Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 17:19   #1

Taswell 43 versus Bristol 45.5 Smackdown

These two boats are currently at the top of my list and I'm interested in getting some opinions. I've seen several posts on the Bristols over the last 6 months but not many on the Taswells. Btw, I'm looking at boats late 80s, early 90s. I'm aware of the Bristols needing replacement tanks and most of the ones I've seen have had that done. The Taswells are on average pricier. Not sure what the problems are in the Taswells that I need to watch out for. Would particularly like to hear from Taswell or Bristol owners. Any comments about the boats as well as how they compare would be appreciated. Which would be your choice and why? Thanks in advance.

Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 06:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Taswell 43 versus Bristol 45.5 Smackdown

We actually looked at a couple of Taswells before we bought our Bristol 45.5

We found them cramped inside , beware of the teak decks , tight engine room . We really didn't like the layout but the centerline aft bunk was nice. No encapsulated keel . Deeper draft . I love the centerboard setup on the Bristol and the way she sails . Not the fastest boat on the water but no slouch either . Great Cadillac ride and goes to weather just fine .

I own a Bristol so of course I would try to sway you that way .

It all comes down to your taste , I personally love the Ted Hood classic lines , I never tire of looking back at the boat when we dinghy away .

If the Taswell has teak decks , run away !! They are screwed down .

As for build quality , I would give it to the Bristol , not because I own one but because I have not seen any thing better. Any of the second generation series Bristols are great platforms to start with and upgrade from there as we have done.

Have fun. Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:11   #3

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Re: Taswell 43 versus Bristol 45.5 Smackdown

I would also own a Bristol 45.5 before a Taswell 43, since the Bristol has a better layout. For us it was a Taswell 49 or Bristol 47.7, and, with a fiberglass deck, the Taswell was better. It has an encapsulated lead keel. Taswell was the in house brand (Ta Shing) that now only makes Nordhavens. Very well balanced, very well made. On the Bristol side of things, the only problems we encountered during inspection and surveys were leaking tanks, or tanks isolated from the rest.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote