Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 06:35   #1
cruiser

Maine & Canada Cruising Ideas Please

Our plans have changed due to some minor repairs and unexpected delays, we now plan to head north around July 15 up to coastal Maine and Canada, to cruise Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, postponing our Trans Atlantic crossing until May 2019.

We're looking for sites to see and good anchorages along the way. Any good guide books or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 06:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Maine & Canada Cruising Ideas Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our plans have changed due to some minor repairs and unexpected delays, we now plan to head north around July 15 up to coastal Maine and Canada, to cruise Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, postponing our Trans Atlantic crossing until May 2019.

We're looking for sites to see and good anchorages along the way. Any good guide books or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
The Cruising Club of America has a Cruising Guide to Newfoundland. It was due to be renewed or needed updating (seemed out of date in 2017). It may have been republished by now. The 2014 edition is what I read, but it seemed to have old observations and notes. If only the 2014 version is available, I would buy it and some other official guides too.
https://www.pilothousecharts.com/pil...land-2014.html

I thought the official Cruising Guide (the Canadian pilot book) available in Newfoundland was good, as it is recent, has aerial photos of ports, etc.

Here is something to consider:
http://www.charts.gc.ca/publications...tiques-eng.asp

Be aware that cell phone coverage is spotty along the coast and in some ports was hard to get. Same with internet access.

Tip: have a good RADAR and AIS system.

Newfoundland is a great place to cruise, an extraordinary place. The three weeks and 800nm I spent Cruising there in summer of 2017, with a nice CF Member, were unforgettable. So much to see. I would like to go back, but would hope to spend more time, seeing the South Coast fjords and Miquelon and other places. In fact, I would like to do a circumnavigation of Newfoundland!

I recently (May 2018) sailed to Maine, up Penobscot Bay, with another CF Member. While the scenery was nice, and we ended the voyage in a somewhat remote wooded cove, the landscape was not at all like Newfoundland. There were many more houses seen on the coast in Maine.

In Newfoundland, there are areas that are really remote! And the rugged landscape is awesome. Very high cliffs, huge rock faces, etc.

Given a choice, I would skip Maine, and spend all the time, as much as possible exploring Newfoundland.

Anyone need Crew for a cruise to, around, or even a circumnavigation of Newfoundland? I am ready to go again!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 07:12   #3
cruiser

Thanks Steadman, I’ll take a close look at the guidebook; also have the Navionics Platinum+ charts loaded on our chartplotter.

Geez, looking at the globe, we’ll only be a few days sail away from Greenland - better bring a warm jacket.

Is five weeks enough time? Where are the major airports located for my wife to fly back and forth to Boston?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 07:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks Steadman, I’ll take a close look at the guidebook; also have the Navionics Platinum+ charts loaded on our chartplotter.

Geez, looking at the globe, we’ll only be a few days sail away from Greenland - better bring a warm jacket.

Is five weeks enough time? Where are the major airports located for my wife to fly back and forth to Boston?
The major international airport is near (just outside or suburb) St. Johns, which is the biggest city, and a great place to visit. I enjoyed a few hours walking around St. John's, but think a few days would not be too much. Much to see. Great museums. Lots of restaurants and bars and entertainment. Walkable.

Because of the remoteness of much of the coastal areas, it could be difficult to get to that airport from much of the coast. But, the specific location is important to consider. However, the Trinity Bay area is closer, and a good place to visit, sail, and a car or bus could take her to the airport from several ports around that very large, long, bay. Much of the coast is like long fingers, requiring a long sail around, but possibly much shorter distance by land vehicle to cross to the "Hand" land.
See map below.

Also, the port of Trinity is a very nice historic place to visit. However, it is not remote, and is oriented to tourism now.

We can talk about it if you want. I am a slow typist today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2103.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	172637  
Old 28-06-2018, 07:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some of my favorite things to see in Newfoundland were the large icebergs we saw offshore. They are each different, with some as large as Ships.

This photo shows one that we approached and circled closely by dinghy.
Unforgettable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2104.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	172638  
Old 28-06-2018, 08:14   #6

West coast airport at Corner Brook, plenty of flights that will connect via Halifax to Boston. I'll put a plug in for visiting St. Pierre and Miquelon islands, French territory. Off the southern coast.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 08:33   #7

Boat: Pearson 31

Kenomac, Not sure I agree with Steadman to skip Maine. Penobscot Bay is one of the best cruising grounds in the world. Further up the coast is Northeast Harbor where you can take advantage of the complimentary bus service to visit the famous Acadia National Park and sail up Somes Sound, the only natural Fjord on the east coast. Jumping off from there is an overnight sail to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The "Cruising Guide to the Coast of Maine" by Hank and Jan Taft is the best resource. Please pm me if you would like more details on sailing the Maine coast. Good luck!
SandIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 08:54   #8

Boat: Viking 28

Good places to stop,Yarmouth harbour, Lunenburg harbour, Chester harbour,, Halifax harbour, Sydney before you cross to Newfie. Make sure you have good weather for the crossing to Newfie. Another great spot is Prince Edward Island , Charlottetown Harbour.

Have a good trip
Al
Aeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 09:47   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Ken, if you’re headed up the Corner Brook, NL way we’ll have to connect. I can’t offer much local knowledge (yet), having just arrived end of last season. But there are some great anchorages in and around the Bay of Islands area. Up into Gros Morne National Park (a UNESCO world site) is said to be really nice. We’re planning to head up there soon — if we can get this old boat sea worthy again (one step forward, one step back…).

The Cruising Guide to Newfoundland that Steadman mentions is the only one I’ve seen for the Island. It’s not great, but better than nuthin’. Mostly you go by charts and local knowledge.

St. John’s is the big city in Newfoundland, but Corner Brook is a distant #2. There are decent air connections via nearby Deer Lake.

Weather has sucked so far this season. We just had snow two days ago. But hopefully summer will settle in soon. So come on up. We’ll have a blast .
Old 28-06-2018, 09:54   #10

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We cruised Maine last year, stopping at two harbors in Penobscot Bay, (Rockland and Castine), Bucks Harbor in the Eggemoggin Reach, (visting the Wooden Boat School is highly recommended), Somes Harbor on Mount Desert Island was fabulous (the free buses on MDI were a terrific way to see the island where there's some great hiking to be done), the sandy beach on Roque Island was beautiful and the members of the Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club in Blue Hill were very friendly.

We did not have time to make it to Canada but the extreme tides and currents up there sounded a little intense for our preferred style of cruising.

Have a great trip! Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:15   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I wouldn't go up that coast without transiting Bras D'or Lakes or other parts of Cape Breton. Their cruising guide is stellar. Look under "Navigation" for some excellent info and simple charts: The Information Resource for cruising Cape Breton
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:19   #12

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

https://www.amazon.com/Embassy-Cruis...urtis+Rindlaub

Good guide and I would take some time stop at Robinhood Marina nice secluded and close to Boothbay and Georgetown. On the Sheepscot River (NOAA Chart #13293. https://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.co...rina-services/

Look me up Honeymoon 40' Block Island yawl blue hull. I am on mooring.
Old 28-06-2018, 10:26   #13

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

According Maine gov web site, there is a pump out installation at Machiasport:
https://www.maine.gov/dep/water/wd/v...mpoutguide.pdf

The document is a bit outdated though (2010).
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 11:42   #14

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

I love Maine, but lets face it, lots of rain and not much wind. Most of my sailing there is actually motoring in the rain dodging lobster buoys.

Nova Scotia has much more breeze and seemingly less rain. Dockage is very inexpensive. Shelburne, Lockporte, Brooklyn/Liverpool, Lunenburg and Halifax RNSYS were all great stops for us with friendly locals. PLUS, the most inexpensive dockage on the east coast!

Looking to head up again this year to Bras D'or.

Morganscloud.com has an excellent ebook on NS cruising as well as NL.

Steadman is right. All the books out there are way out of date.
Old 28-06-2018, 11:57   #15

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

This Facebook group was created to help cruisers visiting the east coast of Canada.
There are links to many resources & people who live & cruise here.
Cheers/ Len

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

Tags
Canada, cruising, lease, maine