Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 00:18   #1

Lightbulb No Boom Lift on an Islander Bahama 30

Recently bought a 1982 Islander. Instead of a line from the end of the boom to the mast like most boats in the marina, ours has a short cable that goes from the end of the boom to about 1/2 of the way along the back stay. I have yet to see this configuration on another boat.
It seems to work OK, once the sails are up, we unclip the cable from the end of the boom and re-hook it just before taking the mainsail down. My question is - is this trouble waiting to happen or can I live with this?
paulc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
That's not an uncommon arrangement. The topping lift, which you lack, serves the purpose of holding the boom up until you can raise the mainsail, just as the pennant from the backstay does. The advantage of the topping lift is that the boom can rotate while the sail is being raised or lowered without jerking the backstay.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The lack of a topping lift can prove a major problem when one needs to reef. Absent a support for the boom, one cannot release the main halyard without the boom crashing down and flailing around. Do youself a favor and add a topping lift or rigid boom vang that can perform the same function. Garhaurer makes a very good inexpensive solid vang that will work well on your boat.

FWIW

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54   #4

Boat: Wayfarer Islander 21'
Re: No Boom Lift on an Islander Bahama 30

I was dealing with this issue on my Islander 21, and only found this thread after, thanks for sharing knowledge out loud!
Bruce.N.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift