Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 19:30   #1

Myrtle Beach to Charleston SC by ICW

I want to make this trip and stay over a few days in Charleston. Can anyone give me any advise? How long, difficult to navigate. Have a 25ft center console. Any help will be appreciated.
Saltcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 19:39   #2

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Myrtle Beach to Charleston SC by ICW

Very easy. Check out Cruiser's Net for recent nav info, dredging, bridges, etc.

Waccamaw River is deep and scenic, good anchorages. Santee region is also very nice. Cape Romain is beautiful, spend some time gunkholing around there if wild coastal settings and oyster beds are your cup of tea.

Check out some of the guides from guys that regularly post here, hopefully they'll chime in. It is a nice section of the southeast coast, and overall very easy to pilot with basic skills, charts and guides.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 05:37   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Yes, very easy trip, and about 125 statute miles in protected water (except Charleston Harbor, perhaps), depending on where you're starting and ending exactly. However, Don't expect that you can just blast down there the whole way full throttle...allow for plenty of extra time. The Waccamaw is gorgeous and should be a pleasure. Still pretty, but a little more arduous in the narrow channels the rest of the way. Be especially careful of shoaling in the last cut through Isle of Palms, expecially at mile 450...when in doubt, take it slow (and be in doubt a bit!). A good charting GPS, a good guidebook (hint), up-to-date info from our website and/or others, and a chart or chartbook will keep you in good water. Don't forget the tides and current are significant, although much more so for slowpokes like me and deeper draft vessels. Have fun and be safe!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Yes, very easy trip, and about 125 statute miles in protected water (except Charleston Harbor, perhaps), depending on where you're starting and ending exactly. However, Don't expect that you can just blast down there the whole way full throttle...allow for plenty of extra time. The Waccamaw is gorgeous and should be a pleasure. Still pretty, but a little more arduous in the narrow channels the rest of the way. Be especially careful of shoaling in the last cut through Isle of Palms, expecially at mile 450...when in doubt, take it slow (and be in doubt a bit!). A good charting GPS, a good guidebook (hint), up-to-date info from our website and/or others, and a chart or chartbook will keep you in good water. Don't forget the tides and current are significant, although much more so for slowpokes like me and deeper draft vessels. Have fun and be safe!
"Be especially careful of shoaling in the last cut through Isle of Palms, expecially(sic) at mile 450"

The entire stretch from the Isle of Palms Marina south to the Ben Sawyer bridge - Day mark 117 to 120 - is challenging due to the many creeks that cross the Waterway. It is difficult to "intuit" your way through this area. Best to transit at high tide and use caution. On the other hand, you have a shallow draft vessel so you have less worries than many other mights.

Enjoy your trip. Drive slowly to enjoy the scenery. Charleston is superb.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 07:50   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

All excellent advice above. My one addition is to note the sudden change when you get into the wide open waters of Charleston Harbor, with the potential for big ships, numerous channels, many and confusing markers for the first-timer. It is worth it to plot out a course or two and study the harbor before you cross. If you're going to the city marina keep in mind the very strong current through the marina--takes planning and careful maneuvering.
Old 31-03-2013, 11:05   #6

How long would you allow from Georgetown to isle of palms. May try to stay there. I put my body in at 544 bridge in Socastee
Old 31-03-2013, 11:06   #7

[QUOTE="Saltcat;1199057"]How long would you allow from Georgetown to isle of palms. May try to stay there. I put my boat in at Socastee hey 544.
Old 31-03-2013, 11:07   #8

[QUOTE="Saltcat;1199057"]How long would you allow from Georgetown to isle of palms. May try to stay there. I put my boat in at 544 bridge in Socastee.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

It's about 50 statute miles from Georgetown to Isle of Palms.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 17:36   #10

Traveling by jet ski from Charleston to Myrtle Beach. Hints, tips. Where to find a map. Thanks,Dean
Deanhicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw