Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 21:40   #1

Boat: Cobbling one together
Seeking boat ideas, & build quality info

Hi all,
I'm kinda' new here, but not so much to boats, & am currently more racer than cruiser (bowman on a big boat). And I have a project where I could use a bit of assistance from ya'll if you'd be so kind. Here's the scoop. I'm about to get (formally) tapped to assist the owner's niece (24 or 25?) in finding an inexpensive cruiser, & am just making an initial list of boats that might make the cut. Let's say that the total budget is about $40k+/- for the boat, & basic cruising gear. So I'm figuring roughly $25k for the boat. Which needn't be blindingly fast, though anything that's a slug is out too. And this is project is in the idea stage right now, so locale's not an issue, other than primarily considering boats in the lower 48 (US).

So... I'm looking for ideas on boats in the 33'-40' range, crewed by 1-3 people. And for comments on their construction/build quality. Things like hull to deck integrity, good port lights, rudder strength (& impermeability), engine access, etc. Items that are essential to any good boat, & that are a humongous pain the ass to fix when they go awry. Though yeah, I know, it's more about the TLC they've gotten along the way. Still. Things like glassed hull to deck joints do help.

Comments on these "marques" (& others) are welcomed:
Pearson
Peterson
Ohlson
Morgan
Alberg

It's late, so I'm fresh outa' thoughts on what else I might add in order to help me to get good feedback. So if you've ideas, or questions on such, by all means, fire away. I'll appreciate the extra brain power assisting me/us in figuring this thing out. BTW, anyone got some software to help me to keep track of various candidate boats, & their respective pro's & con's: including what gear they have, & what they'll need?

Thanks, & everyone enjoy the Holiday Season! Be sure to snuggle with your sweetie to stay warm... that & well, break out the good rum
Old 12-12-2016, 23:09   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Columbia, & other inexpensive cruisers build quality questions

Ohlson and Alberg are both on the list? Well, where to start. Now why did you take Columbia off the list? Some models (I happen to have one) from the 60s were very well designed and very well built. For example mine is very close to the Pearson Triton in specs and vintage, but I think mine was built a little better (my rudder is not wood, for example) and sails a little better too. I don't care as much for the 70s models though, of just about any brand.
You might check the Plastic Classics social group here for some ideas and input. Also check the thread about "Plastic Classics" too.
But, I'd be wary of trying to pick out a boat for someone else. I did that once and lived to regret it!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...+classics.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...160329-27.html
http://bluewaterboats.org/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote