindly to being conned or sandbagged.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:37   #12
CF Adviser

I have never smoked so I am not one of those reformed zealots. In public places or bars I don’t like it, but it doesn’t bother me and I respect other people’s rights.

But on my boat, I made the decision a long time ago that there would never be any smoking allowed (not even on deck). Apart from the dangers of fire and the mess of ash….this is my environment and I will control what I breathe.

I go to great pains to advise any guests that these are my hardcore rules before confirming any cruise and most who smoke, usually abide by it.

The odd person though will play a hiding game and it drives me crazy to the point now that I never even consider inviting a smoker along for a few days cruise.

Edit: Just read yours Hellosailor

f) Break wind right beside them..... after eating copious amounts of hard boiled eggs
Old 03-08-2008, 13:10   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

f) Break wind right beside them..... after eating copious amounts of hard boiled eggs
Nah....I cant say it!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 13:17   #14
CF Adviser

Set myself up for that one....didn't I david...(lol)
Old 04-08-2008, 13:58   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
It is tough. I know that many folks are seriously addicted and this is unfortunate. At the very least demand non filtered butts. I think filters have a half life aproaching that of plutonium.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote