Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 18:23   #1

Seawind rudder

Hi

I’m new to this forum, so not sure if I’m posting in the correct spot, but here goes.
I have a Seawind Resort 1050 in QLD Australia
I had a steering issue recently with the chain breaking a link. We fixed that up yesterday but when I went to make sure the rudders were centred, the port rudder was missing, gone, completely disappeared.
I’m not sure if it was lost at the time of the steering failure or earlier?
So I’m after any info on where I may be able to obtain a new/2nd hand rudder. I know I could probably drop the starboard rudder out and get a copy made, but I was hoping someone out there may have one or at least let me know what to do
Cheers
DaveR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 03:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Seawind rudder

Hope you find a used rudder but I ended copying mine. This was in Germany. Did not have to haul the boat but simply dropped the remaining rudder with a rope attached to it. Re-installing both rudders was done similarly. The old rudder had a ring welded to the top that made lifting and dropping much easier. I added that to the new rudder too.

I later learned the rings should have had bolts inserted through them to prevent the rudders from dropping out. The only glitch was that the new rudder had more foam in it than the old one and wanted to float. A weight belt took care of that so I am guessing the rudder will have difficultly dropping off now even without the bolt.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder, Seawind, wind