Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 16:44   #1

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
DIY Boatyard in Florida, need liveaboard amenities

Hello,

I"ve used the search function but have not been able to find exactly what I was looking for and hoped the think tank here might be able to assist me.

My wife and I have a 1978 Endeavour 32 that is in need of some work before we are ready to take her cruising that includes some of the following..

Bottom redone, topsides painted
Deck hardware rebedded, deck painted
Ports replaced with Newfound Metals Ports
Thru Hulls replaced (3 plugged or glassed over as well)
Solar panels, wind charging etc installed

Basically a lot of work and I plan on doing most of it myself.

What I am looking for is a boatyard that allows DIY work but also has skilled workers to assist or do a project I can't or find over my head. In addition to this though I need a boatyard that allows liveaboards and has some facilities like restrooms, showers etc. I'm also not opposed to a boatyard right near a campground where we can set up camp for a few months as we work on the boat.
I'm planning on best case scenario of 2 months, but more realistically 3 to 4 months.

Our ulitimate home destination is Marathon once shes floating and we finish the major stuff. I am open to just about anywhere in Florida, maybe even other areas if the location offered more opportunity (we will also be working at part time jobs just to help out)

I just need an honest fair place to work on my boat without hidden fees, nickle and dimers, where I can live and work for a few months. Just some facilities like showers,bathrooms. If anybody can help with suggestions I'd appreciate it. Price is a consideration but what I need is more important than saving a couple dollars.

Someone suggested a place called Out of the Blue Marina in Marathon but they don't even have a website.
Thin Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: DIY Boatyard in Florida, need liveaboard amenities

Try Westland Boat Yard in the Titusville Municipal Basin, Titusville, Florida.
Old 06-12-2012, 16:55   #3

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

I have finished a 9 month refit at Crackerboy Boat Yard in Ft Pierce, FL. They also have one in Riviera Beach, but not as nice.

You could do as much or as little as you want; the craftsmen available were excellent (we had a full paint job, where we did all the prep but had it professionally sprayed... came out great). You pay to store the boat and you must buy materials from the yard.

Another alternative which is very highly thought of is the Indiantown Boat yard on the Okochobee waterway... I don't believe you have to buy materials from them, and their rental rates are very reasonable. I coul dnot get in there due to mast height.

You will have much lower rates up the east coast of FL rather than in south FL or the keys... check out these yards.
Best of luck,
Michele
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:21   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

My boat is currently in the water in Merritt Island. I myself have been calling around looking to get work done.

I think Westland Boat as listed in the previous post is a good option depending on your budget and if you can get it on the hard and off again fairly quickly.

You could also move your boat to the Sanford area on Lake Monroe. Its about three days motoring up the St.Johns river from Jacksonville but the price per foot can't be beat anyplace I have looked. It is also located in a pretty nice downtown area with eateries and playhouses within walking distance.

Monroe Harbour Marina

Of course I am partial because I live here..
Old 06-12-2012, 17:34   #5

I also have a Yanmar that is in need of a little work and might even be considering a repower, so a facility that handles Yanmar or close to one is a bonus.. I'm checking all the suggestions and I'm finding a few to put on the call list for the next couple days.

I'm looking at a move date by May 1st and plan on getting her in the water again by Sept.
Old 06-12-2012, 19:20   #6

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Try Glades boatyard in Labelle, on the Caloosahatchee between Moore Haven and Labelle. Owners could be a little nickel and dime types, but overall a great place is used often with my last boat. Showers, work yard etc. *It has been 8 or9 years since I have used them* maybe someone here base more recent experience with them.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:20   #7

Boat: Block Island 40

I think Anglers Avenue Marine Center may be what you're looking for.

ANGLERS AVENUE MARINE CENTER
4470 ANGLERS AVENUE
DANIA BEACH, FL 33312
info@aamcmarina.com
(954) 962-8702
GPS: N 26 04.069’ W 80 10.034’

Check out their website.

Hoope this helps.
Old 06-12-2012, 19:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

+1 on Indiantown
Old 06-12-2012, 21:50   #9

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindsong View Post
I also have a Yanmar that is in need of a little work and might even be considering a repower, so a facility that handles Yanmar or close to one is a bonus.. I'm checking all the suggestions and I'm finding a few to put on the call list for the next couple days.

I'm looking at a move date by May 1st and plan on getting her in the water again by Sept.
We have our Endeavour at Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage....

Charlotte Habor Boat Storage - Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage - Boat Storage For Sail & Power

.... and are very satisfied and the place is used by a lot of cruisers. It is on the west coast (don't know where you are). If you are on the east coast you can take the ICW across the state to the boatyard.

Rates are as low as I've seen about anywhere and it is only another $25 a month for un-metered elect. (we ran an AC a lot). Their rates to haul you out and put you in or very resonable and if you have a yearly contract they will put you in and out I think up to 3 times at no additional charge (probably not important for you).

You can stay on the boat up to 3 months in one year, but that seems flexible. You don't have to buy supplies from the yard (in fact they don't sell them), but one of the contractors has decent pricing on paint (at least what we wanted was as cheap as I could find it on the Internet). Showers, rec room, everyone is friendly. We really like the place and spent 3 months there living on the boat last spring/early summer. It is quiet, but not too far from things, but you do need a car. Probably job opportunities in the area, but that is a guess. 3 West Marines that will price match not too far away (20-40 minutes). Home Depot and grocery about 5 minutes.

One thing I would caution on but it might not bother you. We were there from April to about the first of August. It got so hot and humid for us from early June to when we left that I just couldn't get a lot of done every day (4-5 hours max) and you have a lot to do. If you guys are young and full of energy you might do better than we did.

The yard does fill up since people like it so much so you want to get a spot requested before May as that is when a lot of the cruisers come back and put their boats up for hurricane season there. It is also inland some so does have some hurricane protection,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'just an added note about the post #4 by Garbone,- good advice and Sanford is a wonderful place, but be aware of the 45' MHW bridge clearance at Green Cove Springs. You can get 46.5' under here at about half the time.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:01   #11

Thanks for all the replies so far, I've got a couple questions..

Some of the yards I've found most promising require you to buy your suplies from them, and maybe that's commonplace but it rubs me the wrong way.

One of the marinas above said they don't require it but would appreciate it and would price match, now that sounds like the way it should be.

This Cracker boys place for example, are they competitively priced or are they making a lick off everything you need to buy?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Try Westland Boat Yard in the Titusville Municipal Basin, Titusville, Florida.
My Grandparents live right down the road and this place looks fairly nice, however their website is VERY vague. I'll give them a call later today, how are they on prices?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Depending on where you are, the boatyard in Green Cove Springs or Glades in LaBelle. Have the lowest rates by far. If you're nearby St Augustine, give me a shout via PM and I can help with any projects you require assistance with.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:44   #14

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindsong View Post
..Some of the yards I've found most promising require you to buy your suplies from them, and maybe that's commonplace but it rubs me the wrong way. .
For what you want to do those yards would simply be out of the question. If you need to also find work then that might be a deciding factor. We helped a friend move his boat from LaBelle to Port Charlotte and liked the area, but I would think work opportunities might be less there vs. some other places.

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02   #15

Boat: csy 37

the absolute cheapest boatyard in florida that i know of is green cove springs, just past jacksonville on the st. johns river, and on the 'good' side of the fixed bridge. two friends of mine are currently hauled out there. you can do almost any kind of work you want. the only problem with gcs is that it's in the middle of nowhere so you'll need a car to get around to buy almost anything.

i'm currently hauled out at westland in titusville, and i've been using that yard for the past ten years or so whenever i needed to haul. you can do practically anything you want although for paint spraying or heavy sanding you will have to tarp the boat. brush painting or light sanding no problem. they have excellent and skilled yard people. you do not have to buy anything from them; every morning the office is filled with packages of stuff that people have ordered from defender or west or somewhere else. they will offer to sell you bottom paint but no requirement to buy from them. they have new showers and heads and laundromat, free wifi, a boaters lounge, a canvas shop on premises, and lots of other cruisers and liveaboards. you're also right in town, a walk away from supermarkets, and there is a bus service that will take you around to shopping. there may be better places but i don't know of them....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard