Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 10:41   #1

Beneteau Excess Catamarans Launched

Starting a new thread about Beneteau's new line of catamarans, Excess.

The existing thread is five pages of rants about their marketing, entitled millennials, overpriced new boats, etc. so go there (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nd-207450.html) if you want to rant about those things...

Here is today's launch announcement with photos:

https://excess-catamarans.com/our-news/excess-in-sight

I am curious why they went with twin stern steering, what do folks think are the pros and cons of these different types of catamaran helms?

Bulkhead (Lagoon 380, 42, etc.)
Twin Stern (Catana, Nautitech & now Excess)
Flybridge (Lagoon 440, 450, etc.)
Forward (Gunboat)
comesatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 11:44   #2

Re: Beneteau Excess Catamarans Launched

I think stern helms open the cockpit space up and provide better coverage with the hardtop. I also think it is common with other monohull models from Beneteau which owners will recognize.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 12:49   #3
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

love or hate beneteau...i have to admit thats a good looking catamaran. seems to me like their condo on the water approach suits a cat better than a mono. gorgeous interior. exterior not too shabby either.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 13:46   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I think stern helms open the cockpit space up and provide better coverage with the hardtop. I also think it is common with other monohull models from Beneteau which owners will recognize.

Agree, the way to create more cockpit space is to put the helm on a flybridge or out on the hulls.

Flybridge means a high boom and and separates the helm from the rest of the boat. Aesthetically love it or hate it. Lagoon is doubling down and creating effectively another cockpit up there, in addition to the lower cockpit. Flybridge helms have great visibility and given the Catamaran Impi videos seems to be a great place to hang out even in rougher weather.

Out on the hulls keeps the helms on the same level as everyone else and is more monohull-like - looking forward along the windward hull. Allows the cabin and cockpit to be more streamlined and a lower boom. Visibility across the boat is crap, especially with the very low helm positions. The little mini-biminis over the helms look a bit silly.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 13:49   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

for my money, I like this layout much better than the flybride stuff.....I hate the flybridge!!, but the cockpit retractable cover limits the realestate available for solar.

Ahhhh, compromises.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 14:12   #6

Isn't Benetau and Lagoon the same company?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 14:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by comesatime View Post
Starting a new thread about Beneteau's new line of catamarans, Excess.

The existing thread is five pages of rants about their marketing, entitled millennials, overpriced new boats, etc. so go there (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nd-207450.html) if you want to rant about those things...

Here is today's launch announcement with photos:

https://excess-catamarans.com/our-news/excess-in-sight

I am curious why they went with twin stern steering, what do folks think are the pros and cons of these different types of catamaran helms?

Bulkhead (Lagoon 380, 42, etc.)
Twin Stern (Catana, Nautitech & now Excess)
Flybridge (Lagoon 440, 450, etc.)
Forward (Gunboat)
There's also Twin bulkhead, like Seawind, and God Pod, (with the helmsman's head just above roof level) like Lightwave.

John McEnroe
Old 31-07-2019, 14:37   #8

Boat: Tayana 48 DS

On a separate note...I find it interesting that the marketing of many new cat brands specifically targets wealth (I.e Excess, Privilege, Exquisite...). Whatever happened to brands that evoke a sense of the sea/adventure (Oyster, Nauticat, Gulfstar, Passport, Offshore, etc...)?
wagsea6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 15:07   #9

Astute observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsea6b View Post
On a separate note...I find it interesting that the marketing of many new cat brands specifically targets wealth (I.e Excess, Privilege, Exquisite...). Whatever happened to brands that evoke a sense of the sea/adventure (Oyster, Nauticat, Gulfstar, Passport, Offshore, etc...)?
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 15:11   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

Moving the mast back enables a relatively large self tacking headsail, which is a very nice feature. Putting the jib traveller on the cabin top is great, but would need a barber hauler for reaching due to the short track. The 15 looks better than the 12, which seems a bit stubby.

Nice big trampoline with a small centre gangway with recessed chain channel and Spade anchor under the front beam. Big cushioned lounging area in front of the cabin - missed the front cockpit movement. A fair bit of sail area and relatively large fuel capacities imply lots of power needed to move it.

Surprisingly, or maybe not given the expected target market, the galley up is very small with not a lot of counter space nor cupboards. I like the large wine fridge on the 15. No visible navigation area, I wonder where the switch panels are?

Looking into the hulls, nice beds and heads, not sure about the step though. And who actually spends time at a desk or a couch down in the hull? The whole point of a cat is topside living.

Interesting targa top for the cockpit, with the centre section canvas and able to be retracted to open up the roof over the cockpit. Hopefully water tight. Looks like can specify either main traveller or dual sheet system - the latter simplifies main handling and clears the rear of the cockpit. Nice rope bins and looks like all winches are electric.

Naming is interesting: the 12 is 11.73m and the 15 is 14.76m.

But really, this boat is not really for enthusiastic sailors; it looks aimed at the folks who like the aesthetic of sailing without having to do too much to actually sail. I notice exhaust water in all of the sailing photos. I’m sure it’s going to be very successful for marina dock queens and weekends away.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 15:36   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I like the look of this, especially the internals. Very clean open living. I'm sure there will be debates over the helm position, just look at some of the threads on Nautitechs. Still, how much time does a cruiser (this is cruisersforum after all) spend at the helm? I know I don't spend much time there. In that regard I'd rather have the helm of the Broadblue Rapier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Isn't Benetau and Lagoon the same company?
Yep, well Jeanneau owned Lagoon, and Benetau bought them.

Quote:
Privilege isn't a new cat brand, it has been making catamarans for decades. It was bought by Hanse in 2017.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 15:51   #12

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I was on a very similar Bavaria/Nautec 46 in the Bahamas this past season.

I really liked the layout, but ventilation in the main salon, galley, and cockpit was terrible.
This boat looks even worse ! only a single forward facing opening hatch in the salon.
No hatches in the overhead ! The Bavaria had two small ones, but it wasn't enough.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:36   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm confused where these are supposed to fit in the lineup. Cheaper? Not cheaper? Sporty? Less sporty?
Old 31-07-2019, 18:15   #14

Quote:
Guess there wouldn't be much point targeting people who can't afford to buy your hoats?

John McEnroe
Old 31-07-2019, 18:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
. In that regard I'd rather have the helm of the Broadblue Rapier.
I think I'd rather have the entire boat!

John McEnroe

Tags
beneteau, catamaran