Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 03:44   #1

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield
Islander Freeport Portholes

Long time Bayfield 36 owner now considering a Islander Freeport. But should I be concerned about the oversized portholes/windows in the main salon?
The one boat I'm checking out next month had them replaced in 2009 but the broker doesn't know why. Then another boat I've looked at online, it looks like the wood around the portholes has been replaced. Does anyone have any info on if leakage is a problem? FYI, they are stationary and don't open.

Thanks!
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 05:09   #2

Re: Islander Freeport Portholes

island Freeport 36. Islanders’ are a different boat. Be concerned about the big windows if you want, many worry , many don’t. I sailed mine all over the SW Carib and Bahamas and enjoyed the view, one I know of sailed to the South Pacific , windows intact. It sunk( windows intact). On a calm night off Australia due to water egress trough prop shaft area..
The windows get replaced because the plastic frames start to look bad and the plexi gets scratched and crazed over 30 plus years . It’s a expensive job. I would look at it as a plus. All boat windows, ports leak at some point over 30 years. How bad. How long. How rainy the environment play a part in how much damage is done to the core/ inside of the boat. I have not seen a Freeport with any of the salon windows opening.
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freeport, Islander Freeport