Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 00:34   #1

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
boat worker's tool kits

What tools are needed for refitting and modifying a boat?

Over 4 decades of customizing and refitting yachts I have developed for my own use a number of tool kits, each with its own specialty: mechanical, electrical, drilling, epoxy/glass, etc. The principal one, a general purpose tool kit, is depicted here.

Across the top row are: dust mask, small adjustable wrench, nail clippers, long #1,2 & 3 Phillips driver bits (accessories for my drill kit), screw starter, slotted screw driver bit, Japanese marking knife, felt marker, (3) putty knives, razor scraper, Exacto knife, mini Mag light, diamond hone, scissors, slender flat blade screwdriver, inspection mirror, (3) small flat blade screwdrivers.

Next row: bench brush, work light, engineers scribe, small and medium rat-tail file, pattern-makers file, Channellock pliers, medium adjustable wrench, dial calipers, needle-nosed pliers, garden shears (for cutting doorskin strips for patterns), hex key set, 6-way screwdriver, ratcheting offset Phillips and flat blade screwdrivers, stubby combo flat blade/Phillips screwdriver.

Next row: claw hammer, Japanese razor saw, chisel, blue tape, small framing square, adjustable square, protractor, adjustable T-bevel, 80-grit sanding block, Tef-Gel.

Bottom row: shoulder plane, low angle block plane, plastic bags (containing razor razor blades, utility knife blades, brads and shims), tweezers, small and medium punches, nail set, small cold chisel, small file, Japanese keyhole saw, sandpaper, pencils, compass, standard and mini utility knives, diagonal cutting pliers, small Vise-Grip, Krazy Glue, Loctite, 3M 4000 (white) with spare nozzles, Leak Lock thread sealant, clear silicone sealer.

Additionally there is a rolled up pad that I set tools on to protect the work area. Everything in the photo fits into the 18" Husky tool bag shown.

This principal kit is augmented by other more specialized kits as required by the specific job at hand.

What have the rest of you found helpful for working on your boats?
All comments, suggestions and photo contributions are welcome.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:09   #2

Re: boat worker's tool kits

Quote:
What have the rest of you found helpful for working on your boats?
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:11   #3

BAND AIDS!!!
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I've got 5 different similar bags of that size for tools. All of them nearly full. One is just for pliers-type wrenches, channel locks, needle-nose, linesman's pliers, wire-strippers, rivet tool and the like with pivoting handles. A second one is for hammers, files, scrapers, pry-and the like, A third one (the same red Husky bag you have) is my box/open-ended wrenches, a hand impact driver tool, and a large zipper-pouch inside this bag for a loose socket set. I need to have both SAE and Metric wrenches because SAE boat with Metric Volvo-Penta engine.

A fourth bag, slightly larger contains all my power tools: Electric drill, grinder, 5" RO sander, Jigsaw, Dremel tool with flex extension, and a variable temperature heat gun. The fifth "bag" is really just an assemblage of zipper pouches: One for screwdrivers, and another for nutdrivers. There is a pouch for drill stuff like holesaws, holesaw arbors, unibits, countersink tools. And finally there is a bag for the 12v soldering iron and the various accouterments associated such as rolls of solder, the stand with the wire mesh for cleaning the end and extra tips.

Everything, except for the larger bag of power tools, fits into the little area under the nav desk seat. the power tools bag goes into a large plastic waterproof bin and is stored deep in the lazarette when it is not needed except for right now when we are on the hard and that stuff is getting used every day.

I have a few more such bags for sailing stuff, like one just for rigging with spare blocks, a fid kit and sail repair kit. Another is just for electrical supplies and spare parts. I've got 4 plastic cubby trays full of nuts, bolts, screws, electrical connectors, and one just for pop rivets but that one may get pared down to a smaller bin now that our huge refit is nearly complete.

Then there are stashes of specialty tools here and there where they will be needed, like the big stuffing box wrenches near the stuffing boxes right where they will be needed.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:22   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Your general purpose bag essentially mirrors mine. I have a few additions:

- Rubber head mallet
- Large flat head and phillips head screwdrivers
- Larger selection of punches
- Calipers
- Ball of string
- Flashlight and collapsible Luci light (great for just throwing into tight spaces as a work light)
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23   #6

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I have a sealed ammunition box with silica-gel inside for small tools that need to be easily accessed without rusting. A large bag for hammer, saw, bolt croppers, spanners etc. Its so heavy I can hardly lift it though!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...-/321801662144

I also have a smaller one for radios, remote controls, timers etc. anything I haven't "treated" against the marine environment.

The most helpful is our 26 Year old son who has no fear of heights and likes climbing up the mast (he has been known to drop tools though).
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:26   #7

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
How does underproofed differ from reg rums?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:32   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
How does underproofed differ from reg rums?
You can drink twice as much.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08   #9

These fabric bags have become my favorites for a number of reasons. Because they are soft they don't knocker up the boats. They conform to irregular surfaces and tend to stay put, rather than sliding around, such as on gelcoated surfaces. Their numerous internal and external pockets allow for much better organization, and minimize the amount of time spent searching for the right tool.. Since they are expandable they take up little more space than the precise amount of the tools they contain.

They're inexpensive; the 18" one pictured costs around $20.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23   #10

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
These fabric bags have become my favorites for a number of reasons. Because they are soft they don't knocker up the boats. They conform to irregular surfaces and tend to stay put, rather than sliding around, such as on gelcoated surfaces. Their numerous internal and external pockets allow for much better organization, and minimize the amount of time spent searching for the right tool.. Since they are expandable they take up little more space than the precise amount of the tools they contain.

Where's the pic?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:44   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

You also need a small mirror, especially for the engine.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:04   #12

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post

Thanks for this!

I was just out shopping for a new toolbox since the handle on my current, overstuffed one has been broken and replaced with a shoelace for the past few months. It suffers all the problems you describe, scratching floors as it slides around when I forgot to put it in its spot, obnoxious to set down where I want it because a handrail or something is in the way, etc.

I don't know why the idea of fabric tool bags never came to mind. Awesome.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:18   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dremel tool, kit.
"Glue and goo" box with Loctite (less than 2 years old, shelf life) and antiseize. Every threaded part either gets glue or goo, as appropriate.
Manual impact driver with bits. In case the PBlaster isn't enough.
Small maul, to whale away on the above and other "stuck" things.
Ball peen hammer, because claw hammes are made for nails, and when you hit large metal objects with them, parts of the hammer head may splinter off and embed in your eye.
And, eye protection.

One day I was working below while someone else was on deck drilling a hole in the mast. I wound up in the ER after a tiny aluminum splinter drifting down and got embedded in my eye. Goggles are cheaper than eyes.

Also, kevlar "trash handling" gloves. They work as sailing gloves or work gloves. They're cut and fire proof. You can handle hot engine and exhaust parts safely, and protect yourself from blades and debris. Cheap, looks like yellow cotton garden gloves. The oldest dirtiest set lives with the tools.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:23   #14

One of the most useful things was a small bandsaw and a combination disc/belt sander. Portable, take them into the boat for trim work etc. Saves a lot of trips in and out of the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 20:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Where's the pic?
Sorry for not pointing it out. Upper right corner of photo in the first post shows the bag I was referencing. Highly recommended.

Tags
boat