Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 13:52   #1

Moorage in British Columbia, Canada

Can anyone help?? I spent a couple of years living aboard down south and am now in British Columbia, Canada. I have built a house here (in the interior) and am looking for moorage somewhere on the coast. I don't want to be on Vancouver Island as the ferry trip is long and expensive, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for marinas with space available on the mainland coast. Not 'living aboard' per se anymore but do plan on spending weeks at a time on the boat during the summer months. Any ideas??? Thanks to any willing to read and respond. (34' C&C, 6' draft)
carpe diem 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 14:02   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Moorage in British Columbia, Canada

A friend of mine has some in Degnen Bay on Gabriola. Float planes into nearby Silva Bay No water on the dock though...

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/boa/5949308497.html
Old 20-02-2017, 06:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, carpe diem.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 06:23   #4

Have you looked through Waggoners Guide and checked ALL the marinas on the mainland? Granted, compared to some major metropolitan areas there seem to be fewer doesn't mean you can't find one. Good luck. There was a post here within the last month asking pretty much the same question, but included the islands, too. If you're only coming here once a season and staying on the boat, perhpas you could consider the ferry trip a once a year cruise. I fyou were doing it weekly, I could well understand the hesitation.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:03   #5

I live in Kamloops and keep my sailboat in Campbell River. Try Point Roberts marina if you don't mind being in the USA, which is the closest marina to the interior. Blaine and Bellingham too. Alternatively, drive along the river in Ladner and that area and you might find something there. It is much more expensive moorage to be on the mainland side without the ferry ride.....
bhudak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:13   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We've spent a lot of time up in Pender Harbour just north of Sechelt. This is a great place to cruise - stunning locale, not a lot of people and still some amenities (diesel shop at one end of town and sushi at the other, I'm happy).

We were just at the Seattle Boat Show and funnily enough met the folks that are running "John Henry's". They have revamped it and are looking for boats looking for moorage. Give them a call - if you're not familiar with the area, you're going to love it. Good luck!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:56   #7

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We've spent a lot of time up in Pender Harbour just north of Sechelt. This is a great place to cruise - stunning locale, not a lot of people and still some amenities (diesel shop at one end of town and sushi at the other, I'm happy).

We were just at the Seattle Boat Show and funnily enough met the folks that are running "John Henry's". They have revamped it and are looking for boats looking for moorage. Give them a call - if you're not familiar with the area, you're going to love it. Good luck!
Note that to get to Pender Harbour there is still a ferry ride involved (Langdale). It's bad in the summer but not nearly as bad as VI. Also it works out to about half the cost.

If you want moorage in Pender I know a guy in Madeira Park with space. Get back to me and I'll try to find his contact info. Or haul out at Jacks Boat Yard in Lund. It's another ferry ride but right beside Desolation Sound. Great place. Great folks. They have an annual plan, complete with a storage shed for folks like you.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:15   #8

Boat: O'Day 40

Try Milltown Marina. Close to the airport so it's quick to access from the interior, but an hour up river from the salt chuck. They have a waiting list for your size but have been putting shorter boats into longer slips temporarily.
Concrete docks and no current or boat wash. We've had our boat here 3 years.
Fresh water is nice for maintenance but you have to keep your eyes peeled in the river for dead heads. For some reason the dead heads find power boats more attractive than sailboats.

Pier 73 is a newly renovated marina at a hotel just a little further up the river. It's virtually empty.
New wooden docks and a little cheaper but you have boat wakes and current to bounce you around. There is a swing bridge and another fixed bridge that you'd need to check the clearance on.
Old 20-02-2017, 12:50   #9

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Good luck with the moorage hunt. We went through it 11 years ago and ended up on Vancouver Island. Mind you, we were headed there to live within 4 years, not living in the interior. I'd be reluctant to moor a sailboat in the Fraser River personally - easy going down river, not so easy up - especially May- July when you're most interested in boating - never mind the river effects on the ocean. Stu's suggestion is a good one regarding the frequency that you use the boat. Where do you most want to cruise? Also consider that you could have the boat moored in an area where you're "instantly" cruising instead of having to get yourself out of the Vancouver area - time spent on a ferry may not look that bad. Cheaper moorage in many areas would offset ferry fares. This is a better source than Waggoner for canvassing marinas imo:
Boaters Blue Pages Marinas - West Coast Marinas Oceanfront Resorts Moorage Yacht Boat Docks British Columbia Puget Sound Pacific Northwest Washington - BoatersBluePages.com
It's put out annually in hard copy as a Pacific Yachting magazine supplement and is often available for free at many marine outlets in the area.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 12:50   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Check out Squamish.
Old 20-02-2017, 13:19   #11

Point Roberts and Reed Point are advertising available moorage
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:33   #12

Boat: Island Packet 445

Howdy

We moor in Blaine Harbour just over the border at Peace Arch crossing. It's a great marina - very well kept with new concrete docks and good services. I'd highly recommend it. Pricing beats anything in mainland BC even with the exchange rate. Having a Nexus card really helps with the border crossing.
Old 20-02-2017, 19:38   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhudak View Post
I live in Kamloops and keep my sailboat in Campbell River. Try Point Roberts marina if you don't mind being in the USA, which is the closest marina to the interior. Blaine and Bellingham too. Alternatively, drive along the river in Ladner and that area and you might find something there. It is much more expensive moorage to be on the mainland side without the ferry ride.....
On this note also consider Semiahmoo and Blaine, again across the border but just follow 99 to the Peace Arch and you're there (another 15 min to Semiahmoo but $100 USD cheaper than Blaine, no further south and great service and amenities including fuel discounts)
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 18:37   #14

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Deep Cove and some good sailing in Indian Arm. Also easy to fly into Powell River, lots of slips and you're already near paradise.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 19:08   #15

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

We are in Mosquito Creek in North Van. Not the cheapest but not most expensive either. You can stay on board for up to a certain number of weeks per year with no liveabord supplement - it is pretty generous. You can drive from the interior with no ferries, and lots of facilities close by (food, liquor, marine supplies, movies, restaurants etc). Access to the open strait is not bad - 1/2 hour to english bay. Further to the Gulf Islands than Pt Roberts but closer to Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, Desolation. More expensive than Squamish but more options for weekend trips, so I guess you get what you pay for!
Availablity around town is far better than it was a few years back where there was nothing available for any price so you have some options!
Good luck!
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, Canada, columbia