Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 11:26   #1

Boat: Huon 33
vyacht Wi-fi...... HELP please

I have the vyacht NMEA wifi. It seems to be a great unit, unfortunately however, they don't seem interested in supporting the product at all. They were more than happy to answer all my questions until I actually bought one, but have ignored all my requests since they have had my cash in their bank.

I have set the unit up with the NMEA 2000 inputs, and tested it out with the mid wifi APP. It works great. However, once your ipad is connected to the vyacht wifi, you can no longer access the cellular wifi on your ipad.

vYacht claim that it will route my internet too. I have it connected to my Computer by Ethernet cable, and my computer tethered to my iphone for 4g internet, however, despite studying their manual closely, I can't make it work.

Does anyone have any experience of this set up that could offer some help?

Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:32   #2

Re: vyacht Wi-fi...... HELP please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
...once your ipad is connected to the vyacht wifi, you can no longer access the cellular wifi on your ipad.
Your ipad is made to connect to EITHER a cellular network, OR a wifi network. It will not connect to both at the same time. It connects to whichever it decides is fastest, and that is almost always going to be the wifi network.

So, this sounds to me like an ipad limitation, and not a problem with the vyacht device.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 13:02   #3

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
However, once your ipad is connected to the vyacht wifi, you can no longer access the cellular wifi on your ipad.

vYacht claim that it will route my internet too. I have it connected to my Computer by Ethernet cable, and my computer tethered to my iphone for 4g internet, however, despite studying their manual closely, I can't make it work.
Although I don't personally own an iOS device, denverd0n's reply sounds right regarding cellular vs. wifi: Try using iPad with a home wifi system that's unplugged from the Internet and you should experience the same thing.

Regarding the "Routing your Internet" problem, I just had a quick look at the vyacht manual and it talks about connecting to the Internet by connecting the WAN port to a second router which has Internet connectivity. From the sounds of it you've plugged the vyacht into your computer which you haven't mentioned being set up as a router. Depending on OS, getting a PC to route between interfaces can be a non-trivial exercise which I wouldn't have expected to be within the scope of the vyacht device's support.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 13:55   #4

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
I have it connected to my Computer by Ethernet cable, and my computer tethered to my iphone for 4g internet, however, despite studying their manual closely, I can't make it work.
Bet that's the rub. As previously suggested, sharing your pc's internet connection with another device can be a complicated endeavour. I do recall an "Internet connection sharing" option with WinXP... but I've never played with it.

FWIW vyacht specs an optional ethernet WAN port that allows connectivity to a 3rd party router.

https://www.vyacht.net/specification#wireless

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 14:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Your ipad is made to connect to EITHER a cellular network, OR a wifi network. It will not connect to both at the same time. It connects to whichever it decides is fastest, and that is almost always going to be the wifi network.

So, this sounds to me like an ipad limitation, and not a problem with the vyacht device.
I don't believe I have said that it is a limitation of the vYacht device? I have said it is a limitation of the set-up, that I could resolve, if I could route internet through the vYacht, as was the plan.

I am interested I your statement though, as when the iPad is connected to the vYacht wifi, it drops the 4G. So are you saying that the iPad chooses the source with the best INTERNET, or simply a strong WIFI signal? Since there is no internet on the wifi, this could not possibly be the fastest?
Old 18-02-2016, 14:41   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

From 8.1 onwards (possibly from 7) you can ask your PC to hotspot your wifi connection. If the adapters are bridged then the ethernet port can be used to push Internet to any router or other device.

They call it vitual AP or something alike.

I do the same via our onboard router except I feed our nmea data via another router to act as an AP. This doubles the numer of routers but is way the easiest solution in our case. The cheapest too as I pick up the routers sh for USD5 apiece.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 14:53   #7

Quote:
I have it connected to my Computer by Ethernet cable, and my computer tethered to my iphone for 4g internet, however, despite studying their manual closely, I can't make it work.
Re-read the manual. Do not confuse "Ethernet connection" with "Internet connection". There is a difference and you can have the prior absent the former.

From page 1: "If you purchased the version with additional ethernet then you can even route internet through the same wireless network."

http://vyacht.net/documents/NMEA-WiF...manual-v97.pdf

Connections should be PC to LAN port on vyacht, INTERNET router to WAN port on vyacht, NMEA to vyacht, iPad to vyacht wireless.

Old 19-02-2016, 02:24   #8

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If the adapters are bridged then the ethernet port can be used to push Internet to any router or other device.

They call it vitual AP or something alike.
SoftAP? I know nothing about Windows, but isn't that about using a wired Internet connection to create an access point for wireless devices whereas this is the reverse problem: routing a wired connection to a wireless Internet connection.

Achieving the desired result with the physical connections the OP describes via the laptop will be do-able (it's the kind of StupidNetworkTrick I've often done with my Linux laptop). The question (which our Windows-using friends will be better able to answer than I) is how easy it is for those not adept in Windows networking to configure (assuming the OP's computer is Windows).
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 02:56   #9

If you connect an iPad/iPhone to a wifi then it will try to access the internet through that and not use your 3g/4g network. I'm guessing that the same applies to the android world.

The only way you can be connected to wifi and have a 3g/4g internet connection is if you setup your "i" as a wireless hotspot, but then the other devices must connect to your "i" device.

This diagram shows how you can connect to the internet using your vyacht

It's probably stupid or at least annoying that the device does not include a USB connector for a USB dongle, so the only way to get internet and the vyacht data is via the two 10/100Mbps-LAN/WAN ports. In this case you need a laptop with the 3g/4g dongle or a style home 4G router like this DWR-921 4G LTE Router | D-Link UK

When sailing, your your phone to update your FB status and tweet
Old 19-02-2016, 06:50   #10

Yes. If the Internet comes via 3/4G then a router with dongle socket will do the trick. When picking one up mind presence of USB port does not imply USB 3/4G capability. Normally, a dedicated 3/4G USB port is required (e.g. on our Vodafone unit, only one out of 3 USB ports is meant for the dongle.

If wifi is in the air, one can also use a wifi extender - one that acts as a wifi extender AND has an ethernet LAN port - these can bridge the wifi extending adapter and the LAN adapter. I am right now using one (a TP-Link 830).

b.
Old 19-02-2016, 08:42   #11

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Yes, it is limitation you could say with the iPad but it is a hardware issue. Unless the device has two either physical or logical Ethernet adapters it is not possible to be on two networks at the same time.

On an iPhone you can be on WIFI and then receive a phone call on the carrier's 4G network but that be because 4G voice is not using IP protocols or has two adapters. Not sure which. I hope I did not muddle it up further.

vYacht may have an option to bond two signals together but that would then be akin to a multiWAN router and is usually more expensive.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 02:25   #12

Well thanks for all of your input...... Unfortunately I am only a very minor piece wiser.

I have a slightly older model vYacht, it has one ethernet socket..... I can access the vYacht router settings via a browser.... WHEN CONNECTED TO THE VYACHT wifi only. It allows me to configure the Ethernet socket as either LAN or WAN......

As some of you have pointed out... the vYacht website says that the unit will accept and route wifi...... some have suggested it will only do this when connected to an existing internet router. Other have suggested that a PC connected via ethernet, can be set to "bridge" the internet that the PC is receiving via wifi, or tethered device.

the latter is what I an trying to achieve......
Old 20-02-2016, 03:35   #13

Hi, new to the forum but I'm a bit of a tech head. Anyway from looking at this thing it looks like a kind of bridging hardware. Connecting up multiple pieces of hardware and broadcasting them over a network (either ethernet or wifi or both) and let's you bridge an Internet connection to the connected devices.

You'll specifically require a modem that connects via mobile (cellular) or a fixed connection like adsl/cable. It looks like you can use the Ethernet connection to use it to bridge the modem so that you'll have Internet access via the wifi connection being broadcasted.

From what I understand to your original question regarding the iPad. It's not designed to do what your attempting. The cellular/mobile connection is always active on the iPad,, as it the wifi connection however it will prioritise using the wifi connection when it is available but won't route the traffic on the wifi over the cellular/mobile connection. A new feature introduced in some models of iPhone will use the cellular/wifi depending on which is faster but it won't help you in your situation.

There are ways to "tether" your iPad to a computer via wifi and use the computer to act as a router to which you can connect to this device but it's a painful setup to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:03   #14

Quote:

Other have suggested that a PC connected via ethernet, can be set to "bridge" the internet that the PC is receiving via wifi, or tethered device.

If so. Connect your PC to the wifi AP. Go into network settings and bridge the wifi and the ethernet adapters. Plug the ethernet into the V thing, set the V thing to bridge the ethernet port and the nmea data wifi network. (you can test the ethernet part with any other PC plugged into this ethernet cable first - before you plug this cable into your V toy).

But this makes you keep the PC going all time. If the PC is going all time, why not access the Internet on this same PC?

I would use a wireless extender with ethernet port to get the wifi into the V thing. Then you do not need to keep your PC on.

I have tried this set up with my nmea router (not the V thing, I have one homebuilt from an old wifi router) and for some reasons, even when my Internet (ethernet port) and nmea (wifi) are bridged, I do not get the Internet on my tablet. So it is not only about being able to patch and bridge the hardware side but actually down to how your tablet uses the wifi adapter to access various streams of data. You may have all the hardware bridged and in synch and yet NOT get the Internet (or nmea data) going on the mobile device ;-(

b.
Old 20-02-2016, 09:11   #15

Quote:
I don't think you specified your operating system yet, just that you have a "computer". You could be running Linux for all I know... If it's windows, here's a link that might provide some insight into what you are trying to do.

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - Windows Help

If it's Win10, here's a neat little piece of software to make your PC a hotspot.

How to turn your Windows 10 PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot

Good luck!

Tags
lease, yacht