Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 19:09   #1

Cavalier 32 Rudder Removal

Hi All,
I need to drop my rudder in order to replace a seal etc. My Cav 32 has the prop inside a cutaway. The rudder drops from the tube and hits the prop shaft. So it now seems I need to pull the shaft to get the rudder off to work on the rudder shaft. Am I missing something here? Also replacing prop for a three blader. Seems I need to drop the rudder also to fit the prop, but of course, once fitted the rudder post cant be fed into the tube! Like I said, am I missing something here.
Keith
Cavalier 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 19:21   #2

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: Cavalier 32 Rudder Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier 32 View Post
Hi All,
I need to drop my rudder in order to replace a seal etc. My Cav 32 has the prop inside a cutaway. The rudder drops from the tube and hits the prop shaft. So it now seems I need to pull the shaft to get the rudder off to work on the rudder shaft. Am I missing something here? Also replacing prop for a three blader. Seems I need to drop the rudder also to fit the prop, but of course, once fitted the rudder post cant be fed into the tube! Like I said, am I missing something here.
Keith
You should be able to get your prop off and back on without removing the rudder. Instead of pulling the prop shaft you could slide your engine forward.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 20:46   #3

Re: Cavalier 32 Rudder Removal

Nope, Shaft had to come out. What started as a two day, couple of hundred dollar job is currently at 3 weeks and $1800. (Sound familiar). Quadrant corroded and I could not split it, key in rudder post shaft corroded solid, had to grind it, Rudder shaft seal, useless, had to replace it ($700), new bearings at rudder and prop shaft entries, new hoses over the two seals, new seals for prop shaft,. While I was there I figured why not, so; new steering cable and chain, refurbish prop shaft to G/box mount, and a new prop, which I have had for awhile anyway.

Now I find prop is a couple of mm to large to fit on the shaft with the rudder on, the rudder aperture is a whisker too small and the three blader hits the rudder. Which comes first, chicken or the egg, in my case the rudder on first or the prop shaft in first. The former seems the only way to go.

I am seeing the light now and I am confident my hair will grow back. Quick question; there are no anodes anywhere under the water line. I have increased the bronze prop surface are considerably (from a two blade to a three); do I need to revisit anode protection?

While cleaning her out I discover a large, but thin, copper plate strip on the starboard side, partially laid into the glass. Assuming this is an "Earth" function, it came away while I was scrubbing, how do I replace it?

Cheers
Cavalier 32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, rudder