Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 04:48   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44
Australia Boat Ownership of Foreign Flagged Vessel

Hello;

I just bought a new catamaran that is US registered but I live in Australia. I am bringing the boat in from Fiji and I intend to refit/provision the boat in Australia before commencing a long-term sailing adventure. I'm wondering if anyone knows about what, if anything I need to do with Customs/Quarantine in Australia and what the 'grace period' is before I would need to register/import the boat to Australia. What I'm asking is, how long can I stay in Australia and not have to register the boat, import it and pay all the taxes and duty. I am a New Zealand citizen living in Australia for now but will be leaving on the trip within about 8 months. I am familiar with the 96 hour advance notice requirement and entry requirements for crew. Does anyone have experience or information about coming in at Bundaberg? How long can I expect to have the boat stuck in quarantine (recent anti-foul is done!). Thank you for the information!
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 21:09   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Re: Australia Boat Ownership of Foreign Flagged Vessel

With a bit of luck you might get a reply from someone more knowledgeable than me.
I plan to be in a similar(ish) boat in about a year.

There's another couple of threads around here in a similar vein, but no concrete answer that I have found.

This link to the Australian Customs site might help you out: Information for yachts travelling to Australia

Please post back here with your findings.
Old 18-07-2014, 21:33   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44
Re: Australia Boat Ownership of Foreign Flagged Vessel

Hi I got this reply directly from Australian Customs folks:

"Hi,

When you arrive in Australia, there are two clearance options depending on when you intend to leave. If you intend to leave within twelve months, you may be granted a cruising permit or asked to provide a security for temporary importation.
Both options provide access to Australian waters and lands.
1. Control permits
A control permit will be issued to the Master or owner of the craft if Customs and Border Protection is satisfied the craft is touring Australia for non-commercial purposes. Control permits may be issued for specified periods, for example three (3) months or the length of time of the Master's visa, whichever is less, however the maximum length of time a permit will be granted will not exceed twelve (12) months.
Extensions of the permit may be granted on application, provided that you have an appropriate visa however extensions will only be granted for a maximum of three (3) years within a four (4) year period commencing from the date of arrival of the craft in Australia.
You will be required to comply with certain conditions attached to the issue of the permit.
Control permits will not be issued if:
the vessel is owned or operated by an Australian resident unless exceptional circumstances apply;
the vessel is to be used for commercial purposes (e.g. charter, hire or lease);
the vessels, or parts of the vessel, are to be sold or listed for sale.
If circumstances of the craft's presence in Australia change, you are required to advise Customs and Border Protection. Failure to do so can result in a cruising permit being revoked and the vessel being deemed imported at which time payment of duty and tax will be required.
For further information please click here http://www.customs.gov.au/faq/Yachts.asp"

Hopefully this will help you.

Derek
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, ownership