Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2008, 01:16   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
question for ssullivan

In another thread your wrote:
This is VERY important. I am living proof that you can't just "go now" if you don't have vast savings and/or a paid for boat.

While we aren't worried about careers anymore (who needs one!), we certainly can't afford to hop around the world paying for everything while paying off a boat. It's just not possible unless you have a pile of cash.

You can always get back and get into the swing of your career, but make sure you are ready financially for the cruise. We weren't.
I dug through several pages of threads you started (you prolific writer you!) but couldn't find this story. Have you posted it before? Would you be willing to share?

Thanks,
J
Jack Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 01:48   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Sullivan is off for a while (couple of months I think he said?) delivering his new boat "up North".

I don't recall that he wrote a specific post on this subject, more it was a long string of threads over an extended period documenting his experiances, problems and frustrations. So yer have quite a bit of reading!

Quote:
This is VERY important. I am living proof that you can't just "go now" if you don't have vast savings and/or a paid for boat.
At the risk of second guessing from the comfort of my armchair someone who has tried something that I have not (yet!) - I would however beg to disagree with Sullivan's blunt assertion......

From my (possibly wrong!) interpretation of his circumstances, the fundamental problems were that he was on the wrong boat for not having vast savings / a good income - (too big at 45' and too nice! - but that was because it was bought for a Charter Biz, not for simply (??!) sailing off into the sunset).

And he also had a large debt without the income to repay it in the foreseable future (even if keeping his head above water) - and the weight of the debt hanging over his head just wore him down / coloured everything - because he knew he could never "go now" whilst the debt was in existence. Also was living in a (relatively) high cost of living area in the States.

Plenty of folk out their without "Vast savings" and some even with unpaid boats - of course does not mean that they have all gone forever or are all on large / expensive yachts - it's about cutting yer cloth according to yer (£££) circumstances........doing it with Zero however would be a bit of a challenge , but I am sure their is someone somewhere (albeit probably without an internet connection.....or even a PC!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote