Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 09:39   #1

1 week sailing trip from Sint Maartin, where to go?

We are 12 guys have rented a 50ft Catamaran 2nd week in June next year for a week from Sint Maartin. We are all experienced sailors and two of us are working at sea, we will bareboat charter the catamaran and i am wondering what would be the best route to sail out from there
I have been sailing around the Caribbean for two years but that is working on cruise liners so I have not much experience where to go with a small sailing vessel around that area.

My first plan was to sail to the British virgin islands but it is about 8-10h sailing distance from Sint Maartin so it will take to long for just one week. the other option would be to sail to the islands close to Sint Maartin , Molly beday, Guana key and Ile Tinamarre, if they are recommended. Then sail SE to St Barthelemy and around St Barthelemy Natural Reserve but i dont know if you allowed to drop anchor in the Natural Reserve if i remember right there are only two anchor spots, bay of Colombier and Fourchue.

I am hoping that I could get some tips regrading which islands that are worth a visit and what not to miss when it comes to diving and snorkeling and more. with only one week of sailing I hope i can get some help posting this thread. to make this trip a as good as it can be.

Sincerely ,
Andreas Thornblom
1st Officer Navigation
M/V "Legend of the Seas"
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Cpt. Thornblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 16:05   #2

Re: 1 week sailing trip from Sint Maartin, where to go?

I will write more when I have time, we did 7 days and it was great. Ile fourche was awesome, so isolated. I think it is mooring only, picture attached. Everyone cleared out at night and it was just us and one other boat. I felt it had weird energy, that might have been the rum though!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1404255919.852934.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	84258

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
iainonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 16:19   #3

Orient bay / pinel was great and st Baarts is probably a must visit.

iainonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 17:57   #4

Boat: Oyster 55

Definitely Saba with the right weather window.

caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 19:46   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello Captain and welcome to cruisers forum. I used to keep my cat at the Moorings/Sunsail base on St. Maarten and spend many weeks sailing around the area. But my first suggestion is to try to use the forums Google search tool to find about 10 threads that have detailed your exact question in the past. If you click on the "search" tab and then use the second lookup box, type in "St. Maarten charter".

My second suggestion is to basically skip St. Maarten and go to Anguilla and St. Barts. Of course you will spend one night in Orient Bay, but then Anguilla for two nights and St. Bart's for two or three. I just don't really like St. Maarten compared to the other two. Saba is a good suggestion and very doable. Read up on it because you have to use mooring balls. Also be aware that you are entering hurricane season.

Tags
sail, sailing