Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 20:29   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Los Corrales

We are in La Cruz currently and heading south to Zihuatanejo. I am thinking about stopping in Los Corrales which is right by Cabo Corrientes. I am finding nothing on google searches really and it seems like nobody knows anything about this place. I found this place via google earth and it looks cool.
Thoughts?
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:46   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Los Corrales

We stopped there for a night about 10 years ago, it's open from the north and was a bit rolly. Nice little cove, a small fishing village, some pangas on moorings and some more on the beach. I'd say it depends on the weather because you'll frequently have at least some waves coming in. The next day we went around Corrientes to Tehuamixtle and had a very pleasant couple of days. Pretty much the same situation but open from the south rather than the north, so you can make your choice based on wind/waves at the time.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 21:30   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We stopped there for a night about 10 years ago, it's open from the north and was a bit rolly. Nice little cove, a small fishing village, some pangas on moorings and some more on the beach. I'd say it depends on the weather because you'll frequently have at least some waves coming in. The next day we went around Corrientes to Tehuamixtle and had a very pleasant couple of days. Pretty much the same situation but open from the south rather than the north, so you can make your choice based on wind/waves at the time.
Thanks for responding.
What was the anchorage like? Deep? Rocky?
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 21:56   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

As I recall it was a decent anchorage (both were), but it was some time ago and I don't really recall what the bottom was like. I don't remember any drama around finding a spot and getting the anchor set, and I certainly recall drama in some of the anchorages along that coast.

However, the old coast pilot has the opposite opinion (possibly from the point of view of much larger vessels):

Quote:
Corrales Harbor - West of Tabo Bay, separated from it by a high hill is the so-called [sic] harbor of Corrales, the western limit of which is only about 1/2 mile from Cape Corrientes. It is about 1/2 mile in extent, but affords no convenient anchorage because of the depth of the water, 30 fathoms being found in the center and 4 fathoms within an oar's length of the beach all around.

A sunken rock, on which the sea breaks in rough weather, lies off the mouth of the harbor, about 600 yards from the shore. A good landing may be had in this bay.
My memory is that we found a decent spot along the east shore near the village. There is a charter cat that says this about it:

Quote:
Corrales is a fine protected inlet just inside the Southernmost tip of Banderas Bay. It’s where we can securely drop anchor if we want to stay overnight near Cabo Corrientes, which we must go around when we’re on the longest leg of our Costa Alegre Discovery cruise. It saves a few hours time and is convenient when we’ve been enjoying the South Coast beaches and lively water environments during the day and we want a nice quiet, calm anchorage for the night.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote